Antillian Constitutional Convention (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:35:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Antillian Constitutional Convention (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Antillian Constitutional Convention  (Read 29747 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: November 19, 2007, 09:02:47 AM »

I would call for a 6 month transitionary period, lessed to 3 months should be be ahead of schedule
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:11:54 PM »

1. Definitely a Governor General as representative of the Queen as HoS, as we should rejoin the Commonwealth.

2. Unicameral Parliament for now, with a second purely consultative house once we get large enough.  How many MAP's I'm not worried about.

3. Parties are only guaranteed MAP's if they have at least 5% of the electorate.  Let the GM decide if anyone from a decidedly regional party gets elected, if such party numbers less than 5% of the total electorate.  Obviously this means everyone who wants to be is an MAP until we get 21 participants.

4. Shall we have an established church or churches?  I think given our Francophone population a single established church would not be acceptable, but having the Church of Antillia and the Catholic Church as established churches would be acceptable to me.

I back this (though I'd call MAP's simply MP's) The Catholic Church would never be allowed to be an established church however; it would be a threat to the (British) monarchy. An Anglican Church however would fit the bill. There may have been, and may still be moves to disestablish it. Not that an established Church has any more 'resounance' than another church.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 08:49:57 AM »

Alexandre Denoix.

I object to the motion of designating a single chaplain. Due to our constitutional tradition that chaplain must directly represent that established church we should not create religious division at a time when we wish to mend ethnic and linguistic division. While Christian brothers of all faiths should not object to the representation of God in this convention, those of other faiths and none may also hold an objection. We do have a strong secular tradition across parts of this land and it is one that reformed Communists could exploit.

Should we chose to rejoin the Commonwelath and accept Her Majesty's gracious protection, it is through her and through her authority and presence through the form of the old parliamentary mace that God is represented.

I move for the Convention to decide upon the Commonwealth and monarchy question above all business and hopefully to see the return of the Royal Mace from The Antillan National Museum to sit at the Convention while in session and in any future parliament or assembly.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 07:41:57 PM »

Denoix.

Of course. If I may I would like to nominate an outstanding citizen and freedom fighter Chief Rabbi Simon Menahem as a rotational chaplain.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 08:16:04 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 09:15:11 AM »

I agree with Dudley.

The world is watching. We must establish the bones of our democracy and then let the meat sort out itself.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »

Mr Denoix rises...

The most pressing issue I believe is our position with regards to a head of state. I believe that as a nation, in the recent past we have suffered from the abuse of constitutional powers. I therefore hold fast the belief that as a nation we should entrust the powers of the head of state to a woman who has never abused this power; to Her Majesty the Queen through her appointed Governor General. As politicians our duty should be to parliament and our aspiration, should we desire to be the Premier, the Prime Minister, the 'first amongst equals.' We should set forward a path towards the establishment of a parliamentary democracy and as a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:20:53 AM »

Oui
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 07:54:00 PM »

Mr Denoix rises (after his cup of tea)

I will also support Mr Khans proposal which would be unique, but in keeping with our little island's status. I am more than willing to accept that a monarchy will not be a viable option. I also want to see as little government as possible. A Head of State nominated by a parliament, which my friends will be elected by and accountable to the people, in a cross partisan free vote is in itself an admirable proposal. It has my backing unless any other tangable proposal is tabled.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 08:55:57 AM »

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 05:43:57 PM »

Mr. Khan rises...

In response to Mr. Jones' question, first past the post is not a very representative system. I would have no problem with Mr. Cooke's proposal, but I would prefer the system proposed in Ontario, which does not have overhang seats.

I would also support such a system at this juncture
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 10:06:40 AM »

I object.

I disagree in having such authority, during the decision making process in the hands of one individual.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2007, 12:52:35 PM »

Nay.

For the nominated candidate to move this to a vote without an alternate proposal after two objections and less than 24 hours after dissent was expressed is highly unethical. For the record of this Convention I would have supported the establishment of a chair and vice chair giving the vice chair the authority to publically voice dissent and for that dissent to be considered.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 04:07:00 AM »

If you wish to propose someone else, then do it. I wanted this to move to vote, because I want to get things done, sir. Endless bickering and disorder does not accomplish anything. The position of Chairman had already been created with Mr. Jones, sir.

To suggest what I did by proposing a vote as dishonest is highly insulting to me, sir. I frankly, don't care who is Chairman, as long as we have some order. We can move about for a Vice-Chair nomination if you so wish.

I did not suggest that a movement to vote was dishonest, I stated it was inadvertantly unethical. Nor sir do I believe it to have been intentional. I agree with the need to keep the process in motion, but not at the expense of proper consultation and debate. I say this too regarding my own unexpected nomination as vice-chair before that issue has been discussed. We have to establish a timescale as to how long a period time a motion can remain on the floor before deliberation, and how long voting is open before the motion is carried or struck down. I don't believe I am being a 'blocker' by suggesting we establish these basic rules.

I would also suggest to the next Chair that as a Convention we should be able to decide upon multiple issues over a set time period instead of proceeding in such a linear fashion.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 06:37:25 AM »

Thank you for an exceptional reply that have adressed my concerns. I change my vote to 'Aye' should the Convention accept it.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 08:36:27 AM »

Abstain. I won't vote to confirm myself
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 05:04:44 PM »

I also do not favor granting the Leader of the Loyal Opposition such a large number of questions as it would likely deny backbenchers of both the Government and the Loyal Opposition the chance to speak.  The proposal also seems to implicitly presume that we would have no members who might seek to sit crossbench and consider each Government proposal on the merits rather than being whipped into opposing or supporting the bills presented to the Parliment, but that fault can be dealt with at another time.

PMQ's do serve a very non-legislative purpose in many parliamentary democracies. They spur debate and set the agenda in the often fickle press. I see no harm in allowing for this spectacle for both the public amusment and to the benefit of the democratic process in the early days of it's existance. I would however suggest a reduction in questions asked to the PM or the leader of the assembly to around 2 or 3 on a fortnightly basis.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 02:22:48 PM »

Just to inform the Convention I will be absent from Friday to Wednesday. I am in Belgium to discuss linguistics and the political process.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies