Who had a Better night Obama or Clinton?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:46:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Who had a Better night Obama or Clinton?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Poll
Question: Who had a Better night on Feb. 5th Obama or Clinton?
Obama

Clinton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Who had a Better night Obama or Clinton?  (Read 9949 times)
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix
E: 8.77, S: 8.79

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2008, 04:44:27 PM »
« edited: September 12, 2008, 12:45:33 AM by WilliamWallace »

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2008, 04:45:30 PM »

I think that our new friend is so special that he deserves a toy all of his own:

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #102 on: February 06, 2008, 04:48:13 PM »

MSNBC has Obama leading 838-834 with pledged delegates. Of course, Clinton leads superdelegates.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2008, 04:53:29 PM »

California was considered a toss-up, and ended up a bit more solid for Clinton than expected.  Result: a small public victory for Clinton.

Elsewhere, a small public victory for Obama thanks to the overall state wins, the "we've surged in a few months" argument, Missouri and Connecticut.

Most importantly, all of the news coverage was of a tie.  Some news sources focused on Obama winning more states (and probably more delegates); others focused on Clinton's California win.  There were no big news stories either way, even from the sensationalist newspapers.  That says a lot.

This is really not a big public perception deal either way, and I'm amazed that the Clinton and Obama die-hards are spinning it that way.  Man, you guys are really true believers, both in the American public and your candidates.

I'm reminded of the fact that even in the 1950's (in Britain, btw) it was estimated that about a third of the population had no real knowledge of or interest in current events. And this a time in which turnout at general elections here hovered around 80%.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2008, 04:53:53 PM »

MSNBC has Obama leading 838-834 with pledged delegates. Of course, Clinton leads superdelegates.

Man, I don't think you could have asked for a closer race.
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: February 06, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2008, 12:45:58 AM by WilliamWallace »

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2008, 05:01:50 PM »

Substantially more. Not effectively equal numbers.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
[/quote]As if that was the only thing that mattered. Massachusetts was never a likely candidate for an Obama win.

[/quote]Missouri is hardly a strongly Black state. They're just very concentrated. (No, I'm not "shocked".) CT was always going to be Obama's best state in southern New England, but I wouldn't have guessed him to win it.

Under no circumstances would I EVER vote for Hillary! She could be running against Kermit the Frog, and Kermit would get my vote. Beyond that, Obama is inspiring, positive and hopeful.
[/quote]Well, Kermit... yeah, I'm tempted to agree. But not anybody from the original Republican field.
LOL at Hillary being "cruel". Seems like the 94 Radio Right Brainwashing has caused lasting damage to the American psyche.... As for cunning and manipulative... All successful politicians are. Up to a point. Obama is.  As for "inspiring and positive", that's just a friendly way of saying "manipulative".
And drop the annoying ! if you want people to take you seriously. Just a friendly suggestion. Wink
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2008, 05:15:09 PM »

Hillary loaned herself 5 million dollars. She has maxed out her donors.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #108 on: February 06, 2008, 05:24:39 PM »

Oh man, she had better hope the media doesn't make too big of a deal out of it - having to finance your own campaign when you're supposed to be the front runner is a sure sign than your campaign is in trouble, and people are going to pick up on that.
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #109 on: February 06, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

Welcome to the Forum, Ghost Monkey. I am annoyed that some of my peers are attacking you simply because you are new. We were all new at some point.

I think the "Hillary!" thing is funny. Its not just a joke, she really is very forceful and overpowering, so it has some truth to it.

JJ wants Clinton to win because she will be easy to defeat in November. Clay has no excuse to support her, except that he's a white Southerner (I don't know why they don't like Obama, its not just because of his race, its probably other issues, she's always done well with poor people too.)

Sam I didn't know you were a registered Democrat. Why do you still have a green avatar? You and Harry support Hillary, which further supports my statement above.

Clinton was supposed to win California, New York and Massachusetts. Just because 2 senators endorsed Obama doesn't mean that he'll win the state. At the very last minute, the CA polls said Obama, but lots of people voted early, which I don't think should be allowed. All of those wasted votes for Edwards could have helped Obama there (not enough to win though).

I think Obama should campaign a lot in central and southern Ohio, the Rio Grande Valley, and urban areas of Texas over the next month.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #110 on: February 06, 2008, 06:48:49 PM »

Oh man, she had better hope the media doesn't make too big of a deal out of it - having to finance your own campaign when you're supposed to be the front runner is a sure sign than your campaign is in trouble, and people are going to pick up on that.
I'm watching Tucker for some reason, and that's all he's talking about. He also just said that some of Clinton's staff are forgoing their pay, which reminded everyone on the panel of another New Yorker who recently dropped out.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #111 on: February 06, 2008, 07:14:25 PM »

Here's the story.

http://thepage.time.com/2008/02/06/page-exclusive-some-clinton-senior-staff-working-without-pay/
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: February 06, 2008, 08:15:15 PM »
« Edited: February 06, 2008, 08:18:24 PM by Wakie »

When did you start?

Yeah, I came onto this forum 6+ years ago.  Typically newbs don't come in shilling like a madman posting to only 1 thread.

Wrong again. http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20080206/cm_thenation/15281018[/quote]

Ahh yes, the Nation.  Because you know "no one owns the Nation" ... except that CNN is showing it 580 for Clinton and 571 for Obama, http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/

I trust CNN more than I trust "The Nation".

Hillary! Had huge leads in both MA and CA. Even the last SUSA poll had Hillary! +13 in CA. She was supposed to win Both. She did what she was supposed to do. That's not a "victory".[/quote]

A win is a win is a win.  The Patriots were supposed to the AFC Championship over the Chargers.  They did.  But because they were supposed to does that make it "not a win"?

Hillary! had consistant leads in these States. Consistant. Like it or not, you can't change those facts.[/quote]

And Obama had leads in states you crowed about.  Again, last night was a draw.  Saying otherwise is pure spin.

Nonsense. Hillary! supporters have tried to play the gender card over and over again. Her supporters support her because of what is between her legs. They brand anyone who dares speak out against the machine as "anti-woman". [/quote]

Ahhh ... I see, you're a mind-reader.  The only reason someone would support a former First Lady of the last Democratic President over someone who was still in Law School while she was living in the White House is because of gender bias?

Jesus, why not just play the race card?  Oh wait ... you did ....

The fact is, many Hillary! supporters have attacked Obama's race. They keep trying to paint him as the "Black Candidate" when he is anything but. [/quote]

Give me an example.  Look buddy, race has nothing to do with this election.  Yes, Obama is black.  I also hear he smokes and has 10 fingers and 10 toes.  Whoopie.

Yeah .... I remember 8 years when idiots on the Hard Left said the same thing about Gore.  He was too right-wing.  All he wanted was power.  Voting Nader would push the Dems to the left.  No way would Bush win.  And even if he did how much damage could he do?  And certainly he'd be out in 4 years.

Were you a Nader voter?
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #113 on: February 06, 2008, 08:33:06 PM »

People are generally stupid and poorly-informed, not just stupid.
I couldn't agree more.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: February 06, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »

People are generally both more intelligent and less well informed than the political and media classes like to think.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2008, 08:37:27 PM »

No doubt Obama.  Although I'm pleased with how Hillary did, Obama was more impressive.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 06, 2008, 08:41:02 PM »

People are generally both more intelligent and less well informed than the political and media classes like to think.

Well, intelligence is irrelevant here.

What's relevant is:

1. Ability to analyze political results realistically
2. Keeping up with said political results

In both cases, the average American fails much too miserably for last night to mean much.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »

Well, intelligence is irrelevant here.

What's relevant is:

1. Ability to analyze political results realistically
2. Keeping up with said political results

In both cases, the average American fails much too miserably for last night to mean much.

Like I said, most people are even less well-informed about politics than we (ie; all those inside some form of political bubble) realise.
Thomas Jackson
ghostmonkey

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2008, 09:13:24 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2008, 12:46:18 AM by WilliamWallace »

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2008, 09:49:24 PM »

JJ wants Clinton to win because she will be easy to defeat in November. Clay has no excuse to support her, except that he's a white Southerner (I don't know why they don't like Obama, its not just because of his race, its probably other issues, she's always done well with poor people too.)

No, sorry, I've thought she would be the likely winner after NH.  I do thing Obama is over-hyped (and I actually think that's hurting him).

Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2008, 11:00:51 PM »

I don't get it. It's typical of Hillary! and her supporters. I am happy and excited over how well Obama did last night, so when I come to a political forum to post about it, I get attacked for being the "new guy."

No, you get laughed at for exaggerating last night's results.

LOL ... ahh yes, the Nation has more credibility than CNN.  I'm sure.  But since you seem to like MSNBC, lets use their numbers.  Now what is being discussed are the results from last night only (as in who got more electors LAST NIGHT).  Here's the MSNBC link, http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21660914

The 838-834 number which you cited is ALL delegates (so it includes NH, SC, IA, etc) allocated thus far.  Go back and add up the states which voted last night for the Dems.  That is AL, AK, AZ, AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, GA, ID, IL, KS, MA, MN, MO, NJ, NM, NY, ND, OK, TN, and UT.  Now ... use the MSNBC link and add up the delegates.  Clinton got 786, Obama 775.

As I said, last night was a draw.  Good for both of them.  Can you look past your Barack support and admit that Hillary did well?

Actually the only time I've heard the gender card used is when someone launches a "Hillary is a d*ke" attack or "no one will respect a woman as our leader".  And yes, I've heard those in campaign.  On the flip side I CONSTANTLY hear that if you question Obama on anything it is because you are racist.  Compare him to a failed Dem candidate for President?  You're a racist.

You also need ideas to run a country.

Riiiight because that is a completely fair assessment.  Here's a better one.  Lets say your wife was the CEO of a Fortune 500 company and you were involved in the management of the company, so closely involved that you managed one of the major initiatives undertaken by her management team (Healthcare).  As married couples do you constantly discussed business.  When she retired you then spent 8 years in a high executive position.  Now you are up for a CEO job and it is safe to assume that she will be right along with you as an advisor throughout.  Yeah, I'd say you'd be bringing some nice credentials to the table.

Nope, but I must have missed whatever it is that you are on about.  The relevant thing regarding SC that I can think of is that the Obama people cried because Bill drew a parallel between the Obama campaign and the Jackson campaign (as in SC isn't a bellweather state for the Dems).  He drew the same sort of comparison to the Dean campaign when Obama jumped out to an early lead.  Was that racism too???

As a matter of fact I was not a Nader voter, And You attempting to pull out this red herring shows desperation. I stated a fact, under no circumstance will I ever vote for Hillary! none.

That's my right.
[/quote]

If you can't see the parallel between your position that you won't vote for Clinton if she gets the nom and the people who said the same thing about Gore in 2000 then you're hopeless.  You're part of the group that is willing to split the party and return the GOP to the White House if "your guy" doesn't get the nom.  And then you charge the Clinton supporters with "splitting the party".  How selfish are you?

Don't you get it that a Republican President will stay in Iraq and more soldiers will needlessly die?

Don't you get it that John Paul Stevens and Ruth Bader Ginsburg probably won't survive to 2012 and that a Republican President only needs to put 1 more hardcore conservative Justice on the Supreme Court to give them the majority?

Don't you get it that a Republican President won't care about creating a reasonable healthcare system or the environment?
gmo
Rookie
United States
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2008, 11:35:24 PM »

You're part of the group that is willing to split the party and return the GOP to the White House if "your guy" doesn't get the nom.  And then you charge the Clinton supporters with "splitting the party".  How selfish are you?
Which branch of Obamites are these that believe the bringing together means everybody across the country, expect Clinton supporters, and probably Republicans, and maybe nobody who is not a true believer?  Do you think they see the irony?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #122 on: February 07, 2008, 12:26:39 AM »

No, sorry, I've thought she would be the likely winner after NH.  I do thing Obama is over-hyped (and I actually think that's hurting him).

There have to be more reasons than a feeling that you think he is over-hyped, which he may be at this point, its hard to say. When someone has momentum, its can seem the same as hype.
Aizen
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -9.22

« Reply #123 on: February 07, 2008, 12:28:54 AM »

looks like 38.7% of this forum are hillary hacks LOL
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2008, 01:49:36 AM »

Well Obama is certainly cleaning her clock in the spin war for once. No denying that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies