Hometowns?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:21:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Hometowns?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hometowns?  (Read 3481 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2004, 11:17:42 AM »

In terms of hometowns, what matters more: the town where you were born, or the town where you were raised?

For instance, would I get a bigger bump in Allen County, IN (Home of Fort Wayne, IN, where I was born), or Hennepin County, MN (Home of my current place of residence), where I moved when I was 4?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2004, 11:21:49 AM »

I say were you were raised.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:28:19 AM »

Your hometown will give you the biggest bump. Herbert Hoover won West Branch in 1932, when he won few cities in Iowa.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2004, 11:54:04 AM »

And LBJ won Gillespie county, TX in 1964 (Gillespie has voted GOP every election since the Civil War, except for 1912 and 1964)
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 04:53:52 PM »

I left where i was born when i was 2 months old and i was raised on several army bases.

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 05:42:46 AM »

LBJ and Hoover were born and raised at these places, at least for part of their youth.
If you're just born somewhere and immediately left, it won't matter unless that place is verysmall and obscure.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 11:00:10 AM »

Hoover won the votes of Stanford University in Oregon in both 1928 and 1932 (and a write-in in 1920) because he attended the first graduating class of Stanford.

He served his first elected position there, as Class Treasurer. He other elected position was US President.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 12:02:52 PM »

Hoover won the votes of Stanford University in Oregon in both 1928 and 1932 (and a write-in in 1920) because he attended the first graduating class of Stanford.

He served his first elected position there, as Class Treasurer. He other elected position was US President.

Is there another Stanford in Oregon or did you just type that wrong? THE Stanford University is in California (in or near Palo Alto).

He attened Stanford in Califnorina, my mistake. He had his home built on it's grounds.

I make enough mistakes while typing, don't I? Smiley My apologies.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2004, 06:11:24 PM »

I make enough mistakes while typing, don't I? Smiley My apologies.

Yes you do, espcially because there is no state of Califnorina Smiley

Grin

No harm intended Smiley
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2004, 09:07:35 PM »

In terms of hometowns, what matters more: the town where you were born, or the town where you were raised?

It would be most important which state/district you got elected to Congress/Governor/Mayor,etc.   in.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2004, 07:42:59 AM »

LBJ and Hoover were born and raised at these places, at least for part of their youth.
If you're just born somewhere and immediately left, it won't matter unless that place is verysmall and obscure.
Correction: LBJ was actually raised in neighboring Blanco County.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2004, 07:45:27 AM »

The Johnson name is gold in both counties
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2004, 07:50:30 AM »

The county town of Blanco is called Johnson City, so I guess that dates back to before LBJ. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2004, 07:56:36 AM »

The county town of Blanco is called Johnson City, so I guess that dates back to before LBJ. Smiley

Johnson City is named after an ancester of LBJ's... pretty much the only way a Democrat can win in that part of Texas is to have the surname "Johnson".
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 08:47:15 AM »

Johnson City is named after an ancester of LBJ's... pretty much the only way a Democrat can win in that part of Texas is to have the surname "Johnson".
Thank God that's a common surname! Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2004, 08:10:16 PM »

I was born and raised in the same city, however I didn't actually live in that city until I was about 9. I doubt I would get much of a boost there, considering that it's Bismarck, North Dakota.

Prior to living there, I live in solid Dem Ft. Yates, although that's due to it being located on the Sioux Indiana Reservation, so I'd win there easily anyway.

Since MSU, Mankato isn't a very big school, I'd probably do even better than average for a Democrat here assuming this is where I graduate.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2004, 10:58:53 AM »

It would be most important which state/district you got elected to Congress/Governor/Mayor,etc.   in.

+1
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2004, 08:30:28 AM »

I was born and raised in the same city, however I didn't actually live in that city until I was about 9. I doubt I would get much of a boost there, considering that it's Bismarck, North Dakota.

Prior to living there, I live in solid Dem Ft. Yates, although that's due to it being located on the Sioux Indiana Reservation, so I'd win there easily anyway.

Why did you live there? Tell me more! Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2004, 11:02:32 AM »

well my parents graduated from Minnesota State University, Moorhead (the city just across the river from Fargo) and then lived in Fargo for the couple years before I was born looking for jobs. My dad had a teaching degree and then got offered a job down there, so they took it. Then I was born shortly after, but was actually born in Bismarck because that's where the closest high quality hospital was. Both of my brothers were later born in the same manner. I lived there until 2nd grade and remember there being only one other white kid in my 2nd grade class. Well then when I was 9 my parents decided it would be be better to actually live in Bismarck rather than have to commute up there everytime we wanted to go to the mall or buy serious groceries, and because the schools were much better for me and my brother entering 1st grade. so my dad carpooled down there with some other peope in the same living situation for about a year until he got a job in Bismarck. Because of that I've always felt a familiarity and relation to Native American culture though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies