Religion - I am A?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:16:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Religion - I am A?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: Religion - I am A?  (Read 24670 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2004, 12:17:25 AM »

Oh well I guess all the Catholics in Greensboro don't know what they are doing then Cheesy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2004, 12:19:00 AM »

Oh well I guess all the Catholics in Greensboro don't know what they are doing then Cheesy

So you're saying that Greensboro Catholics don't pray to God? I don't think so.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2004, 12:23:25 AM »

No, that is what they have told us... Trust me we asked because Catholics are not that common as up north.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2004, 12:25:39 AM »

No, that is what they have told us... Trust me we asked because Catholics are not that common as up north.

So wait...you mean to tell me you asked Catholics down in North Carolina if they prayed to God and they said No? Listen, Catholics have a devotion to the Blessed Mother but to say we just pray to Mary is ridiculous.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2004, 12:26:50 AM »

So wait...you mean to tell me you asked Catholics down in North Carolina if they prayed to God and they said No? Listen, Catholics have a devotion to the Blessed Mother but to say we just pray to Mary is ridiculous.

I'm not saying you pray to Mary, I am just saying that is what the Catholics in Greensboro said.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2004, 12:29:00 AM »

since there are such few Catholics in the south, they probably most belong to nutty offshoot sects. You have few Lutherans too, and I bet if you were to ask them abou things they would say stuff that we don't believe here, such as that the Pope is the Antichrist and women shouldn't be ordained.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2004, 12:31:09 AM »

I'm not saying you pray to Mary, I am just saying that is what the Catholics in Greensboro said.

We pray directly to God and we also pray through Mary and the Saints to God.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2004, 12:32:00 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 12:32:17 AM by Southwest AFRNC Chairman Josh22 »

since there are such few Catholics in the south, they probably most belong to nutty offshoot sects. You have few Lutherans too, and I bet if you were to ask them abou things they would say stuff that we don't believe here, such as that the Pope is the Antichrist and women shouldn't be ordained.

I have a Lutheran friend. She said they are kinda like Catholics.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2004, 12:33:08 AM »

I have a Lutheran friend. She said they are kinda like Catholics.

Lutherans are very similar to Catholics. It's probably the closest Protestant denomination to Catholicism.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2004, 12:33:34 AM »

Like Catholic pray to Mary, all that other stuff. And Protestans, pray to God and all that other stuff.

Who tells you these assinine things?  As I just got finished explaining, we do not pray to Mary.  We ask Mary to pray for us, as we do with the other Saints.  We pray only to God.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2004, 12:33:35 AM »

Huh? You pray to Saints too? Wouldn't that be like having other gods? (Not trying to be rude or upset you, but I don't know anything about Catholics)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: August 06, 2004, 12:35:12 AM »

Huh? You pray to Saints too? Wouldn't that be like having other gods? (Not trying to be rude or upset you, but I don't know anything about Catholics)

He said "through" not "to".  We have requests for intercession from the Saints.  We ask those who have gone before to pray for us.  We do not pray to them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #62 on: August 06, 2004, 12:36:47 AM »

He said "through" not "to".  We have requests for intercession from the Saints.  We ask those who have gone before to pray for us.  We do not pray to them.

Exactly. I made sure I put in the "through."
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: August 06, 2004, 12:36:47 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 12:39:37 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

Episcopalians are probably the closest denomination to Catholics, but the more conservative Lutheran branches are most similar to Catholicism than mine. While I suppose our services are similar, most of the doctrine is not, in Minnesota the ELCA is basically thought of as Catholicism without all the conservative nonsense that pisses most people off. From what I hear a lot of us are ex-Catholics, but I don't really know because I hardly ever go to church, lol.

But since Josh's friend lives outside the upper midwest, she probably belongs to one of the more conservative branches. We both ordain women and let them vote on church matters. The Missouri Synod doesn't ordain women, but does let them vote on such issues, the WELS does neither and basically treats women like property of their husbands. And then there are a few small sects which are basically just cults.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 06, 2004, 12:37:58 AM »

OH OK sorry, I was reading to fast.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: August 06, 2004, 12:40:22 AM »

You guys think the Southern Baptist are strange like I think Catholics are strange.  (Talking about how you guys worship)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2004, 12:41:08 AM »

You guys think the Southern Baptist are strange like I think Catholics are strange.  (Talking about how you guys worship)

Ok I'm curious, what is so "strange" about how we worship?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #67 on: August 06, 2004, 12:41:45 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 12:42:05 AM by Vice-President Supersoulty »

And the KJV is not "the one and only Bible".  I tolerate Protestant belief, but I do not tolerate it when they come after our Church with statements like that.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2004, 12:42:29 AM »

Ok I'm curious, what is so "strange" about how we worship?

I think it's strange too, but I'm not quite so ignorant as Josh.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2004, 12:42:45 AM »

Josh,

What gave you the idea that Catholics think Baptists are strange?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2004, 12:43:33 AM »

Yeah I'd like to make it known that my faith, the Catholic faith, is very important to me. I hope this doesn't become an area for insults about my faith.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: August 06, 2004, 12:43:39 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 12:46:26 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

And the KJV is not "the one and only Bible".  I tolerate Protestant belief, but I do not tolerate it when they come after our Church with statements like that.

well your church says that the Catholic bible is the "one and only Bible", no different from Josh's statement.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: August 06, 2004, 12:47:43 AM »

Josh,

What gave you the idea that Catholics think Baptists are strange?

some Catholics he met in Greensboro said so.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #73 on: August 06, 2004, 12:48:38 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 12:50:50 AM by Southwest AFRNC Chairman Josh22 »

Super don't get me started on the KJV. I will walk all over you on this issues.

For the past 4 year them christain liberals wanted to bring them wanna be bibles in our church. And for 4 years they tried to brainwash the youth. And tried to use us to get that CRAP in there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2004, 12:49:13 AM »

Tell us how we worship in a strange way.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies