Which of these states will first go Democrat?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:17:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which of these states will first go Democrat?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Which of these states will first go Democrat?  (Read 11325 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 04, 2004, 10:09:15 PM »

I vote Virginia.

Note: If you think two or more of these will go Democratic at the same time, vote which one you think is more likely.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 10:10:35 PM »

If a guy like Evan Bayh runs, it's possible he could win Indiana.
MarkDel

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:11:36 PM »

Definitely Virginia. The Northeast corner of Virginia (near DC) is painfully Democratic and becoming more Democratic with each election cycle.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2004, 10:13:42 PM »

Yep. Bayh as the Dem Presidential nominee - Dems win Indiana. Bayh as the Dem VP nominee - Indiana is a tossup.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2004, 10:15:08 PM »

Bayh won't win the nomination anytime soon, thank God.

So I voted Virginia.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2004, 10:15:47 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2004, 03:38:03 PM by Dave Leip »

In this order:

1. Virginia
2. South Dakota
3. Oklahoma
4. Kansas
5. North Dakota
6. Indiana
7. Alaska
8. Nebraska
9. Wyoming
10. Idaho
11. Utah

I can see Alaska, Wyoming, and Idaho going sooner if the Republicans become increasingly big-government and anti-libertarian.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2004, 10:17:24 PM »

Yep. Bayh as the Dem Presidential nominee - Dems win Indiana. Bayh as the Dem VP nominee - Indiana is a tossup.

Yeah, but can you really call Bayh a Democrat?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2004, 10:18:02 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 10:19:43 PM by AuH2O »

You mean in one election, or permanently?

Because none of those will turn into DNC land under the current 2 party arrangement.

Virginia is the most overrated 'trending' place in the US. The lefties in Northern Virginia are government employees and trial lawyers and the like, and there is a limit on how many of them can live there; i.e., most of the new growth is party-neutral.

Look at what happened in Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado when middle and upper middle class Californians fled- those states picked up GOP voters. The high tech growth in N Virginia mostly attracts moderate Republicans.

The Western part of the state is trending GOP because of social issues. That will stem any residual growth in Arlington and parts of Fairfax. In the state legistlature, the GOP has gone from a minority party to holding 2/3 of the seats in about a decade. That's not a state trending hard to the Dems.

Mark Warner is similar to Evan Bayh. Democrats of that ilk can win anywhere, just as Mitt Romney won in Mass. for the GOP.

Plus, um, doesn't this thread assume the nation is trending Dem? That's a pretty bad assumption if he you look at party registration.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2004, 10:19:45 PM »

Many Dems feel the way you feel so, like BRTD said, he won't win the nomination.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2004, 10:23:18 PM »

Bayh wouldn't even be a strong candidate anyway. He only wins in Indiana because of his family name.

He is extremely unispiring, even worse than Kerry and Gore, who while not the most interesting people on the planet at least are able bring in the liberal wing of the party pretty well, Bayh can not. And his views wouldn't help him in many states, he would have a tough winning populist voters, and might ironically win Indiana and lose Ohio, possibly even Michigan.

He's just lousy overall.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2004, 10:23:20 PM »

In one election.

Plus, um, doesn't this thread assume the nation is trending Dem? That's a pretty bad assumption if he you look at party registration.

Not necessarily. But sooner or later almost every state will go to the other party in a landslide.
MarkDel

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2004, 10:23:38 PM »

Because none of those will turn into DNC land under the current 2 party arrangement.

Virginia is the most overrated 'trending' place in the US. The lefties in Northern Virginia are government employees and trial lawyers and the like, and there is a limit on how many of them can live there; i.e., most of the new growth is party-neutral.

Look at what happened in Arizona, Nevada, and Colorado when middle and upper middle class Californians fled- those states picked up GOP voters. The high tech growth in N Virginia mostly attracts moderate Republicans.

The Western part of the state is trending GOP because of social issues. That will stem any residual growth in Arlington and parts of Fairfax. In the state legistlature, the GOP has gone from a minority party to holding 2/3 of the seats in about a decade. That's not a state trending hard to the Dems.

Mark Warner is similar to Evan Bayh. Democrats of that ilk can win anyway, just as Mitt Romney won in Mass.

You are correct that there is a limit to the expansion of the Democrats in Northern Virginia...they are almost exclusively Government employees and human vultures (lawyers). However, a Democratic administration would lead to the creation of MORE government jobs, which helps the Democrats. And as far as a "lack of space" for development, that's not entirely true. People are just moving farther and farther South on the I-95 corridor. I could not believe how different Fredericksburg (for example) was the last time I visited. This used to be a quasi-rural area, but not any longer, it looks like a cheap DC suburb now, especially in terms of the racial and ethnic makeup...ie...more Democratic voters.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 10:25:08 PM »

Lack of space is no problem, just look at how far Chicago metro expands out west. Hell, it might reach Richmond at this rate.
MarkDel

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 10:26:59 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2004, 10:28:46 PM by MarkDel »

Beef,

No, Bayh is clearly not a Democrat who has a true place in the modern Democratic Party. He definitely should switch parties, along with other Senators like Joe Lieberman and Ben Nelson.

Remember how Howard Dean said that he represents the "Democratic Wing" of the Democratic Party? Well, guys like Evan Bayh represent the "American Wing" of the Democratic Party....which means they have no home in a party which would allow American foreign policy to be determined by the world opinion, the United Nations and select European nations.
Giant Saguaro
TheGiantSaguaro

Political Matrix
E: 2.58, S: 3.83

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2004, 10:28:41 PM »

Probably VA, of this list. And I don't see it going Dem for a while; this breed of Democrats, though, won't win any of these states until they gain a better understanding of the people who live in them. Maybe deep down they do, I don't know, and just won't change where they need to change to get these peoples' votes. I mean who would you rather pander to, the voters in Cali, who will give you 55 EV's, or the good folks in Utah, who will give you 5? Right.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2004, 10:32:29 PM »

When you consider the time frame we're talking about though... I have a feeling government and it's associated industries are going to be a little more decentralized in the future, just because of communications advances. Virginia politics will be interesting, but the state stays GOP indefinitely.

Plus, at some point, the east coast is going to have to develop some kind of real option for transportation. People just aren't going to spend 2 hours driving to work... Nova is already a complete traffic nightmare (as is DC of course), my area (Hampton Roads) is 10th worst in the US, and Richmond isn't getting smaller. Maglev work is being done at a University near where I live.

I wonder how much more Montgomery County, Maryland can grow? Because land is much cheaper in MD than VA...
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2004, 11:51:49 PM »

VA is nowhere near as strong GOP as any of the other states listed.

AuH2O-

People do spend 2 hours driving to work.  Stafford, VA and Frederick, MD are 2 hour commutes.  Those areas have a lot of cheap land and are growing rapidly.

MD land is not cheaper than VA land.  In fact as a percentage of the total land, the opposite is true.

As for Montgomery County, from I-370 southward is developed about as much as it can be barring an expansion of the urban area across the beltway.  The northern half of the county is like the western half of Fairfax county: mostly undeveloped and growing numerically faster but proportionately slower than Stafford or Frederick.
Shira

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2004, 11:57:51 PM »

Definitely Virginia. The Northeast corner of Virginia (near DC) is painfully Democratic and becoming more Democratic with each election cycle.

Since 1988 the GOP in VA are going down by pace of 0.3% each yesr.
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2004, 11:59:59 PM »
« Edited: August 05, 2004, 12:01:19 AM by RightWingNut »

My final prediction for VA is Bush +3.7:

Bush 51.4 - Kerry 47.7 - Badnarik 1.0
Shira

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 12:10:35 AM »

My final prediction for VA is Bush +3.7:

Bush 51.4 - Kerry 47.7 - Badnarik 1.0

Very possible
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 12:30:26 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2004, 12:30:49 AM by Better Red Than Dead »

People do spend 2 hours driving to work.  Stafford, VA and Frederick, MD are 2 hour commutes.  Those areas have a lot of cheap land and are growing rapidly.

I SHOULD move to the Twin Cities then. It's less than a 2 hour drive. If I could could fit my school schedule in, it'd work perfectly. Of course I could transfer my job.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2004, 01:04:14 AM »

Probably VA, of this list. And I don't see it going Dem for a while; this breed of Democrats, though, won't win any of these states until they gain a better understanding of the people who live in them. Maybe deep down they do, I don't know, and just won't change where they need to change to get these peoples' votes. I mean who would you rather pander to, the voters in Cali, who will give you 55 EV's, or the good folks in Utah, who will give you 5? Right.

California has 35 million people to Utahs 2 million, and the cost of living is a lot lower there.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2004, 04:02:14 AM »

Virginia first, North Dakota second.
cwelsch

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2004, 04:24:47 AM »

WY, ID, UT and NE are four of the top five most reliablke GOP states, and by the biggest margins.  They're going nowhere.

I'd say it's VA or OK.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2004, 04:31:45 AM »

Definitely Virginia, the only of the listed states that might go Democratic this election (not in a tied election, but if Kerry wins by a margin of 5% or so nationally) and might do so in the near future.

Of the others, I don't know...
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies