john kerry and cambodia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:48:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  john kerry and cambodia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: john kerry and cambodia  (Read 3434 times)
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2004, 04:41:09 AM »

So now we have yet another approach defense of Kerry's adventures in southeast asia.

According to this approach we shouldn't look at "...the details of what he did..."

Also, the questions about whether Kerry actually spent christmas in cambodia in  1968 as he alledged is not simply whether he was lying, but wheather he really believes that story.

Although its nice to see NickG tacity admitting that Kerry is less than honest about his adventures in southeast asia, I'm more concerned with whether Kerry is delusional than with his 'dishonesty' or 'courage' (or lack thereof).

I have no idea whether Kerry is being honest or not about each detail of his service...clearly there are conflicting reports, and none of the parties are particularly neutral arbiters.  

I'm just saying that just because Kerry has made his courage and sacrifice for his country a theme of his campaign, that doesn't make every detail of his time in Vietnam a relevant campaign issue.  

Kerry is trying to establish the basic credentials for a commander in chief.   I think he's done that merely by volunteering to serve.  I assume he took his boat where he was commanded to take it: on which particular days he happened to recieve enemy fire is purely coincidental.  

First, Kerry has made a number of statements concerning his brief tour of duty in Viet Nam which he has subsequently backed away from.

Second, while he can be forgiven one of two falsehoods about the time of his life which he states is his most important qualification for office, we eventually reach a point (the cambodia in christmas is it), at which he credibility completely collapses.

If it becomes clear the Kerry did go to Cambodia on Christmas of 1968 to deliver a CIA agent (as he alledged), then this would pretty effectively undermine the credibility of the swift boat veterans who are disagree with his accounts of his exploits in Viet Nam.  

If it turns out that Kerry's story is balderdash, then a reasonable person looking at his record of previous misstatements about his service in Viet Nam, must have serious reservations about his allegations of heroic exploits there in light of yet another misstatement.

To make it simpler, think of this as a trial in which a large number of witnesses say one thing and a small number of persons say something contradictory about a series of incidents.  

Who do you believe?

Well, if the small number (I have yet to find even one swift boat crewman who is willing to publicly agree with Kerry's story of carrying a CIA man to Cambodia on Christmas of 1968) has been impeached (i.e. proven wrong about other statements about the issue at hand), then that small number loses credibility about other relevant issues.

So, once again I ask that the media investigate this specific matter, and leave other allegations aside until the truth of the matter at hand is established.

Citizen James
James42

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -2.78

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2004, 03:27:54 PM »

James, if you had read my earliest posting on this thread, you would see that there has been a considerable tendency by Kerry to be less than honest about his experience in Viet Nam (I gave specific examples).

If you look at the record, you will see exactly what I mean.  Any good search engine will take you to a number of sites which quote the lengthy testimony of Kerry before the Senate Foreign Relations committee in 1971.

Similiarly his allegations about medal/ribbon throwing is thoroughy documented.

With respect to the Kerry in Cambodia , the liberal media refuses to examine the issue because they have a pretty good idea of the result.

Please email the liberal media and ask them to stop covering up this matter.

I know there are a lot of rumors out there.  Rumors about Bush include claims he was AWOL, and that he used cocaine.    I dismiss these rumors as unsubstantiated because I have seen no serious evidence of them being true.   If a rumor of something being found several places on the net were the only criteria for veracity, both of those would easily pass.  

According to Fox News, an orginization not exactly known for it's liberalism, the group 'swift boat veterains for truth' has made assertions that he was not in Cambodia but that said claims have not been independently checked.

I suspect that various news orginizations are trying looking in to this, but the claims I have seen in this thread are that he has personally backpeddled on the claim and I wanted to see independent confirmation to see if such claims possessed validity.

If he was in Cambodia, and made comments about it 18 years ago which weren't particularly controversial I don't see how it is remarkably newsworthy.  If he has contradicted himself, I want to see the evidence to back up said contradiction.

From a navy history page: Naval history

You must be logged in to read this quote.

From this account, it would appear that we did have boats in Cambodia in December of 1968.   This does not establish whether or not Kerry was on one of those boats, but it is clearly plausable unless someone has evidence to the contrary.  (and I think the media will be investigating in hopes of getting some sort of a scoop - or is fox considered 'liberal media' as well in your opinion?)

James, once again we have an example of the liberal technique of "change the subject." I NEVER said a single thing about "rumors" of Kerry being AWOL or using drugs (YOU brought those allegations up).

I gave specific examples of other statements made by Kerry about his Viet Nam experiences which he has subsequently backed away from, and which are contrary to established fact.

His own biographer, David Brinkley, has stated that it would have been impossible for Kerry to have been in Cambodia on Christmas of 1968.

Stop tossing red herrings into the mix, and lets look as specific points.

Was Kerry in Cambodia on Christmas of 1968, as he has gone on the record as alledging?

Seems a pretty simple question to me.

Why all the obfuscation by the Kerry backers on this matter?

If you believe that Kerry WAS in Cambodia on Christmas of 1968, then simply say so!

If you don't believe he was in Cambodia on Christmas of 1968, they say so!!

Stop the name calling, and deal with the issue at hand!!!

I do not know whether he was in Cambodia on Christmas of 1968.   I have seen evidence that he has claimed such, and that it was entierly feasible given our millitary operations at the time.

I have also seen that there are rumors from partisans who oppose Kerry that he was not, but I have not seen any evidence to back up such rumors.  As I have not seen any such evidence, I have to treat them as unsubstantiate partisan gossip - and in an attempt to be fair I also dismiss similar partisan rumors about Bush.
CARLHAYDEN
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -0.51

« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2004, 04:22:45 PM »

First, the citation for Kerry's allegation of being in Cambodia on Christmas of 1968 is contained in:

132 Cong. Rec. 83564-02, Amendment No. 1718,

In his speech, Kerry said:

Mr. President, I remember Christmas of 1968 sitting on a gunboat in Cambodia. I remember what it was like to be shot at by Vietnamese and Khmer Rouge and Cambodians, and have the President of the United States telling the American people that I was not there; the troops were not in Cambodia.
I have that memory which is seared-seared-in me, that says to me, before we send another generation into harm's way we have a responsibility in the U.S. Senate to go the last step, to make the best effort possible in order to avoid that kind of conflict.

Try to get Kerry of the liberal media to cover this specific item without changing the story.

If Kerry was telling the truth, he should at least be able to get his crewmen to verify the story.

If Kerry was telling the truth, then his hand picked biographer, who had acess to Kerry's diary of his Viet Nam exploits would help verify that claim.

Kerry could easily shut down the Swift Boat detractors IF they were wrong about this matter.  Instead, he has (off the record) backed away from the claim, instead changing both the date (maybe it was in January) and the locale (maybe it was near, say fifty to sixty miles from) Cambodia.

So, if Kerry is going to base his campaign on his Viet Nam exploits, we need to have him either stand by his previous statements on this matter, or admit that he was wrong (not simply let him slide away yet again from another of his Viet Nam misstatements).
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2004, 07:57:03 AM »

It's just another Kerry "faulty recollection."  hehehe . . . can't accuse him for lying now, can I?  Smiley
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2004, 03:47:20 PM »

It's just another Kerry "faulty recollection."  hehehe . . . can't accuse him for lying now, can I?  Smiley

Depends what your definition of "is" is I guess.. Smiley
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies