Do you want to be a GM?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 05:31:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Do you want to be a GM?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Do you want to be a GM?  (Read 3596 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2004, 07:34:07 PM »

I expect that the plot threads I had come up with for my scenario will be finished by the time of the midterm elections.  While Darfur and Iraq are likely to be continuing threads, they aren't mine, but real life.  So if anyone has an idea for a scenario, I would be willing to transfer the position of GM at around that time, subject to the assent of the Forum.  GM-ing is nice, but I also like being on the other side of the cardboard divder that separates GM's and players Smiley and I don't have another scenario ready after the one I have planned.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 07:46:47 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2004, 08:15:08 PM by Niles Caulder »

It sounds like an enthralling (and absorbing) opportunity.  The prospect of filling the shoes left behind is starkly intimidating.

I think there are plenty of qualified vets who should be lined up for the spot.  I for one feel way too new, and I'm thoroughly enjoying where I'm at.  I haven't earned much trust from government or voters (in fact I think my approval rating may be a little in the red.  Wink)  For all these reasons I believe the job would be better left in other hands.

But if it just flat turns out no one else can be spared from where they're at, I would do my level best at GMing for as long as it took to find someone better.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 07:48:53 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2004, 07:49:36 PM by Reaganfan »

Have a 10 mile wide asteroid headed for a END OF THE WORLD HIT. Send up a team of Atlas Forum members.... 4 democrats.. 4 republicans.... 2 independants to drill a 600 foot hole, drop a nuke and blow it in two before the countdown of "zero barrier". So, they get on the rock and have 8 hrs. Then, if they blow it after that... EARTH IS GONE. By the way, I WILL GLADLY GO!
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 08:11:04 PM »

Have a 10 mile wide asteroid headed for a END OF THE WORLD HIT. Send up a team of Atlas Forum members.... 4 democrats.. 4 republicans.... 2 independants to drill a 600 foot hole, drop a nuke and blow it in two before the countdown of "zero barrier". So, they get on the rock and have 8 hrs. Then, if they blow it after that... EARTH IS GONE. By the way, I WILL GLADLY GO!

I think Tweed would gladly send you into space Smiley .
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 08:26:06 PM »

You watched Armageddon lately? Smiley
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 08:32:17 PM »

Just so that it's clear, I'm willing to continue on as GM for now, even after my scenario is over, but since I don't have another one waiting in the wings, if someone else is raring to go, I'm willing to do step aside and let them.  (Actually I do have an idea, I just don't think the forum would be enthused at the idea of turning Atlasia into Shadowrun, so I have no plans for a successful Ghost Dance, or any of the other crazyness that lurks in the backstory of that RPG.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 08:41:08 PM »

Earnest, just one guy's opinion...but I hope you'll stay on.  The game hasn't caught up to all your sublime cues yet, but I think if you keep the sun shining, the flowers will bloom.

If it's a matter of feeling dry of story ideas, I'd be happy to kick it around and send you some--you can use 'em, change 'em beyond recognition, or trash 'em.  My feelings wouldn't be hurt in any way.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2004, 08:49:39 PM »

Armageddon is my favorite movie. I have every line memorized. GREAT FILM! It would sure be a major event in forum history if we sent up our forum pals to save the world.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2004, 09:03:36 PM »

Niles, it's Ernest, not Earnest; I'm not an Oscar Wilde character (and if I were, I'd have wittier lines.)

It does take time to do this job, but that's not my problem.  I just don't have a good story idea at the moment, but at present I do have enough GM fodder with the JAR, Sudan and Iraq to have fun with, but since some scenarios work best when the originator is the GM, I thought I'd offer interested others the chance.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2004, 09:11:58 PM »

LOL sorry about that...

("The Importance of Being GM")

Well anyway...some ideas are better off in the practiced craft of others.  Drop me a line if you ever care to.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 11:36:10 PM »

What does the Game Moderator do again?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2004, 11:39:18 PM »

Create scenarios for the government to tackle and evaluate the effect of their policies.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2004, 11:41:03 PM »

Create scenarios for the government to tackle and evaluate the effect of their policies.

That sounds interesting...hmm
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2004, 11:59:43 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2004, 12:02:18 AM by King »

Its 7AM in Delhi, India, the morning rush hour has begun. Suddenly an explosion is heard coming from the city center, by 10AM there have been 23 explosions in parts of Delhi and New Dehli. On Al Jazeera, video from a large group believed to be funded by some high level Pakistani goverment officials claim responsibility. Seening this has an attack from Pakistan, at 8PM the Parliament of India decides to annex southern Pakistan.  A swift night invasion by India has most of southwest Pakistan under Indian control with troops entering Karachi. Pakistan has the option of launching a biological or nuclear missle as counterattack and is beginning to prepare according to satellite images obtained by the CIA. How will the Atlasian government respond?

That a good scenario? Grin
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2004, 12:03:26 AM »

Too hard and too little is in our hands.  Most of the outcome is determined by Pakistanis and Indians who have lost their minds and want to end the world.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2004, 12:04:27 AM »

Its 7AM in Delhi, India, the morning rush hour has begun. Suddenly an explosion is heard coming from the city center, by 10AM there have been 23 explosions in parts of Delhi and New Dehli. On Al Jazeera, video from a large group believed to be funded by some high level Pakistani goverment officials claim responsibility. Seening this has an attack from Pakistan, at 8PM the Parliament of India decides to annex southern Pakistan.  A swift night invasion by India has most of southwest Pakistan under Indian control with troops entering Karachi. Pakistan has the option of launching a biological or nuclear missle as counterattack and is beginning to prepare according to satellite images obtained by the CIA. How will the Atlasian government respond?

Man, that one sounds like fun!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2004, 12:22:09 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2004, 12:27:14 AM by King »

Too hard and too little is in our hands.  Most of the outcome is determined by Pakistanis and Indians who have lost their minds and want to end the world.

We are the only Superpower and we just watch the world end? Thats not very defensive Mr. Secretary...

Something more domestic then for the Senators....

While giving a speech in Nyman, President Gustaf is struck down by a terrorist disguised as a Secret Service officer. He dies on the ambulance to the hospital, 5 minutes later a bomb goes off and kills Justice KEmperor, Senators JFK, Harry, StatesRights,  and Vice-President Supersoulty as he is being swarn in at the Senate chambers. With the President,  the top 3 successors, and 2 senators dead the city is in shock and chaos and the entire cabinet is missing in all the confusion. The Legislative Branch now only consists of 7 Senators, there is no known Executive Branch, and only 2 Justices are left in the Supreme Court...what would the remaining establishment do?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2004, 12:42:39 AM »

We are the only Superpower and we just watch the world end? Thats not very defensive Mr. Secretary...

While giving a speech in Nyman, President Gustaf is struck down by a terrorist disguised as a Secret Service officer. He dies on the ambulance to the hospital, 5 minutes later a bomb goes off and kills Justice KEmperor, Senators JFK, Harry, StatesRights,  and Vice-President Supersoulty as he is being swarn in at the Senate chambers. With the President,  the top 3 successors, and 2 senators dead the city is in shock and chaos and the entire cabinet is missing in all the confusion. The Legislative Branch now only consists of 7 Senators, there is no known Executive Branch, and only 2 Justices are left in the Supreme Court...what would the remaining establishment do?

If Pakistan and India are already at war, game over.  There's nothing we CAN do.

You can't kill a fellow Forum member as part of the scenario, because he would effectively be barred from participating in fantasy politics.  If he's dead, he can't vote or run for office again (unless or response to the crisis is to invest in re-animation technology) and that's not fair to that Forumite.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2004, 12:50:03 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2004, 12:50:17 AM by King »

If Pakistan and India are already at war, game over.  There's nothing we CAN do.

You can't kill a fellow Forum member as part of the scenario, because he would effectively be barred from participating in fantasy politics.  If he's dead, he can't vote or run for office again (unless or response to the crisis is to invest in re-animation technology) and that's not fair to that Forumite.

Fine, fine, fine!!!

Upcoming Senate race, Akno gets 45%, Anonymous Challenger Gets 45% and Write-in with no second choice gets 10%...what happens? Tongue
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2004, 12:53:11 AM »
« Edited: August 08, 2004, 12:53:28 AM by John Ford »

Fine, fine, fine!!!

Upcoming Senate race, Akno gets 45%, Anonymous Challenger Gets 45% and Write-in with no second choice gets 10%...what happens? Tongue

I believe it goes to the Supreme Court and we have a court ordered runoff.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 12:54:57 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you trying and these are all difficult scenarios, but there is a niche you have to find.  It has to be exciting but not overwhelming, risky but not so risky that if mishandled there is no Atlasia left to have fantasy politics in, challengin but not so challenging that Forum pols die.

It ain't easy, that's why wee have so much trouble.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2004, 01:00:45 AM »

You could kill off NixonNow. He left fantasy politics.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2004, 09:50:37 AM »

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate you trying and these are all difficult scenarios, but there is a niche you have to find.  It has to be exciting but not overwhelming, risky but not so risky that if mishandled there is no Atlasia left to have fantasy politics in, challengin but not so challenging that Forum pols die.

It ain't easy, that's why wee have so much trouble.

Agreed.  Part of the challenge is that a good scenario needs to include the possibility for both good and bad results, but that can't be so good or bad that we reach the end of history.  As far as my current scenario is considered, there were several things the government could have done better, but barring a last minute policy change which I don't expect from the administration, as I have nothing left plotwise to cause them to consider changing their policy, the worst possible outcome will be avoided.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2004, 05:15:49 PM »

I WILL BE GM!!!!
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2004, 05:25:08 PM »