1988 Presidential Election - Who would you have voted for?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  1988 Presidential Election - Who would you have voted for?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Who would you have voted for in 1988?
George H.W. Bush (R)

Michael S. Dukakis (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: 1988 Presidential Election - Who would you have voted for?  (Read 6826 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 12:09:56 PM »

A reluctant vote for Dukakis. Something about him has always rubbed me the wrong way.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »

Without question the capable and consensus building Bush over the incredibly colorless ultra liberal Dukakis who believed more in granting furloughs to vicious killers than about the rights of victims.

You do realize that the furlough program was started under Dukakis's predecessor, right? The whole Willie Horton thing was just another baseless and asinine Republican attack; the same kind they have been utilizing since 1968. But hey, with the exception of Clinton, Democrats seem to be utterly inept at refuting them, so go with what works, I guess.

Don't you just love American politics?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2007, 10:19:51 PM »

Without question the capable and consensus building Bush over the incredibly colorless ultra liberal Dukakis who believed more in granting furloughs to vicious killers than about the rights of victims.

You do realize that the furlough program was started under Dukakis's predecessor, right? The whole Willie Horton thing was just another baseless and asinine Republican attack; the same kind they have been utilizing since 1968. But hey, with the exception of Clinton, Democrats seem to be utterly inept at refuting them, so go with what works, I guess.

Don't you just love American politics?

True, the furlough program was signed into law by Republican Governor Francis Sargent in 1972.  However, what you fail to mention, is that after the Massachusetts Supreme Court ruled that this right extended as well to first degree murderers (trust the Massachusetts Supreme Court to make such an abhorrent ruling), the Massachusetts legislature then quickly passed a bill prohibiting furloughs for first degree murderers.

In 1976, Governor Dukaukis vetoed this bill, that is to say Dukakis vetoed the bill that prohibited furloughs for first degree murderers.  In other words, Dukakis wanted to have furloughs for first degree murderers.   The program remained in effect through the intervening term of Governor Edward King and was abolished during Dukakis's final term on April 28,1988.  This abolition only occurred after the Lawrence Eagle Tribune had run 175 stories about the furlough program and won a Pulitzer Prize.  Dukakis continued to argue that the program was 99% effective, yet, as the Lawrence Eagle Tribune pointed out, no state outside of Massachusetts, nor any federal program, would grant a furlough to a prisoner serving life without parole, as Horton was.

Dukakis was the strongest defender of this atrocious furlough program for first degree murderers.

Dukakis was an abyssmal failure as Governor, was out of his depth as a Presidential candidate, and did not belong anywhere near the White House.         
defe07

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2007, 03:09:49 PM »

Even though I was at the tender age of 4 in RL, had I been born in 1964, I probably would've voted for Ron Paul. Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2007, 06:53:17 PM »

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2007, 08:01:01 PM »

Dukakis would've made a fine President, and I happily supported him (I did vote for him in our 4th grade class election Smiley).

He made a lousy candidate, though. Too logical and intellectual to connect with the average person.
Yeah, America had a real hard time connecting with that tank
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2007, 08:58:11 PM »

Almost everybody forgets that Michael Dukakis was actually the favorite in this race until September.  Shows you how fast an election can change course. 
Fingolfin
Rookie
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -5.91

« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2007, 05:58:31 AM »

In those elections I wouldnt vote, I´d eliminate and between both of them, I would have eliminate Bu$h
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 09:39:46 PM »

The whole Willie Horton thing was just another baseless and asinine Republican attack; the same kind they have been utilizing since 1968.

Al Gore is a Republican?
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 09:55:41 PM »

The whole Willie Horton thing was just another baseless and asinine Republican attack; the same kind they have been utilizing since 1968.

Al Gore is a Republican?

Yes.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 09:57:16 PM »

Al Gore is a Republican?
He's a fat white guy from the South, how much more Republican can you get?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies