Clinton To Take Wisconsin? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 12:51:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Clinton To Take Wisconsin? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clinton To Take Wisconsin?  (Read 9508 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: March 20, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »

J. J., your continuing this argument is really disappointing to me.  You were wrong.  Sure, BRTD is a graceless hack, but he fundamentally is correct.  Your argument is intellectually dishonest and I'm pretty sure you know it.

The Clinton +6 poll from ARG was a clear outlier.  Other polls around it were showing clear gains for Obama, and in fact it was a gain from ARG's last poll for Obama too.  You have to really go out on a limb to make such a number appear to be "tightening."  Besides, your original quote was:

I'm not crazy about ARG or Zogby, but some of the other polls have been showing a tightening of the race.

You provided evidence with...an ARG poll.  So what non-ARG poll showed tightening?  There was none.  PPP went from O+11 to O+13.  Research 2000 and Rasmussen both recorded moderate Obama leads in their first polls - Strategic Vision did too, shortly beforehand.  To make your argument, you would have to:

1. Trust ARG above all other pollsters;
2. Create a trendline that totally ignores pollster's past relative slants on the race;
3. And ignore the swings observed between ARG's last poll and their newest ones that everyone but ARG was seeing.

And you're too competent for that.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 07:47:32 PM »

While I haven't payed close attention to this little feud and I have a lot of respect for JJ, yeah, he has been a little bit hackish for Clinton (though nowhere near the level of many, if not most, Obama supporters on here) but I think we all know the reason why you're going after him so incessantly. And I think you proved your point and had your fun. As I said, New Hampshire was a long time ago, and it's time to give it a rest.

I'm confused about what New Hampshire has to do with this?  Have I been missing a BRTD diatribe?

I have respect for J. J. too.  Which is why it pains me to see him wasting his analytical skill with unapologetic hackery under the guise of objectivity.  He's way better than this.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 11:14:30 PM »

JJ predicted that Clinton would win New Hampshire by 2%. BRTD laughed at it and even posted it in the Comedy Goldmine. Much ridicule followed. Ever since he goes after JJ at every turn, digging up every statement he makes on the race, using language that is unusually aggressive even by BRTD's standard. I think the connection is pretty clear.

Yes, which is why I'm ignoring BRTD and don't bother holding him up to any standard whatsoever.  But I think you may be confusing him with someone else...

As I said, I haven't followed the Wisconsin stuff closely, but I do think JJ has entered into the land of hackery at times, which is sad because, yes, he is better than that. By the general forum standard though, I don't think he stands out in the field of hackery at all though.

No, but I think he's pushing pretty insidious hackery...competent-sounding hackery.

Most of BRTD's stuff is just meaningless "CLINTON SUCKS!" stuff.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies