Australia 2007: Costello vs. Rudd
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:48:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Australia 2007: Costello vs. Rudd
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Australia 2007: Costello vs. Rudd  (Read 2314 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2007, 03:17:07 AM »
« edited: November 26, 2007, 03:23:01 AM by Lt. Governor Rockefeller Republican »

Let's say in July 2006, Prime Minister of Australia John Winston Howard announces after 10 years in power, that he'll step down as Prime Minister and thus handing the reins over to heir apparent Peter Costello. In late July, Costello is nominated unanimously by the Liberal caucus. For the Deputy Leadership of the Liberal Party, the Liberals select Bruce Baird, the member for Cook.

Like in RL, in December 2006, Kevin Rudd defeats incumbent ALP leader Kim Beazley for the ALP Leadership. Deputy Leader Jenny Macklin steps down from her position and is replaced by Julia Gillard.

How would Costello fare in the 2007 Election against Kevin Rudd. Would he do worse than Howard did on last Saturday or would he do better?
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 08:17:03 AM »

I believe if Costello took over Beazley would've remained opposition leader. That said, in this situation, I see Costello holding all the Victorian seats, Bennelong probably staying Liberal, and the rest more or less the same.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 09:48:20 PM »

I think Bennelong would've been won by the Labor candidate - the seat is essentially swing/Labor lean in its demographics. With Howard gone, the sentimental vote would've evapporated.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 08:22:19 AM »

With Howard gone, McKew would not have run, and I think she is personally responsible for at least 2% more than Howard is in the seat.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 08:54:45 AM »

I don't mean McKew, I think whoever the Labor candidate was would have won.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2007, 03:19:17 PM »

I don't mean McKew, I think whoever the Labor candidate was would have won.

I would have to agree with Polnut on this one. McKew only ran against Howard because she was brought in as one of Krudd's "Celebrity Candidates" to knock off high profile ministers. As I saw on Insight on SBS once, Bennelong only went for the Liberal Party because of Johnny Howard. The day he stepped down, was the day Bennelong would switch to the ALP.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008, 10:58:48 PM »
« Edited: March 02, 2008, 05:49:15 PM by Smid »

Deakin and Corangamite would have stayed Liberal. Libs may have done better in Sturt in SA, but he won anyway. Maybe wouldn't have lost Makin in SA. Probably wouldn't have influenced Solomon in NT. Probably would have done a little worse in NSW than otherwise, but I can't pick seats there. Would have done worse in Qld, but the Rudd factor swamped that and I think wouldn't have resulted in any changes - including the Liberal (now marginals) of Dickson and Bowman. The Howard effect in Qld was strongest in the outer-suburban seats of Longman, Petrie, Moreton and possibly Forde and Blair, although I think Forde was Liberal more because of the retiring Member rather than the Howard factor, so I don't think that result would have changed. If Beazley had stayed on following the Liberal leadership change, and no Rudd challenge, Dickson wouldn't be marginal and Bowman may not have been and Petrie might still be Liberal and possibly Longman (although that's a tougher call to make). Howard was very popular in Moreton, but Rudd ended up being more popular. Probably would have been the same result there. 
defe07

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 12:10:16 AM »

I think a map would look great. Is there any way where we could get a map? It's just not the same without one. Sad
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »

I think a map would look great. Is there any way where we could get a map? It's just not the same without one. Sad

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies