1988-Gore/Clinton v. Bush/Quayle
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:40:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1988-Gore/Clinton v. Bush/Quayle
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1988-Gore/Clinton v. Bush/Quayle  (Read 2824 times)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 02, 2008, 01:59:56 PM »

Democratic

President: Senator Al Gore of Tennessee
Vice President: Governor Bill Clinton of Arkansas

Republican

President: Vice President George H.W. Bush
Vice President: Senator Dan Quayle of Indiana

Discuss with maps.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 05:51:49 PM »

Bump
GPORTER
gporter
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 05:28:12 PM »

Bush/Quayle: 392
Gore/Clinton: 146

Not much difference, the democratic ticket gains a few closer states, but still a big victory for Bush.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 05:46:47 PM »

Not much difference, the democratic ticket gains a few closer states, but still a big victory for Bush.

I don't know if Clinton would make the same mistakes as Dukakis. Let's remember our history, shall we?... Dukakis came out of the convention with a 24 point lead, and he let it whittle away with poor campaigning, and public blunders. Clinton would not have made the same publicity missteps. I think Clinton and Gore would've had an oppertunity to win.
GPORTER
gporter
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 05:57:46 PM »

I don't know if Clinton would make the same mistakes as Dukakis. Let's remember our history, shall we?... Dukakis came out of the convention with a 24 point lead, and he let it whittle away with poor campaigning, and public blunders. Clinton would not have made the same publicity missteps. I think Clinton and Gore would've had an oppertunity to win.

After the Reagan endorsement for Bush, and Reagan campaigning for Bush, and the fact that Gore is at the top of ticket, not Clinton. I think that Bush would have won big.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 06:13:11 PM »

After the Reagan endorsement for Bush, and Reagan campaigning for Bush, and the fact that Gore is at the top of ticket, not Clinton. I think that Bush would have won big.

Ah, yes, of course, because Reagan campaigns for Bush, Bush cannot lose.  I could see Gore taking more of the South, and really making the race much closer.  Gore would not have made the same mistakes as Dukakis, and Bush's shameful attacks would not have worked, either.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 06:27:53 PM »

Ah, yes, of course, because Reagan campaigns for Bush, Bush cannot lose.  I could see Gore taking more of the South, and really making the race much closer.  Gore would not have made the same mistakes as Dukakis, and Bush's shameful attacks would not have worked, either.

Disagree on WA, OR, CA, WI, PA right off the bat.
The Hack Hater
AloneinOregon
Virgin Islands, British

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 06:30:08 PM »

Disagree on WA, OR, CA, WI, PA right off the bat.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 06:31:54 PM »

Gore wins 277-261
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 07:10:22 PM »

Bush wins.

Gore wins.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 07:11:13 PM »

You don't think Gore could carry Tennessee?
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »

Where's my thank you Mr. Porter?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 07:50:48 PM »

You taught him how to make a map?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 07:53:25 PM »

You taught him how to make a map?

Yup yup yup.
auburntiger
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.61, S: 0.65

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 10:24:28 PM »

Louisiana and Georgia are also possible switches to Gore, as they were swing states at the time. I think Connecticut would have gone for Bush that year too- if Dukakis couldn't win a neghboring state, I don't see why it would vote for a southerner. Possibly Vermont as well.

I think all three West Coast states would have gone for Bush. In Oregon and Washington, if you look at trends and respective candidates, John Kerry and Michael Dukakis did alot better relative to the national average than did Clinton or Gore. Northeastern liberals vs. southern Democrats. Reagan would have delivered CA to Bush by a very close margin as well.
perdedor

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 10:50:29 PM »

Gore, unlike Dukakis, does not allow his campaign to completely disintegrate...surrendering a 23 point lead. While the election is relatively close electorally, Gore wins handily and makes major inroads into the western United States, as Dukakis came very close to winning the Dakota's and Montana in 88'.

Gore/Clinton - 317 EVs; 54%
Bush/Quayle - 221 EVs; 45%
Others - 0 EVs; 1%
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2008, 05:33:27 AM »

I don't, to be honest. He lost TN in 2000 when he was actually running.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:50 AM »

I don't, to be honest. He lost TN in 2000 when he was actually running.

But remember, in 1988 he was still a relatively popular Senator, rather than someone who had been out of the state for 8 years.  Plus, I don't think he would have ignored TN like he did in 2000.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies