I just talked to my swing voter brother
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:17:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  I just talked to my swing voter brother
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I just talked to my swing voter brother  (Read 1456 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 08, 2008, 06:18:34 PM »

He really likes Obama. He's definitely voting for Obama. See Obama is half-Kenyan, and one of his best friends is from Kenya. So he'll vote for Obama so we can have someone part Kenyan as president!

But he won't vote for Hillary. His ex-girlfriend was named Hillary and she ended up being a total bitch. So he's never going to vote for anyone named Hillary. He won't vote for McCain either, because he's worried McCain will get a PTSD attack and then nuke some random places.

And he's a swing voter! So that's telling, Obama will win and he'll obviously crush McCain!
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »

But he won't vote for Hillary. His ex-girlfriend was named Hillary....
Um, Hillary is typically a man's name. Hilary with one l is usually a woman's name.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 06:25:05 PM »

Wow.  Your anecdotal evidence is getting as bad as Naso.

I met a girl today who likes Huckabee, Romney, and Obama.  Obviously Obama is going to win.  OBAMA RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 06:28:25 PM »

I met a girl today who likes Huckabee, Romney, and Obama.  Obviously Obama is going to win.  OBAMA RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!!!

Isn't it pretty clear that he was mocking Naso?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 06:41:53 PM »

Isn't it pretty clear that he was mocking Naso?

Really?  I thought he was quite serious.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 08:21:27 PM »

I know a New Yorker who would vote Obama but not Clinton in the GE. Clearly Clinton is going to lose New York in the general.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 08:25:03 PM »

LOL

Naso told me about his topic earlier today. I wish he didn't delete it.

"Purple lipstick"
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 08:50:02 PM »

Um, Hillary is typically a man's name. Hilary with one l is usually a woman's name.

I posted about this sort of thing before.  One year I kept meeting many girls named Ashley.  My cousin had a little girl about ten years ago.  Named her Ashley.  Ashley?!  The only Ashley I knew in high school was a boy.  And the name evokes a septegenarian English butler.  Ashley is a skinny, uptight and very, very old man.   

Hillary, on the other hand, makes me think of the mountain climber.  That's mainly what I think about when I see the name, in vacuo.  Hillary?  Yeah, he's that guy that first climed Mount Everest.  But then Hillary was actually his surname.   I suppose you're right, though.  It's like Ashley, that way, as a first name.  A name most folks would probably only give a boy.  Except that nowadays, honestly, most folks I have met named Hillary (and Ashley) are girls.  How weird is that?

I suppose it's not as weird as the woman who played Mrs. Walton on The Waltons.  Her name was Michael Lerner.  Ouch.  Thanks, mama, I owe you one.

You and I are social conservatives, you realize.  This sort of comment is definitely a manifestation of social conservatism that you can't run from.  I may not have a problem with two men marrying, and I may think prostitution and cocaine and marijuana ought to be legal, and I certainly don't think the government ought to try to prevent bimbos with unwanted foeti from terminating their pregnancies, especially since forcing said bimbo to to carry it to term usually means we all end up spending more tax dollars on welfare.  But I do get upset when a couple gives a girl child a man's name.  Ergo, I have a rather conservative worldview.  As do you.

That said, I think BRTD is right.  Obama will win.  Not because he's Kenyan.  Not because Hillary's name is Hillary.  And not because somewhere out in Flyover Country there's a suburban Minnesota Redneck with a Kenyan best friend who thinks it's "cool" to have a president who's daddy was born in the same country as the best friend.  But because Obama is not McCain.  He's fresh.  He's a voice for the short-attention-span-theater generation.  He's malleable.  He doesn't come across as someone who'd beat you with a stick if you disagree with him.  That's what we want nowadays.  We want not to be beaten with a stick.  We're tired of being beaten with sticks.  We're tired of the Arkansas Hillbilly and his wife playing the Politically Correct game, we're tired of the Connecticut Yankee in the Cowboy Hat playing wild wild west in the Near East and expecting everyone else to play along out of a sense of misguided nationalistic paranoia.  We're tired of being told we're naive.  We don't need to hear about how much God loves Hippies.  We don't need to hear about how much God hates Hippies.  We don't need to hear about how bad the French stink or how you gotta put up statues for every one that was ever wronged.  We want to be able to play our guitars, love our children, play nice with everybody, breathe clean air, and have a shot at getting a bunch of dollars if we work hard enough.  But we also don't want anyone promising to give us guitars, force our neighbors to play nice, or clean up our air, or give us dollars.  We'd rather hear someone say, "hey, you lazy s.  Yeah, I'm talking to you.  You need to clean up your own gardens.  You need to buy your own guitars.  With your own hard-earned dollars.  Come with me and I'll try to remind you of that every day.  But I don't promise to buy you anything.  Only to show you the store where you can buy that stuff.  Here's the store where they sell clean air.  Here's the store where they sell good education for your child.  Here's the store where they sell peace and prosperity.  But you still need to have dollars to go in there and buy stuff.  So start to figure out how you're going to get some dollars."  And that's what Obama says.  And, at least for me, that's a nice reminder.  A resonant message, as they say.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 08:51:20 PM »

I am hearing the same thing from most swing voters. 
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 09:14:35 PM »

What was the contents of the post this is making fun of?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 09:24:08 PM »

Naso claiming that his "swing voter sister" has said that she will never vote for Obama because he "looks like he's wearing lipstick" and will never vote for Hillary because despite being a woman she believes no woman should ever be president.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 09:24:48 PM »

Naso deleted his retarded excuse of a topic?
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 09:25:13 PM »

Naso claiming that his "swing voter sister" has said that she will never vote for Obama because he "looks like he's wearing lipstick" and will never vote for Hillary because despite being a woman she believes no woman should ever be president.

Hahahaha, this is great then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »

No. To be fair, she apparently said she wouldn't vote for him because "he looks like an arrogant asshole."
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2008, 11:57:04 PM »

Hillary is a name like Ashley or Lauren that has migrated from being masculine exclusively to being feminine exclusively.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2008, 02:03:14 AM »

Hillary is a name like Ashley or Lauren that has migrated from being masculine exclusively to being feminine exclusively.

Lauren? Really?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2008, 02:05:48 AM »

Lauren? Really?

Yep, although the masculine version has shifted into Loren.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2008, 02:06:32 AM »

Lauren? Really?

Yep, although the masculine version has shifted into Loren.

Interesting. I did not know that.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 06:52:41 AM »

I am hearing the same thing from most swing voters. 

This actually made me laugh more than the first post, even though both are funny.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 08:58:24 AM »

Does he swing both ways?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies