Another question for Democrats regarding Obama/Clinton
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:24:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Another question for Democrats regarding Obama/Clinton
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Another question for Democrats regarding Obama/Clinton  (Read 2063 times)
agcatter
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:55:42 AM »

Suppose at convention time Obama is up 100 or so delegates, but Obama continues to be under the microscope,  he's not the rock star he was a month ago, and Clinton is running 5 or 6 pts better against McCain than Barack?  In fact, let's say she leads consistently by 3 or 4 and Barack is behind 2 or 3 in all the polls.  What do the party big wigs do as far as their support and more importantly, what happens with the super delegates?

I say they go solidly for Hillary and put her over the top.  No way Dems are going to risk blowing a golden opportunity at the White House.  The polls could very well go this way (they're trending in that direction over the last week - Rasmussen, Newsweek today)

I hope that doesn't happen, but boy, I can sure see this coming.  Hope not as a Republican, as I'm in the camp that says Obama is by far the easier to beat in November.
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:47:37 AM »

The conventional thinking and wisdom seems to be shifting that Obama is the candidate that the republicans can beat easier.  He is too inexperienced particularly in Foreign Policy.  This is an "illusion" caused by the fact that Clinton has the party establishment behind her.  What happens if Obama wins and lines up a strong foreign policy team.  Say what you want about these guys as politician's but guys like Biden, Richardson, Sam Nunn, and George Mitchell do understand the world and will form an effective national security team to advise him.  Then add a cross over or two from the republican party with foreign policy credentials ( I thinking Colin Powell but maybe Chuck Hagel) and the issue of his foreign policy experience is minimized.  He has the right team.  The debate will be framed ( fueled by the news media ) as to what is our exit strategy for Iraq?  McCain made a huge mistake in saying we could be there for 100 years as long as we don't have causalities.  He cites Germany, Korea, and Japan.  These people want us there.  The Middle East doesn't want us there.  It's a different part of the world.  McCain will lose this debate and if Obama has foreign policy experience concerns minimized, he'll beat McCain here.  He'll beat McCain on the economy also.  In the end this is a change election and Obama will represent that over McCain.  He has the potential to blow McCain out if he gets rid of fear over his foreign policy experience.  Hillary on the other hand will have trouble hitting 51% of the vote with her negatives.

Now, it's clear that Obama will have some difficulty in OH, PA with the some bigots.  However, he'll bring in some young voters who will partially offset that. But he'll be really strong in CO, VA, Nevada, Missouri and other republican critical states   
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 11:59:46 AM »

My goodness...what is it with Republicans and these ridiculous "what if" scenerios lately.
8 out of 11 is not deserved
pollwatch99-b

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 12:07:10 PM »

My goodness...what is it with Republicans and these ridiculous "what if" scenerios lately.

Don't you know?  We are all part of a vast right wing conspiracy trying to figure out ways to damage the democrats.  So, we are discussing our secret plots
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 12:09:36 PM »
« Edited: March 08, 2008, 12:11:29 PM by agcatter »

To say that Obama "has some problems in Ohio and Pennsylvania" is an understatement.  Hide and watch.  As far as obama bringing in all these young voters to compensate for losing all those "bigots", I'll believe it when I see it.  It's talked about every election cycle and every election it doesn't ever happen.  Just ask President McGovern or President Kerry.  Remember 'vote or die"?

No one is going to worry about Obama's total lack of foreign policy experience because he has a stong "foreign policy team"?  Let's leave aside for the moment the fact that the average voter isn't gonna have a clue about either candidate's foreign policy team.  Zippo.  Even if they did, I can't think of anyone who would think no foreign policy experience at all is gonna be trumped somehow by who is on the candidate's campaign advisors on foreign policy are.

I want Obama to wrap up the nomination before Democrats come to their senses.  Please God, let it happen.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 07:35:41 PM »

If Obama enters the convention with a 100 vote lead in committed delegates, it would be absolutely inconceivable that the super delegates would hand Clinton the nomination, that is, unless they want a full fledged rebellion on their hands, half or more of the Democratic Party crying foul and refusing to support Clinton, the media extolling the lack of democracy in the Democratic Party, and John McCain riding the split in the Democratic Party to victory in November.

So if that's what the Democrats want, even though Obama has a 100 vote lead in committed delegates, go ahead and give Clinton the nomination and kiss the election goodbye.   
agcatter
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 09:00:29 PM »

Yes, by all means, nominate Obama.  I'm all for it.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 09:04:16 PM »

Yes, by all means, nominate Obama.  I'm all for it.

The term "Change" will be cliched by November if he keeps it up.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 04:59:43 PM »

What if my aunt had balls?

She'd be my uncle.  Next question...
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 06:25:07 PM »

Down with thinking!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies