sam ervin, 1976
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:35:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  sam ervin, 1976
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: sam ervin, 1976  (Read 1482 times)
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 12, 2008, 12:45:39 PM »

what if sam ervin, in his post watergate fame, would have run for the democrat nomination in 1976?

yes i know the drawbacks, his age, opposition to civil rights etc...

but can someone think of a good scenario?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 01:00:34 PM »

Ervin was 80 years old in 1976.  There is no way that he would have run for President.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.58, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 01:37:17 PM »

Ervin was 80 years old in 1976.  There is no way that he would have run for President.

My thought exactly.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 04:19:15 PM »

well brtd cant run against castro for president but we discuss that.

this is make believe.  use some imagination.

there have been several old men run for president, like alben barkley.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 04:27:27 PM »

But Barkley was not really though of as a serious contender because of his age.  The only candidate we have ever had to run for the first time when they were over 70 is McCain.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 05:17:11 PM »

But Barkley was not really though of as a serious contender because of his age.  The only candidate we have ever had to run for the first time when they were over 70 is McCain.

how old was john nance garner in 1940?
GPORTER
gporter
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 07:00:20 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2008, 07:04:53 PM by Reagan Republican »

Garner was seventy two years old at that time.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 01:41:07 PM »

But, Garner's threat was not all that serious, just like Barkley in '52.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 03:04:01 PM »

But, Garner's threat was not all that serious, just like Barkley in '52.

Garner, like many others, thought he had a real good shot at the nomination until FDR's intentions were indirectly expressed.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »

Unfortunately for the Democrats, after nominating Ervin, here's what happens in the election.

President Geralf Ford of Michigan/Senator Bob Dole of Kansas                  473
Senator Sam Ervin of North Carolina/Senator Frank Church of Idaho           65

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 05:30:30 PM »

Unfortunately for the Democrats, after nominating Ervin, here's what happens in the election.

President Geralf Ford of Michigan/Senator Bob Dole of Kansas                  473

First of all, Ervin would not lost any Southern states.  Second of all, he would never get nominated.  He was 80 years old!  He would get killed in every primary, and even if the nomination went to the convention, he would not get any support outside of the South.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 06:26:52 PM »

First of all, Ervin would not lost any Southern states.  Second of all, he would never get nominated.  He was 80 years old!  He would get killed in every primary, and even if the nomination went to the convention, he would not get any support outside of the South.

You are completely missing Walter's point.

He proposed a Sam Ervin election scenario.  He did not ask if Ervin could win any primaries or if Ervin could get nominated.  He did not ask if Ervin could get elected.

He asked what would happen if Ervin were the nominee.  Everyone knows that would have been impossible, but this is a what-if to see what would happen if he were the nominee. 

Yes, precisely because of one of the reasons you stated, that Ervin was 80 years old, and as well because Ervin would not have been a viable candidate, he would lose some southern states. 

All he would win would be the deep south states I showed on my map.  I stand by my map. 

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 06:30:40 PM »

He proposed a Sam Ervin election scenario.  He did not ask if Ervin could win any primaries or if Ervin could get nominated.  He did not ask if Ervin could get elected.

He asked what would happen if Ervin were the nominee.  Everyone knows that would have been impossible, but this is a what-if to see what would happen if he were the nominee. 

Yes, precisely because of one of the reasons you stated, that Ervin was 80 years old, and as well because Ervin would not have been a viable candidate, he would lose some southern states. 

All he would win would be the deep south states I showed on my map.  I stand by my map. 

For 20 years Ervin was seen as a hero by Southerners for his fight against Civil Rights.  There is absolutely no way that he would lose any part of Dixie, especially to Gerald Ford, a liberal Republican.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 06:35:57 PM »

he could win wv also.
CPT MikeyMike
mikeymike
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 06:58:17 PM »

I'd say Winfield is spot on here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies