2008: If Barack Obama had won the New Hampshire primary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:41:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008: If Barack Obama had won the New Hampshire primary?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008: If Barack Obama had won the New Hampshire primary?  (Read 2221 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2008, 10:43:26 AM »

If Obama had performed as the polls predicted and won the New Hampshire primary by around an 8 point margin, how would the Democratic primary race have shaped up afterwards?
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 12:01:06 PM »

One thing's for sure - I wouldn't have cursed like a sailor upon hearing the results that morning.

Secondly, it's hard to say. To some extent NH brought Hillary back into the race, but it could also be argued that Clinton's challenge made him go the extra mile to win South Carolina and other states as convincingly as he did.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 11:02:17 PM »

He probably would've steamrolled his way into her lead and could've actually won California as well. There was talk she should drop out if she lost NH by 8 points, so if he had lost there, she would've been in lots of trouble.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 12:36:07 AM »

Clinton would have been out right after Super Tuesday. I think it's good that it's been competetive up to a point. Would have been nice to end it in Texas or Penn.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 01:32:55 AM »

The map after Super Tuesday, when Clinton drops out.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 04:52:05 PM »

The map after Super Tuesday, when Clinton drops out.

I concur with Lief's map. If only those damn polls hadn't been wrong....
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -5.23, S: -2.52

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:48:27 PM »

This would be the map, if Hillary decided to drop out after Super Tuesday. Obama would have easily won the nomination and there would be no angry disgruntled Clinton supporters. A better question would be what office would Hillary currently hold in this scenario?
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 09:23:36 AM »

This would be the map, if Hillary decided to drop out after Super Tuesday. Obama would have easily won the nomination and there would be no angry disgruntled Clinton supporters. A better question would be what office would Hillary currently hold in this scenario?

White House janitor.
justW353
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.83

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 11:11:48 AM »

Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 05:46:04 PM »

There's no way Hillary wins MN. Obama won it after he lost NH, so Obama winning NH only increases his victory margin in MN. I also don't see Hillary winning NM if Obama wins NH, since she only won NM by 1% in RL and Obama's victory in NH would have given him enough extra momentum to win NM. I also think Uncommitted would have won in Michigan, even though that's a matter of opinion. BTW, what office do you think Hillary would currently hold if this scenario actually occured?
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 05:58:06 PM »

There's no way Hillary wins MN. Obama won it after he lost NH, so Obama winning NH only increases his victory margin in MN. I also don't see Hillary winning NM if Obama wins NH, since she only won NM by 1% in RL and Obama's victory in NH would have given him enough extra momentum to win NM. I also think Uncommitted would have won in Michigan, even though that's a matter of opinion. BTW, what office do you think Hillary would currently hold if this scenario actually occured?

I didn't mean to give Hillary Minnesota.  I was scrolling down the page and missed it.  I realized after posting, but had already closed the EV page.

As for NM, I don't know, I just think she'd pull it off.

As for Hillary, I think she'd still be Secretary of State.  She's pretty good at her job.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 06:13:15 PM »

I didn't mean to give Hillary Minnesota.  I was scrolling down the page and missed it.  I realized after posting, but had already closed the EV page.

As for Hillary, I think she'd still be Secretary of State.  She's pretty good at her job.

All right. Two more questions (for now): Do you think Hillary cried in NH on purpose? Also, who do you think would have won the Iowa caucuses and the nomination if Hillary had cried right before Iowa instead?
justW353
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 06:15:46 PM »

All right. Two more questions (for now): Do you think Hillary cried in NH on purpose? Also, who do you think would have won the Iowa caucuses and the nomination if Hillary had cried right before Iowa instead?

Yes, she cried on purpose.

Well, I don't think she had any reason to cry before Iowa.  She was already the presumptive nominee until Obama won Iowa.

I think Obama still would have won.
Derek
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 02:21:07 PM »

You know I don't really see a difference other than more early endorsements. Clinton wasn't going down til the convention and if the democrat party actually let their voters decide, then she would've been the nominee.
Bo
Rochambeau
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:48 PM »

You know I don't really see a difference other than more early endorsements. Clinton wasn't going down til the convention and if the democrat party actually let their voters decide, then she would've been the nominee.

Uh, the Democrats did let their voters decide. The pledged delegate totals are based on PV, and Obama won a majority of pledged delegates.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies