Region Redrawing Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:23:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Region Redrawing Act
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Region Redrawing Act  (Read 6865 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2004, 10:39:54 AM »

I hereby propose that we tweak the regions in order to fit the constitution by this map:
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 11:13:01 AM »

This is actually a Constitutional Amendment, not an Act Smiley. The map seems satisfactory to me, let us see what others have to say.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 11:28:27 AM »

JFK, I disagree that this is a constitutional amendment.  Actually, Harry's act is proposed to conform with the constitution as it currently stands:

There are five Regions with ten states per Region. One region must include the District of Columbia. All Regions must be contiguous.  Each region must have a name that will either be decided by the members from the region or the Senate itself.  

The Regions of the United States for the Atlas Forum:

TO BE DETERMINED OFFICIALLY AFTER THE SENATE IS IN PLACE. THE REGIONS THAT PEOPLE DECIDED ON BY PUBLIC VOTE WILL BE USED UNTIL SUCH TIME.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 11:35:09 AM »

JFK, I disagree that this is a constitutional amendment.  Actually, Harry's act is proposed to conform with the constitution as it currently stands:

There are five Regions with ten states per Region. One region must include the District of Columbia. All Regions must be contiguous.  Each region must have a name that will either be decided by the members from the region or the Senate itself.  

The Regions of the United States for the Atlas Forum:

TO BE DETERMINED OFFICIALLY AFTER THE SENATE IS IN PLACE. THE REGIONS THAT PEOPLE DECIDED ON BY PUBLIC VOTE WILL BE USED UNTIL SUCH TIME.

I was under the impression that the current map was listed in the Constitution itself, possibly not any more but I am sure it was at one point (same with districts map).
Niles Caulder

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 05:47:02 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2004, 05:48:05 PM by Niles Caulder »

I was under the impression that the current map was listed in the Constitution itself, possibly not any more but I am sure it was at one point (same with districts map).

Forgive me for intruding; the regional map in effect is as in post #1 of https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=5715
Presumably it's the one approved by the public to serve as a temporary one until the Senate convened, as specified in Ammendment IV Section 2.
Further in that thread is an explanation of why that temporary map is unconstitutional now that the Senate is an established body.  The Senate was given the authority and the obligation by the constitution to adopt a map as Secretary Fritz specified, which thus far it hasn't done.  The Senate and President passing such a map won't require a supermajority or popular approval.  This bill is to comply with that constitutional mandate, not ammend it.

I thank the Senate panel for its indulgence.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2004, 05:49:39 PM »

Forgive me for intruding; the regional map in effect is as in post #1 of https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=5715
Presumably it's the one approved by the public to serve as a temporary one until the Senate convened, as specified in Ammendment IV Section 2.
Further in that thread is an explanation of why that temporary map is unconstitutional now that the Senate is an established body.  The Senate was given the authority and the obligation by the constitution to adopt a map as Secretary Fritz specified, which thus far it hasn't done.  The Senate and President passing such a map won't require a supermajority or popular approval.  This bill is to comply with that constitutional mandate, not ammend it.

Interesting, the maps were actually originally in the Constitution, I remember that clearly, seems Dan tweaked it at one point during the discussions way back when. Ok then, this is not a constitutional amendment.
Demrepdan

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2004, 09:16:47 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2004, 09:17:14 PM by Senator Demrepdan »

Interesting, the maps were actually originally in the Constitution, I remember that clearly, seems Dan tweaked it at one point during the discussions way back when. Ok then, this is not a constitutional amendment.

Yes......yes I did tweak it. Because we needed to quickly pass the Constitution....and one of the main reasons it wasn't being passed quickly was due to many people bitching about how they want the regions this way, and someone else wants the regions that way. So.....I put that in there so the Senate could officially decide, which they never have....because we've just been using the same regions and districts that were suggest by Harry and...I believe someone else....way back in March.

After the regions are officially settled.....as well as the new districts....I will add the map to the constitution page....along with the bills and added amendments.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 01:04:40 AM »

This map is acceptable to me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 01:14:42 AM »

If this passes, will it be in effect for the midterm elections? If so I urge the Senate to speed up debate and consideration of this Region redrawing. We are only eleven days away from the midterm elections. They'll be here before you know it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 04:00:01 AM »

Yes......yes I did tweak it. Because we needed to quickly pass the Constitution....and one of the main reasons it wasn't being passed quickly was due to many people bitching about how they want the regions this way, and someone else wants the regions that way. So.....I put that in there so the Senate could officially decide, which they never have....because we've just been using the same regions and districts that were suggest by Harry and...I believe someone else....way back in March.

After the regions are officially settled.....as well as the new districts....I will add the map to the constitution page....along with the bills and added amendments.
I'm that someone else.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 06:06:49 AM »

I move to table debating so we can get this voted upon quickly, this is in accordance with the Senatorial Procedure Resolution. This motion needs the support of four other Senators to pass.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 09:29:00 AM »

If this passes, will it be in effect for the midterm elections? If so I urge the Senate to speed up debate and consideration of this Region redrawing. We are only eleven days away from the midterm elections. They'll be here before you know it.
I suppose that it would affect the midterm governor races.
It would allow PB to run against Verin, and RF to instead run against the unchallenged htmldon.  So that would probably improve both races.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2004, 09:32:01 AM »

It would allow PB to run against Verin, and RF to instead run against the unchallenged htmldon.  So that would probably improve both races.

Don will probably get more votes if he is up against Reagan then if he were to run unopposed lol.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 10:59:24 AM »

It would allow PB to run against Verin,

...that's why I asked  Wink
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 07:01:35 PM »

We really should move this on along
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 07:18:36 PM »

Both the actual map and the "10-states rule" are in the Constitution.   I think if there are contradictions in the constitution, the Supreme Court has to settle it.  Or the Senate could resolve it via constitutional amendment.  But you can't just pass a regular bill to solve constitutional issues.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 07:24:34 PM »

The actual map is not in the constitution.  I quoted what the constitution says about regions in an earlier post.
Niles Caulder

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 09:50:54 PM »

Both the actual map and the "10-states rule" are in the Constitution.   I think if there are contradictions in the constitution, the Supreme Court has to settle it.  Or the Senate could resolve it via constitutional amendment.  But you can't just pass a regular bill to solve constitutional issues.

There is no contradicition in the Constitution; it provides for a publically approved map to serve Until the Senate convened, at which time they were burdened with the duty of making ten-state regions "officially."  A simple bill will suffice, just as the simple legislation satisfies the requirements of conducting the periodic Census in the US Constitution.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2004, 10:32:30 AM »

Let's get this rolling along....
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2004, 10:38:00 AM »

I encourage the senate to pass this act as quickly as possible.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2004, 10:43:53 AM »

can we have a vote?
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2004, 02:14:08 PM »

There is no contradicition in the Constitution; it provides for a publically approved map to serve Until the Senate convened, at which time they were burdened with the duty of making ten-state regions "officially."  A simple bill will suffice, just as the simple legislation satisfies the requirements of conducting the periodic Census in the US Constitution.

There WAS a contradiction in the Constitution, it was removed before it was passed.

Originally both the text and our current map were in the constitution but Dan changed it for the final draft.

Due to the necessary urgence of this Act's passage, I am willing to forego procedure laid out by the Senatorial Procedure Resolution and call a vote upon this Act now.

All in favour of the Region Redrawing Act as proposed by Harry say Yea, all opposed say Nay.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2004, 02:36:34 PM »

Yea.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2004, 02:47:40 PM »

yae
JohnFKennedy