Hinduism and Terror

<< < (2/3) > >>

minionofmidas:
The situation of Christians in India is not the same all over India...
In a nutshell:
In Goa and Kerala, Christians are very long established and a very large minority of the popluation (35% in Goa, 19% in Kerala). Keralan Orthodox christianity claims to date back to the Apostle Thomas and certainly dates back to at least the 3rd century AD. In Goa, it's Portuguese. Most Anglican and Catholic christians in Kerala are descendants of the orthodox Christians. These consider themselves to be descendants of Brahmins, and are of pretty high social status. (There are Dalit Christians in Kerala too, though.)
Neighboring Tamil Nadu is the most Christian of India's really major states - 5,7% in 1991. Tamil christianity, also dating back to portuguese missionary activity, is essentially syncretist, with Christians worshipping in certain Hindu temples, wearing caste marks on their forehead etc. I believe it's mostly lower- and middle caste in origin. Tamil Christians are also found in parts of Andhra and Karnataka (such as in Bangalore, where they mix with Goans and "Anglo-Indians").
In Central and Northern India there are very few Christians, most of them Dalits and Tribals - more Tribals than Dalits, I believe. This, especially central India, is where Christians get hell from Hindu estremists. Numerous reasons, I guess - sociocultural "keep 'em down", also the relative absence of Muslims as enemies to pick on (Orissa is about 2% Christian, 2% Muslim, with most Muslims recent immigrants and anyways not making converts).
Some of the tiny, tribal states of the Northeast have very high Christian proportions as whole tribes, which were never Hindus in the first place, were converted to Christianity in the late 19th and early 20th century. Nagaland and Mizoram are over 80% Christian (though it seems Naga christianity hasn't changed Naga customs much). These regions have their own ethnic violence problems, but Hindu nationalist organizations are not a major player here.

Brambila:
Because they're tribal makes violence happen? India is full of tribes, Muslim; Hindu; and Christian. Simply because they're tribal doesn't make violence. Even in Bombey and Goa, both with large Christian populations, there is persecution.

And the Kerala Christians are called St. Thomas Christians or Syro-Malabar (or Syro-Malakan) Rite Catholics. They are not Orthodox, but accept the Pope as the vicar of Christ and head of the Patriarchs.

opebo:
I'm pretty sure that most Hindu 'terror' is directed at Muslims, and is a quite understandable response to similar tactics on their part.  I'd like to see how humane we could be living with a 10%+ Muslim minority.

David S:
I agree with Opebo. I think most of the attacks are directed against Muslims. (We should be worried about that? Maybe we should invite more Hindus here!)
I've known many Hindus in my lifetime and I think they are some of the most peaceful people in the world.

minionofmidas:
Quote from: Brambila on August 16, 2004, 10:10:42 AM

Because they're tribal makes violence happen? India is full of tribes, Muslim; Hindu; and Christian. Simply because they're tribal doesn't make violence. Even in Bombey and Goa, both with large Christian populations, there is persecution.

And the Kerala Christians are called St. Thomas Christians or Syro-Malabar (or Syro-Malakan) Rite Catholics. They are not Orthodox, but accept the Pope as the vicar of Christ and head of the Patriarchs.

You got me wrong on the first one...that's not quite what I was saying.
Kerala Christians have split into half a dozen groups on who to recognize and what rite exactly to follow. And on whether to use Aramaic or Malayalam in the liturgy. And so on...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page