Should opera houses receive public funds?/Should indie rock venues?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 02:55:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should opera houses receive public funds?/Should indie rock venues?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Should opera houses receive public funds?/Should indie rock venues?
Yes/Yes

Yes/No

No/Yes

No/No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: Should opera houses receive public funds?/Should indie rock venues?  (Read 12809 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2007, 03:22:24 PM »

We had a debate on this once, so I'll revive it.

The argument was pretty much between "No/No" Libertarians and people saying "Yes/No" when I brought up my point, the argument given for the double standard is that the purpose of government funding for the arts is to assist such places which are not as commercially viable. However I don't get this argument at all since opera is certainly more commercially viable than what I listen to, more people have heard of it, go to it, and it costs way more. Opera tickets often run into the range of $300, the most I've ever paid is $16. So then how are opera houses less commercially viable than some venue a couple 20somethings run and attracts usually about 30-40 people at around $8 or so a head? There is really no such argument I can see for the funding of "high art" like opera and ballet and what I enjoy except in engaging in such discrimination in favor of "high art" which is certainly making an arbitrary distinction the government should not be doing.

I wouldn't care if opera disappeared off the face of the earth and I hope to never be submitted to the torture of one, but to avoid such a double standard, I shall vote Yes/Yes.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 03:27:23 PM »

Opera houses are less viable because the stars are ridiculously overpayed, the directors are ridiculously overpayed, the costume designers are ridiculously overpayed, and there are vast numbers of (not overpayed) people needed. Indie venues are commercially viable only by their owners exploiting themselves and the bands who play there.
Besides, many such venues do receive some amount of public funding.

(In case you couldn't guess, I'm voting no/yes)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 03:35:49 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2007, 03:39:27 PM by I Never Really Missed It Until It Was Gone for Good »

Besides, many such venues do receive some amount of public funding.

Not that I know of. The only case I can think of is places on university campuses being reserved for such shows by student groups, which equals a free rental of a venue. This has happened on my campus more than a few times.

I'm sure there are other such places receiving public funds which are sometimes rented by people setting up such shows, but I can't see any that caters exclusively, such as here: www.triplerocksocialclub.com. Furthermore the fact that such "high art" places are rented for this purpose blurs the arbitrary distinction even more, I went to such a show in Sioux Falls in a venue that's usually used for art exhibits and orchestral performances.

(If anyone's wondering about my legalese style of writing here, I've been doing legal briefs for the last hour which is part of my last assignment for a class, which involves mostly reading court case decisions. This can affect your writing too it appears.)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 03:46:55 PM »

There was an especially amusing episode of Yes Minister on the general subject of arts funding. Worth a watch.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 03:58:10 PM »

If you mean by opera house or indie rock venues, a single purpose entertainment facility that is used only at the discretion of an opera company or indie rock promoter, then no.  But supporting a general purpose entertainment venue that small or touring groups can frequent is worth doing, but only to the extent of subsidizing the provision of a place for such performances.  Gear, salaries, travel expenses, etc. for the entertainment group should be solely their responsibility.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 04:04:36 PM »

Yes/yes.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 07:08:45 PM »

No/No.  If you care so much that they stay open, give a donation.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 07:22:16 PM »

Yes/Yes
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 08:32:17 PM »

No/No.  If you care so much that they stay open, give a donation.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 10:04:19 PM »

Yes/No.  Because I like opera and I support the government subsidizing things I like.
Inverted Things
Avelaval

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 11:43:08 PM »

Yes/No.  Because I like opera and I support the government subsidizing things I like.

Thief.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007, 01:04:32 AM »

If you're not joking...how do you sleep at night?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 05:49:50 AM »

I support the government subsidizing things I like.

At least you're honest Smiley
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 10:49:25 AM »

Yes/No. Being commercially unviable and having artistic value are the two key criteria and opera meets both while indie rock meets only one (and even that is doubtful if it's true as BRTD claims that he goes to these concerts and that they don't get subsidies.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 11:07:59 AM »

Yes/No. Being commercially unviable and having artistic value are the two key criteria and opera meets both while indie rock meets only one (and even that is doubtful if it's true as BRTD claims that he goes to these concerts and that they don't get subsidies.

And what criteria are you using for "having artistic value"? Your personal taste? Do I even need to say the can of worms the government using this arbitrary criteria opens?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 11:10:27 AM »

Do I even need to say the can of worms the government using this arbitrary criteria opens?

None at all as it's used already.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 11:14:19 AM »

And what criteria are you using for "having artistic value"? Your personal taste? Do I even need to say the can of worms the government using this arbitrary criteria opens?

Test of time is part of it. The operas that have survived since the nineteenth century has proven themselves while indie rock hasn't. And my personal taste is not a part of it - while I like opera I'm kind of cold towards ballet, which I also believe has artistic value.

The point of cultural support is to enable all people regardless of finanical means the opportunity to take part in certain aspects of culture, not to finance hobbies.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 11:26:35 AM »

And that's why you don't subsidize either - no subjectivity...no problem.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 11:28:02 AM »

And that's why you don't subsidize either - no subjectivity...no problem.

Philistine subjectivism is the worst.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 12:13:48 PM »

Test of time is part of it. The operas that have survived since the nineteenth century has proven themselves while indie rock hasn't. And my personal taste is not a part of it - while I like opera I'm kind of cold towards ballet, which I also believe has artistic value.

The point of cultural support is to enable all people regardless of finanical means the opportunity to take part in certain aspects of culture, not to finance hobbies.
If they've proven themselves, why do they need govt support?  If the workers in the productions are making so much money and only the rich can afford to go see a show, why do they need govt support?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 03:44:06 PM »

If they've proven themselves, why do they need govt support?  If the workers in the productions are making so much money and only the rich can afford to go see a show, why do they need govt support?

Did you even read my post? I know you're a libertarian and won't agree with it, but as I said "The point of cultural support is to enable all people regardless of finanical means the opportunity to take part in certain aspects of culture, not to finance hobbies." So...they need government support. I'm not exactly understand how your post relates to mine or what point you're trying to make, but perhaps you can expand on it?
Friz
thad_l
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: -9.74

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 05:10:34 PM »

Yes/Yes.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 08:05:46 PM »

Did you even read my post? I know you're a libertarian and won't agree with it, but as I said "The point of cultural support is to enable all people regardless of finanical means the opportunity to take part in certain aspects of culture, not to finance hobbies." So...they need government support. I'm not exactly understand how your post relates to mine or what point you're trying to make, but perhaps you can expand on it?
Why should the govt support something ONLY RICH PEOPLE GET TO SEE!  Did you even read my post?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 09:26:54 PM »

Thank you.  I admit my position is not ideological, just purely self-interested.  And I don't see a problem with that.  Too many people are blinded by anti-government ideology to see all the things the American taxpayer can do for them.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 12:01:46 AM »

If either have some sort of unique or significant cultural value (such as having been in operation since 1820 but is now struggling due to some uncontrollable factor), or occupies a historical building, or is a particularly important part of that genre.. then yes.

If it's just a run of the mill Opera House (sounds kinda weird)/Indie rock venue, then no.

It should be taken on a case by case basis.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies