Religion - I am A?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:24:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Religion - I am A?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Author Topic: Religion - I am A?  (Read 24255 times)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2004, 03:33:54 PM »

The most Consv. Christian Group on the Face of Earth Cheesy
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2004, 04:11:02 PM »

Then how do you explain Al Gore? Tongue  I am pretty sure he is a southern Baptist.
ThePrezMex
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: 5.25, S: -1.69

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2004, 04:14:02 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2004, 04:44:46 PM by ThePrezMex »

Then how do you explain Al Gore? Tongue  I am pretty sure he is a southern Baptist.

Same as Clinton
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2004, 04:18:16 PM »

I'm Catholic, but you know, we aren't really Christians, because we worship Mary and statues and have the anti-Christ leading our Church and supposedly aren't biblical.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2004, 04:35:34 PM »

I'm Catholic, but you know, we aren't really Christians, because we worship Mary and statues and have the anti-Christ leading our Church and supposedly aren't biblical.

I don't think it's unfair to say that it is the least monotheistic and patriarchal of the monotheistic religions.  Can you imagine a Jew or Prot or Muslim or Zoroastrian talking Trinity?  (No, I don't mean the Catholic-lite Episcopalians, either)  It is no coincidence that the French missionaries had a much easier time in Indochine and the Spanish had such an easy time converting polytheists to catholocism than prots have.  In fact, I believe the Bishop of Rome allows a great deal of latitude and interpretation, still, in the prefectures of South America.  I myself have witnessed ceremonies in Guatemala and Peru which are performed by Catholic priests but which also make allowances for preColumbian dieties.  I don't claim to understand it, as Christianity, like all monotheistic faiths, seems to require exclusivity, but I'm certain that in parts of the world Catholocism co-exists with polytheism.  And that it is the very nature of its mysticism which makes it easier for Catholocism to do this than the more abjectly monotheistic religions do.  
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2004, 04:40:38 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2004, 04:45:44 PM by Vice-President Supersoulty »

I don't think it's unfair to say that it is the least monotheistic and patriarchal of the monotheistic religions.  Can you imagine a Jew or Prot or Muslim or Zoroastrian talking Trinity?  (No, I don't mean the Catholic-lite Episcopalians, either)  It is no coincidence that the French missionaries had a much easier time in Indochine and the Spanish had such an easy time converting polytheists to catholocism than prots have.  In fact, I believe the Bishop of Rome allows a great deal of latitude and interpretation, still, in the prefectures of South America.  I myself have witnessed ceremonies in Guatemala and Peru which are performed by Catholic priests but which also make allowances for preColumbian dieties.  I don't claim to understand it, as Christianity, like all monotheistic faiths, seems to require exclusivity, but I'm certain that in parts of the world Catholocism co-exists with polytheism.  And that it is the very nature of its mysticism which makes it easier for Catholocism to do this than the more abjectly monotheistic religions do.  

Well, the Bible makes it very claer that there are three persons- the Father, Son and Holy Spirit- in one.  Any Protestant who claims to be Bible believe, but ignores this fact is in error.

P.S.  Which I find amusing, because I believe that Jmfcst is not a believer in the Trinity.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2004, 04:46:49 PM »

Lutheran.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2004, 04:49:00 PM »

Well, you're much better versed in this subject than am I, but I still think that's a very subtle and difficult thing for most folks to get their minds around.  I'll assume the Eastern rite churches have the same trinity, but that Lutherans and Calvinists and Presbyterians don't.  Not sure about evangelical protestants and Mormons.  And, not to offend, but I think it may be viewed by some scholars as a departure from strict monotheism.  I was taught to pray to Saints for intervention, for example.  I'm sure other monotheists don't do that.  Anyway, I know that wasn't your original point.  Your point was about misconceptions.  And I agree, misconceptions abound when it comes to religion.  Not just about Catholocism.  Imagine how Muslims must feel right about now.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2004, 04:56:58 PM »

I was taught to pray to Saints for intervention, for example.  I'm sure other monotheists don't do that.  

Another misconceptions.  Catholics are not to pray to saints and others, simply to ask them for their prayers.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2004, 05:06:13 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2004, 05:06:25 PM by Lunar »

Agnostic, somewhere between "Believe God with no denomination" and "athiest."  I personally feel more attracted to a more personal religion with no church heirarchy involved, but am not very religious myself.

I don't really think much of religion, I don't really care if there is a God or not because I absolutely do not believe in hell.

Or something.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2004, 05:09:19 PM »

I was taught to pray to Saints for intervention, for example.  I'm sure other monotheists don't do that.  

Another misconceptions.  Catholics are not to pray to saints and others, simply to ask them for their prayers.

damn, you're right.  I can still remember father burleson giving my mother the last rights like it was yesterday, even though that was 13 years ago.  I can still hear him saying, "Saint whatever, pray for us, ..."  I can also probably still recall hail holy queen and others which are prayers to saints to p  ---

Oh, wait, I have an epiphany.  I have to think about it some more, but might that just be an understanding among anglocentric (or, more broadly, Germanic peoples), as opposed to Romance peoples, due to language.  For example, in Latin and Spanish, the same verb is used for "to pray" and "to ask" in some senses.  Pedir is the spanish word, I forget the latin.  Oh, I have to think about this more, but I can imagine "Asking Mary" getting turned into "praying to mary"  Oh, seriously, think about it.  OOh, this is the sort of historico-linguistic hypothesis that needs some more thought.  But you can see how that might happen.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2004, 05:20:29 PM »

damn, you're right.  I can still remember father burleson giving my mother the last rights like it was yesterday, even though that was 13 years ago.  I can still hear him saying, "Saint whatever, pray for us, ..."  I can also probably still recall hail holy queen and others which are prayers to saints to p  ---

Oh, wait, I have an epiphany.  I have to think about it some more, but might that just be an understanding among anglocentric (or, more broadly, Germanic peoples), as opposed to Romance peoples, due to language.  For example, in Latin and Spanish, the same verb is used for "to pray" and "to ask" in some senses.  Pedir is the spanish word, I forget the latin.  Oh, I have to think about this more, but I can imagine "Asking Mary" getting turned into "praying to mary"  Oh, seriously, think about it.  OOh, this is the sort of historico-linguistic hypothesis that needs some more thought.  But you can see how that might happen.

What is the old saying... "The Devil is in the details".  Oh course certain other faiths have perverted Catholic belief over the years to be what it is not by misrepresenting the details of what we believe.  Certainly, no Catholic "prays to Saints", but it sounds bad if presented in that light.
raggage

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2004, 05:40:28 PM »

Haha. Don't I know that. I once did an exchange with police in Raliegh, North Carolina. I spent a portion of that time living with a fellow officer (a female) in a town called Winston-Salem.

When this was found out by the polive in Winston-Salem they looked at me really funny and told me I should be ashamed of myself for 'living in sin'.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2004, 05:43:02 PM »

Just when I thought the ghost of Bonjovi was dead, someone comes along and puts an old bonjovi lyric in my noggin.  Dammit.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2004, 06:05:59 PM »

Lutheran
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2004, 06:35:53 PM »

The truth comes out! Wink
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2004, 07:08:09 PM »

Well, the Bible makes it very claer that there are three persons- the Father, Son and Holy Spirit- in one.  Any Protestant who claims to be Bible believe, but ignores this fact is in error.

P.S.  Which I find amusing, because I believe that Jmfcst is not a believer in the Trinity.

that's only a few way out there denominations that reject the Trinity like Oneness Pentecostals, but I can see Jmfcst as a member of some nutty denomination like that.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2004, 07:14:29 PM »

Well Bill and Al was 2 bad seeds in the apple Cheesy
ijohn57s

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2004, 08:04:38 PM »

Independent Baptist
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2004, 09:41:36 PM »

Other: Greek Orthodox Christian
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2004, 10:05:59 PM »

What is that?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2004, 11:10:54 PM »

There is the Orthodox section of the church, as opposed to Catholic and Protestant.  The two main sects are Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox.

(I think)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2004, 12:00:07 AM »

There is the Orthodox section of the church, as opposed to Catholic and Protestant.  The two main sects are Russian Orthodox and Greek Orthodox.

(I think)

Oh, what is the differents? Like Catholic pray to Mary, all that other stuff. And Protestans, pray to God and all that other stuff.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2004, 12:01:23 AM »
« Edited: August 06, 2004, 12:02:40 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

wrong.

The Orthodox denominations are very similar to Catholic, except they don't recongize the authority of the Pope.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2004, 12:01:50 AM »

(I think)

Oh, what is the differents? Like Catholic pray to Mary, all that other stuff. And Protestans, pray to God and all that other stuff.

Ummm Josh, Catholics pray to God, also.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies