Russia General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 10:01:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Russia General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Russia General Discussion  (Read 8578 times)
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »

Russia is doing one of these Greatest people competitions and the results (for now) are rather predictable:
http://www.nameofrussia.ru/rating.html?all=1
1.Stalin
2.Visotsky
3.Lenin
4.Nicholas II (especially considering who's above him!)
14.Yeltsin
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 04:28:28 PM »

I need a drink
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2008, 04:42:26 PM »

And he's quite ahead, too.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2008, 04:59:45 PM »

^^ Can't be surprised at all.

Vodka?
Albus Dumbledore
Havelock Vetinari
Congo, The Democratic Republic of the

Political Matrix
E: -0.71, S: -2.17

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2008, 05:20:45 PM »

Of course Vodka it's a Russia thread for god's sake.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2008, 12:58:31 AM »

Living people are excluded, otherwise Putin would probably lead.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »

Russia is doing one of these Greatest people competitions and the results (for now) are rather predictable:
1.Stalin
2.Visotsky
3.Lenin
14.Yeltsin

LOL.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2008, 04:26:07 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2008, 04:30:29 AM by Instant Karma »

Mixed Performance for Medvedev

By STEVE GUTTERMAN

RUSUTSU, Japan (AP) — Russian President Dmitry Medvedev came to his grandest global meeting yet with a mixed mandate: Start mending ties with the West, but stand fast on policies set by his predecessor and patron, Vladimir Putin.

His success, too, was decidedly mixed.

Medvedev's mostly solid performance at the meeting of leaders from the Group of Eight industrial nations set him apart from Putin, who cut a more confrontational figure than his handpicked successor.

But it was unlikely to settle doubts about his authority in Russia, where the popular Putin has formed power bases as the new prime minister and leader of the dominant political party — and has not ruled out a return to the presidency.

There also was no public sign that Medvedev convinced his G-8 counterparts that the emphasis he has placed on individual freedoms and the rule of law will bring real change in Russia, where Putin consolidated and expanded the Kremlin's power.

Putin, a longtime KGB officer, built much of his popularity at home by reasserting Moscow's global clout, and relations with the West have suffered from clashes on energy policy, jousting over influence in ex-Soviet republics and concern over the health of democracy in Russia.

Part of the brief for Medvedev, a 42-year-old former lawyer, appears to be to soothe rifts and help further Russia's efforts to increase its global economic and political influence — without backing down in crucial disputes.

Speaking for a resurgent Russia at a G-8 session shadowed by soaring fuel and food prices, Medvedev vowed to use his country's "growing capabilities" and abundant resources to help solve world problems.

But conciliation wasn't on the table for the missile defense system the U.S. wants to erect in eastern Europe. Medvedev angrily echoed Putin's virulent opposition to the plan — although he stopped short of repeating the Russian Foreign Ministry's threat of a military response.

Medvedev did meet the West halfway on Zimbabwe. He signed on to a G-8 statement promising punishment for culprits in election violence, but he balked at U.N. sanctions against President Robert Mugabe's government.

Although he spent years in the corridors of power as Putin's campaign manager and chief of staff, Medvedev had the air of a man still finding his balance at the top of the ladder.

Sometimes he seemed "comfortable and confident," as President Bush described him after their first sit-down meeting since his inauguration. At other times he seemed somewhat awkward or lost in the crowd. Still, there were no gaffes.

There also were no signs of significant breaks with Putin's policies. But none had been expected from Medvedev, who has described their political partnership as a tandem and said he will largely follow his predecessor's blueprints, in substance if not style.

Taking up Putin's confrontation with Washington over the eastward expansion of the West's influence, he reminded Bush that Russia adamantly opposes the American leader's support for NATO membership for the former Soviet republics of Georgia and Ukraine.

He also lashed out at the United States over the newly signed treaty allowing it to put a missile-tracking radar in the Czech Republic as part of the planned missile-defense system that the Kremlin says is a threat to Russia by weakening the deterrence of its own missile force.

"The situation deeply distresses us," Medvedev said at a news conference after the summit, promising unspecified "retaliatory steps."

Medvedev, meanwhile, used the summit to advertise initiatives that would weaken U.S. influence and strengthen Russia's world role: an overhaul of global economic institutions and a new security treaty encompassing Russia, Europe and North America — presumably replacing NATO.

Medvedev's meeting with British Prime Minister Gordon Brown leader also brought no visible progress on disputes that have brought their countries' ties to a low point.

Kremlin aide Sergei Prikhodko said Medvedev told Brown the key to improving ties is to focus on the future. Translation: Don't hope for a Russian climbdown on existing issues, such as its refusal to extradite the suspect in the killing of Putin critic Alexander Litvinenko.

His fellow leaders had little to say publicly about Medvedev's G-8 debut.

Bush called him "a smart guy who understands issues very well."

"I believe that when he tells me something, he means it," Bush added — words similar to his past descriptions of Putin.

I swear that Dmitry Medvedev boy has always been good towards his masters and his latest performance at the recent G8 summit in Japan has been no exception. I expect this charade, conducted by Putin to continue for a very long time, however I cannot see Medvedev becoming Stalinesque figurehead, thus re-opening the Gulag for political prisoners, expanding the power of the KGB, etc. That's a job only one man in 21st Century Russia can do. Vladimir Putin!
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2008, 05:16:31 AM »
« Edited: July 12, 2008, 05:45:34 AM by GMantis »

The usual ignorant rubbish about Russia, with even more foolish comments to fit it.
1. Putin was a KGB officer for a short time, spent most of it in an insignificant position in East Germany, before quitting in 1991.
2. Expecting Russia to be conciliatory in the face of NATO aggression should be too much for most journalists, but when they write about Russia, many journalists seem to forget what objectivity is.
3. Most self respecting countries don't deport their own citizens, especially to a hostile country. Maybe the British could show some goodwill by deporting the Chechen criminals they're hiding.
4. Putin really wasted his time if he intended to reopen the Gulags by waiting for 8 years and making no attempt to retain the presidency, though they were many proposals. Why should imprison democratic activists considering their unpopularity and ineffectiveness is another matter altogether.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: July 13, 2008, 12:38:19 PM »

3. Most self respecting countries don't deport their own citizens, especially to a hostile country. Maybe the British could show some goodwill by deporting the Chechen criminals they're hiding.

Indeed, Ukraine does.

Medvedev has apparently threatened to respond with "military-technical means" if the Czechs ratify the missile shield. I'm guessing he either leaves INF or sticks the refuelling probes back on the "Backfire" bombers.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2008, 12:54:55 PM »

1.Stalin
2.Visotsky
3.Lenin
14.Yeltsin

I'm going to be charitable to the Russian people and assume that the folks who picked option three and the folks who picked option four are completely different groups of people.  The idea of someone liking both Czar Nicholas II and VI Lenin is incomprehensible.

Also, why is Ivan IV the Terrible ranked higher than Peter I the Great?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2008, 04:17:58 PM »

I'm going to be charitable to the Russian people and assume that the folks who picked option three and the folks who picked option four are completely different groups of people.  The idea of someone liking both Czar Nicholas II and VI Lenin is incomprehensible.

Also, why is Ivan IV the Terrible ranked higher than Peter I the Great?
[/quote]
More importantly, why is Nicholas II, the worst of all the Russian Tsars, not only ahead of Peter I, but in second place (according to the current ranking) and ahead of Vysotski, one off the few on the list enjoing universal popularity?!
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2008, 02:03:47 AM »

After taking another look at the list of the Great Russians, thanks to Google Translator, I must admit I am surprised that famous Russian civil rights activist Andrei Sakharov is only placed 18th on the list of Great Russians. I would have thought that he would have been atleast in the top 10, though that's wishful thinking on my behalf. However, I am surprised that fellow Soviet dissident Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is not on the list, now Solzhenitsyn I would have thought would have been on the list.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2008, 03:46:34 AM »

After taking another look at the list of the Great Russians, thanks to Google Translator, I must admit I am surprised that famous Russian civil rights activist Andrei Sakharov is only placed 18th on the list of Great Russians. I would have thought that he would have been atleast in the top 10, though that's wishful thinking on my behalf. However, I am surprised that fellow Soviet dissident Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn is not on the list, now Solzhenitsyn I would have thought would have been on the list.
There was a previous round, where there were about 450 people and all but those 50 were eliminated.
What I'm surprised is that there are so many religious figures on the list.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: July 14, 2008, 09:22:06 AM »

What, Putin isn't in the Top 10?
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #65 on: July 14, 2008, 03:20:17 PM »

Living people are not allowed.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2008, 06:31:56 AM »

Ah, I guess that explains it.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »

What I'm surprised is that there are so many religious figures on the list.

You seem to have knowledges on Russia, are you really surprised about it?
Third Party
Rookie

« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2008, 07:10:27 PM »

Oh that it isn't surprising at all. Pro-West/neo-liberal politicians are hated by most people in Russia.

There was another poll from several years ago where 43% of the Russian population wants "another leader like Stalin." So this poll is not surprising at all.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #69 on: July 25, 2008, 09:09:23 PM »

"but he killed 3 of your grandparents!"

"yeah, but he looked really good in a uniform"
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2008, 01:17:20 AM »

"but he killed 3 of your grandparents!"

"yeah, but he looked really good in a uniform"

Not to mention a moustache to die for.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2008, 11:19:48 AM »

It's more like "He turned Russia into a superpower and won the Great Patriotic War".
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2008, 11:56:29 AM »

Anyway, Vysotsky has taken the lead for now. He at least is someone who is loved by all Russians, though Stalin is close behind.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies