November - McCain vs Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:28:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  November - McCain vs Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: November - McCain vs Obama  (Read 13459 times)
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« on: March 18, 2008, 07:46:40 PM »

I doubt the south is more liberal. Maybe California is.

More liberal than 1964? Hell yeah, while the South isn't exactly a hot bed of progressivism and tolerance it's not exact living in the 1950s either.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 04:38:34 PM »

But, if you just look at the white vote, the south gives 70-90% of their votes to Bush.

Depends on what state you're looking at. I don't think there are many places where he got 90%. In fact, that's sort of my point. But if you want to believe that the South has not changed in the last 3 to 5 decades, go ahead. It's a bit too deluded for me to want to argue the point. I'll just point out that blacks can actually hold office in those states now.

Lynchings are also uncommon, segregation is no longer around, and there is a possibility that you could actually live as a gay person in parts of the South. Is it still behind the rest of the country? Of course however it has progressed since the 1950s. To say that it hasn't is quite delusional.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies