New Rudy Ad: Smell the Fear!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:00:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  New Rudy Ad: Smell the Fear!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: New Rudy Ad: Smell the Fear!  (Read 6752 times)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2008, 12:49:16 AM »
« edited: January 03, 2008, 12:55:07 AM by TheresNoMoney »

"My name is Rudy Guiliani, and I'm here to scare the living sh*t out of you".....

Is it possible to produce an ad more over-the-top than the new Rudy ad? This reminds me of some of the most ridiculous ads from 2002, but even worse:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2iFhGtKO-Q&eurl=http://www.dailykos.com/comments/2008/1/3/0550/60229/33
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 12:54:15 AM »

Should we just pretend like these things aren't happening?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:55:37 AM »

BUT ITS TRUE... WHAT IN THE HELL IS YOU PEOPLE'S PROBLEM?  WHY DO YOU INSIST ON STICKING YOU FINGERS IN YOUR EARS AND IGNORING THE HUGE PROBLEMS THAT ARE GOING ON AROUND US?  WHY?  RECENT EVENTS SHOULD ONLY REINFORCE THE POINT THAT THE WORLD IS BECOMING DANGEROUS VOLATILE! THE COLD WAR AIN'T GOT sh**t ON WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY... AND YET YOU PEOPLE ARE MORE WILLING TO IGNORE WHAT IS GOING ON NOW?  JESUS CHRIST CRUCIFIED... PRETENDING NOTHING IS WRONG IS WHAT GOT US HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE... WE CAN'T JUST IMAGINE OURSELVES BACK INTO THE 90'S.  F***!!!!
Likely Voter
Moderators
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 12:55:45 AM »

omg...that is like a parody

I also dont understand what exactly is Rudy's argument....if worries over terrorism are top for you and you feel the country needs a 'tested' and 'ready' guy...then McCain is your man...not someone whose only foreign policy cred is dealing with parking tickets for UN diplomats
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 12:56:42 AM »

Should we just pretend like these things aren't happening?

We shouldn't base political campaigns on trying to scare the sh*t out of people.
M

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 12:59:59 AM »

I'm not the first to say it on this thread but... you don't like the ad because you don't want to think about these things. It's all not only true but the leading items on the world agenda. What the hell else are you going to vote on, saving the kangaroo rat?

The country is at war, and if our civilizational confidence is shaky, there's isn't.

Romney, Huckabee, Obama, and Edwards are singularly unequipped to handle a world in crisis.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 01:00:44 AM »

BUT ITS TRUE... WHAT IN THE HELL IS YOU PEOPLE'S PROBLEM?  WHY DO YOU INSIST ON STICKING YOU FINGERS IN YOUR EARS AND IGNORING THE HUGE PROBLEMS THAT ARE GOING ON AROUND US? 

No one's "ignoring" the problems going on in the world, they just want to handle them in a sensible manner. The Bush doctrine doesn't work, hasn't worked, and won't work in the future.

And we're sick of the Republican policy of trying to scare people to death so they will stop thinking.  And oh yeah, you need to settle down.....
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 01:02:15 AM »

I'm not the first to say it on this thread but... you don't like the ad because you don't want to think about these things.

I don't like the ad because it's sensationalized, over the top garbage designed to appeal to the worst instincts in people.  It also reminds me of a bad Saturday Night Live parody.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »

BUT ITS TRUE... WHAT IN THE HELL IS YOU PEOPLE'S PROBLEM?  WHY DO YOU INSIST ON STICKING YOU FINGERS IN YOUR EARS AND IGNORING THE HUGE PROBLEMS THAT ARE GOING ON AROUND US?  WHY?  RECENT EVENTS SHOULD ONLY REINFORCE THE POINT THAT THE WORLD IS BECOMING DANGEROUS VOLATILE! THE COLD WAR AIN'T GOT sh**t ON WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY... AND YET YOU PEOPLE ARE MORE WILLING TO IGNORE WHAT IS GOING ON NOW?  JESUS CHRIST CRUCIFIED... PRETENDING NOTHING IS WRONG IS WHAT GOT US HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE... WE CAN'T JUST IMAGINE OURSELVES BACK INTO THE 90'S.  F***!!!!

That was some good satire...... Right?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 01:05:02 AM »

I'm sorry but I think you've just topped anything Naso has ever posted.

No one is trying to forget about what is going on in the world but that Giuliani ad is nothing but scare tactics and it won't work.

I'm still trying to understand what Rudy Giuliani has done to show he knows how to deal with these problems. He was Mayor after 9/11...ok....

If these are the issues that we face today it's clear that McCain is the candidate best suited to deal with them, based on his experiences.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 01:05:37 AM »

If I didn't know any better I would've thought that ad was some spoof of Giuliani's campaign made by a liberal.

And yes, what gives Giuliani special qualification to handle all this?
M

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 01:08:34 AM »

Giuliani gets it. His foreign policy team, led by Norman Podhoretz, is composed of people who understand that only freedom counteracts tyranny and terror.

It's a new twilit stuggle, and America can't survive a sunshine patriot. McCain gets it, but there's no doubting that Rudy does, too.
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 01:19:16 AM »

oh god this is going to give me nightmares for, like, the rest of my life

i guess i have no choice but to vote for rudolph william louis "9/11" giuliani otherwise california might get set on fire Undecided Undecided Undecided
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 01:27:03 AM »

Giuliani gets it. His foreign policy team, led by Norman Podhoretz, is composed of people who understand that only freedom counteracts tyranny and terror.

Freedom, yes. But what freedom does Giuliani endorse? Never-ending warfare? He certainly wasn't fast to condemn Musharraf and has no intent to loosen ties with Saudi Arabia. If we are supposed to be combating terrorism with freedom, and we should be, we need to be looking at allying with democracies, not dictatorships which only further fuel the image of the US as aggressive and imperialist (regardless of whether the US actually is aggressive and imperialist; this seems to be a key blind spot).
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 01:34:40 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2008, 01:36:21 AM by Joe McBloomberg '08 »

Giuliani exploits the death of Benazir Bhutto, a true stateswoman, to win the votes of some uninformed xenophobes. This why I'll never vote for him. He's cynically manipulating the emotion of fear, he surrounds himself with neocons and considers 9/11 his reason d'etre. Once the NYC firefighters swiftboat Rudy, the Hizzoner's numbers will collapse. Unfortunately for him, they already dropped.

Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 01:34:51 AM »

Well that settles it, I'm obviously voting Giuliani now because clearly we need more of what we got with Bush in power.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 01:39:34 AM »

>>Giuliani gets it. His foreign policy team, led by Norman Podhoretz<<

That's all I need to hear to know Giuliani doesn't have a clue.  The neocons completely, utterly dropped the ball in Afghanistan and refused to confront Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.  These are the places where the real threats were.

Podhoretz was one of the architects of the Bush "attention span of a 7 year old" policy.  In short, can't get Osama? Convince people Saddam is the problem.  We CAN get him.  And in the process, we get to test drive lots of other lemons like...

** They will welcome us as liberators **

** We can win this "on the cheap" **

** A mushroom cloud over Washington **

** Fundamentalist Osama's in bed with Secularist Saddam **

** Mission accomplished **

Yeah -- he's  a real genius alright.  

Opponents of the war in Iraq do not have their heads in the sand, individually or collectively.  They include such radical, left wing subversives as Bob Novak, Pat Buchanan, Brent Scowcroft, Hugh Shelton, Rep. Walter Jones, Doug Bandow and Senator Chuck Hagel.

Podhoretz is a one-trick pony with one simple agenda: use the United States to destroy any and all enemies of Israel.  He's Reverend John Hagee, without the tongues-speaking and the faith healing.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 01:43:28 AM »

>>Giuliani gets it. His foreign policy team, led by Norman Podhoretz<<

That's all I need to hear to know Giuliani doesn't have a clue.  The neocons completely, utterly dropped the ball in Afghanistan and refused to confront Pakistan and Saudi Arabia.  These are the places where the real threats were.

Podhoretz was one of the architects of the Bush "attention span of a 7 year old" policy.  In short, can't get Osama? Convince people Saddam is the problem.  We CAN get him.  And in the process, we get to test drive lots of other lemons like...

** They will welcome us as liberators **

** We can win this "on the cheap" **

** A mushroom cloud over Washington **

** Fundamentalist Osama's in bed with Secularist Saddam **

** Mission accomplished **

Yeah -- he's  a real genius alright. 

Opponents of the war in Iraq do not have their heads in the sand, individually or collectively.  They include such radical, left wing subversives as Bob Novak, Pat Buchanan, Brent Scowcroft, Hugh Shelton, Rep. Walter Jones, Doug Bandow and Senator Chuck Hagel.

Podhoretz is a one-trick pony with one simple agenda: use the United States to destroy any and all enemies of Israel.  He's Reverend John Hagee, without the tongues-speaking and the faith healing.

You know, I have met Norman Podhoretz... he helped me out with my paper for the Center of the Study of the Presidency... and he didn't seem like the Jewish Hitler, but I guess you would have more insight into that then I would.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 01:47:38 AM »

The Bush policy has failed because Bush is a total idiot who listened to some smart people, got about 1/8 of what they were saying and then put his "plan" into action.  Bush is too simple minded to understand the intellectual complexity of what other people were telling him in the beginning which is why we are in such bad shape now.  If McCain had won in 2000 the same situation would have turned out way better... and don't say "McCain wouldn't have listened to the neocons because he was their man in 2000.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »

Giuliani exploits the death of Benazir Bhutto, a true stateswoman, to win the votes of some uninformed xenophobes. This why I'll never vote for him. He's cynically manipulating the emotion of fear, he surrounds himself with neocons and considers 9/11 his reason d'etre. Once the NYC firefighters swiftboat Rudy, the Hizzoner's numbers will collapse. Unfortunately for him, they already dropped.

This is my point dammit... saying "there is a problem and this proves it" is not exploitation.  When I think of all the ways that Clinton exploited... everyone... especially the military, I have to wonder why you people aren't up in arms over what he did... well, no, I don't have to wonder, I know... I'm not gonna bother being polite... blind partisanship is the answer.

As for your question, you are right, McCain is just as qualified... perhaps more so, but I have other reasons for supporting Rudy over McCain.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 02:03:39 AM »

The Bush policy has failed because Bush is a total idiot who listened to some smart people, got about 1/8 of what they were saying and then put his "plan" into action.  Bush is too simple minded to understand the intellectual complexity of what other people were telling him in the beginning which is why we are in such bad shape now.  If McCain had won in 2000 the same situation would have turned out way better... and don't say "McCain wouldn't have listened to the neocons because he was their man in 2000.

The policy failed because it's malignant and arrogant.  It reverses the strong, but humble foreign policy practiced by Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, H.W. Bush and Clinton.

We always attack those who attack us.   We attack those who attack, or at least invade and occupy, nations allied closely to us.  We do not attack (to say nothing of invading, occupying and attempting to Americanize) those who have not attacked us.

Weapons of mass destruction?  Yeah, the USSR had em.  Most of them pointed directly at our cities.  I still thank God Ronald Reagan had both the toughness and the humility to dually stand up to and dialogue with the Soviet monster.  The Chinese had and continue to have them.  But President Nixon and subsequent Presidents were smart enough to contain the threat.  

Saddam DIDN'T have them.  But still we invaded and occupied.  Meanwhile, the putrid sack of pus who DID attack us continues to live somewhere in Afghanistan or Pakistan.  Because the neocons enabled and emboldened the Decider to take his eye off the ball.  Moving the 10th Mountain Division out of Tora-Bora and into the desert makes about as much sense as transferring Norwegian ski troops to Cuba or some other tropical clime.

And rather than humbly admit they got it wrong...rather than suggesting we redouble our efforts in places where Al Qaeda actually IS...the neocons want to start a third war, with Iran.  And some favor a fourth war, with Syria.  All without a draft...without increasing taxes...without building a coalition.  They're sure if we just "step out on faith" the democracy fairies will make it all work out to our advantage in the end.

Jewish neocons are simply all about Israel, when Israel is right and when Israel is wrong.
Christian neocons are simply all about Armageddon.

I've never been so ashamed to be an American. Hopefully, voters will get it right this time.  Rudy McRompson is banking on fear getting the best of courage once again.  
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 02:09:42 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2008, 02:11:52 AM by Verily »

The Bush policy has failed because Bush is a total idiot who listened to some smart people, got about 1/8 of what they were saying and then put his "plan" into action.  Bush is too simple minded to understand the intellectual complexity of what other people were telling him in the beginning which is why we are in such bad shape now.

This is, very possibly, the biggest "stick my head in the sand and cry 'la la la'" post I have ever seen on this forum.

When the invasion of Iraq was begun, not a single neoconservative complained that their plan was not being fully followed or that Bush was messing things up. No, they cheered incessantly and uproariously. The final victory was at hand in spring of 2003.

If these were really people of "intellectual complexity" who made a fool-proof plan for the end of terrorism once and for all, don't you think they'd have objected when only 1/8 of it was being carried out? Don't you think they'd have quickly become aware that the Bush administration was incompetent? They did neither; they supported him in 2004, in 2005, and in 2006. Sure, some fell by the wayside, but those who did were not suddenly disaffected neoconservatives, they were people who changed their minds about neoconservativism altogether; Thomas Friedman springs to mind.

No, the Bush administration followed the neoconservative playbook by rote, at least until things got so bad that continuing the plan (Iran) was no longer feasible. And the neoconservatives supported him right up until he decided Iran was not getting invaded after all. If the invasion of Iran is what the great and glorious victory requires, then I am afraid you have simply lost touch with reality.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 02:50:51 AM »
« Edited: January 03, 2008, 03:05:31 AM by Supersoulty »

The policy failed because it's malignant and arrogant.  It reverses the strong, but humble foreign policy practiced by Truman, Eisenhower, Kennedy, Nixon, Ford, Carter, Reagan, H.W. Bush and Clinton.

Ummm... those people were far, far, far from being of the same mind on foriegn policy.  I have an a habit of overgeneralizing, but that's just laughable.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Look up some of the CIA's actions during the 50', 60's and 70's and then look at what you just said.  If you could, I would tell you to look up "Track One" and "Track Two" you can, but you won't find much.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Reagan was listening to the exact same people (or at least the direct intellectual decedents) that you now deride as being terrible.  Reagan gave to hearing to people like Kissinger.  As for the issue of WMD... I refuse to accept that Saddam didn't have at least some, and there is, indeed, evidence that some existed.  The Pentagon was not completely wrong.  And at the risk of being laughed at I believe that there was a concerted effort inside the Federal Government, by groups unnamed (though not "unpatriotic liberals") to discredit Military Intelligence and derail the Bush Administrations efforts internationally... a well funded, well organized fifth column, not beholden to the the people and indifferent about the Constitution.  Though I am sure this will come back to bite me in the ass (or blow my head off) later in life, I will paraphrase John McCain and say that if you want to look into the eyes of the United States' current failures internationally, you will see three letters...

A "C". An "I". And an "A".

As for the rest of what you say, there were strategic, historical and immediate reasons for the choice of Iraq.

As for the response to the current situation in Iraq and possible invasion of Iran... I love how you think the neocons are somehow more organized than America's real enemies, but I assure you they aren't.  Even a quick and dispassionate glance at what various neocons are saying on these issues would show you that "their" opinion is actually all over the map.

And actually, many neocons have objected loudly to the way the war was carried out, and the total lack of real strategic planning on the side of the Bush Administration, particularly the "rush to Baghdad" which totally ignored that the objective of war is to destroy the enemies army, not to capture cities.  They should have used Baghdad as a albatross for the Republican Guard to hold them down and destroy them.  It would have cost more soldiers from the  outset, but it would have given us a whole year to build up before the foriegn insurgents showed up.  Many of "us" realized this at the time, but were largely ignored.

Moreover, the extend to which neocon influence has existed in the Bush Administration has been vastly exaggerated... neocons opposed many of Rumsfeld's policies, just as they opposed Cheney's dismantling of the armed forces when he was Sec. of Defense.

And, BTW... we had a coalition... a bigger one than the one that went into Iraq in 1991... sadly, it has since vanished, another product of Bush and his neglect of the State Dept with his appointment of Condi Rice... also not a neocon.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 02:55:01 AM »

Oh... and of course, the Jews never have their home countries interests in mind, right?  After all that Germany... I mean... America has done for them, they have stabbed us in the back in favor of there Jewery.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 03:03:41 AM »

I've never understood why people pointed to Giuliani as someone with foreign policy experience. Certainly no more than a first-term Senator. He was mayor of New York City during the largest attack on that city, on any American city, in American history. Why does that suddenly make him a terrorism-fighter?  And then he walked around for a few hours before telling the firefighters to stop searching for their dead comrades. Woop-dee-doo.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies