What if the Superdelegates coronate Hillary?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:44:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What if the Superdelegates coronate Hillary?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What if the Superdelegates coronate Hillary?  (Read 6504 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 03:03:46 PM »
« edited: February 17, 2008, 03:09:01 PM by Angry Weasel »

My question is if she can hold the party together and win. I think that the answer is NO. Her having the delegates seated and/or having the superdelegates override the elected delegate's result, however it is sliced, will not be seen as legitimate in the eyes of half of the party. Maybe Kerry was able to get to a reasonable result, but this time, I don't know. This could be the death of the democratic party. The Dems were able to handle a schism in 1968, but I doubt they will be able to handle one in 2008.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 05:14:53 PM »

It's been plotted that even if one of these candidates swept every single primary from here on out they still wouldn't have enough delegates to get them the nomination.  The Super Delegates are going to be the deciding factor.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 07:50:01 PM »

It's been plotted that even if one of these candidates swept every single primary from here on out they still wouldn't have enough delegates to get them the nomination.  The Super Delegates are going to be the deciding factor.

And there probably will not be an argument that Obama won an overwhelming majority of the elected delegates.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 08:42:20 PM »

Like I said, the issue is how people will react to the facts, not the facts themselves.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 07:04:52 AM »
« Edited: February 18, 2008, 07:06:33 AM by Supersoulty »

I just think its kinda ironic how the Democrats oppose the electoral college, claiming to be the "party of the people" and real democracy, but their nomination process is far less democratic than that of the Republicans... at least in circumstances where there is not a bulldozer nominee... which is undemocratic itself.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 09:48:52 AM »

I just think its kinda ironic how the Democrats oppose the electoral college, claiming to be the "party of the people" and real democracy, but their nomination process is far less democratic than that of the Republicans... at least in circumstances where there is not a bulldozer nominee... which is undemocratic itself.

I will actually defend the Democrats on this.  They basically say, "We want the people have to run on the ticket (down ticket), and the people with experience in contesting elections, to have some input."

I know that in terms of nominating to fill vacancies in the ticket in Pennsylvania, the Republicans are far more democratic than the Democrats.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 11:33:40 AM »

No, we don't use the sheer ultra-retarded stupidity that is winner take all contests, the most retarded thing about his entire process. Let's give McCain all delegates from Missouri with 32% of the vote!
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 03:10:11 PM »

"Superdelegates are not second-class delegates," says Joel Ferguson, who will be a superdelegate if Michigan is seated. "The real second-class delegates are the delegates that are picked in red-state caucuses that are never going to vote Democratic."

Straight from the Clinton campaign.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 04:06:41 PM »

Wow. That's reaching parody levels.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 04:45:37 PM »

"Superdelegates are not second-class delegates," says Joel Ferguson, who will be a superdelegate if Michigan is seated. "The real second-class delegates are the delegates that are picked in red-state caucuses that are never going to vote Democratic."

Straight from the Clinton campaign.

Ironically, a good political argument.  Procedurally, elected delegates and super delegates can vote, excluding MI and FL.  The Obama and Clinton campaigns don't really want that.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2008, 02:35:29 PM »

Perhaps it would be just a comprimise to allow the MI and FL supers to be seated.
Flying Dog
Jtfdem
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:57 PM »

Perhaps it would be just a comprimise to allow the MI and FL supers to be seated.

I think they already are allowed. If I'm not mistaken.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 11:21:23 PM »

I think they already are allowed. If I'm not mistaken.

exactly. lol.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2008, 07:56:46 PM »

No, we don't use the sheer ultra-retarded stupidity that is winner take all contests, the most retarded thing about his entire process. Let's give McCain all delegates from Missouri with 32% of the vote!

So you support California going to proportional allocation of its electoral votes?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2008, 06:50:54 PM »

If Hillary wins the primary by any means, including coronation, she loses to McCain.  So the choice is rather clear for the super-delegates.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2008, 06:58:57 PM »

If Hillary wins the primary by any means, including coronation, she loses to McCain.  So the choice is rather clear for the super-delegates.

opebo, what ever happened to your opinion that "America is too racist to elect a black man"?  Have you changed your mind?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2008, 07:35:18 PM »

opebo, what ever happened to your opinion that "America is too racist to elect a black man"?  Have you changed your mind?

Not really.. I fear a bad outcome.  But I do think he'll do better than Hillary.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies