Antillian Constitutional Convention (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:56:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Antillian Constitutional Convention (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Antillian Constitutional Convention  (Read 29751 times)
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« on: November 19, 2007, 07:22:16 AM »

whoa. Lets maked this far more basic. Basic, in the way that we talk about the system OOC-it makes for a far better system and a far, far shorter debate, from past experience.

Three proposals: 1. Unicameral parliament with head of state as Speaker. HoS either governor-general or president elected by the parliament.

2. 50 MPs, regardless of number of players (if more come, they can fulfill many other roles, such as Ambassadors, journalists, GM aides, political aides, etc. The GM will fill 'extra' spots when under-numbered. Ergo, elections are decided by the independent GM based on party activity, event effects and political persuasions of the electiorate.

3. 6 month grace period before no 1 member parties.

just a few ideas to spark some discussion.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:49:13 AM »

Vijay Prabhusanjil

As an old nation at a new juncture of our history, it is time to move towards a new future with a reflection on our past.

The commonwealth is a body which aids our interntions of modernising and moving into the world; of reclaiming a presence on the world scene. Returning to the monarchy, however, takes us away from the strong, independent future that can be ours; subserviance to a foreign monarch is not acceptable for the future of this island.

Our multi-ethnic, multi-lingual, multi-cultural and multi-faith populace cannot and should not be united under one person, and no group should be favoured without compromise over others in our parliament. No religion, no monarch, and no discrimination in the new Antillia.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 05:19:19 AM »

Nay
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:42:55 AM »

Vijay Prabhusanjil, SDP-Reginia

I echo strongly the many of the views presented by the previous speaker, Mr. Watson. Despite our many differences, we have one united island of significant diversity; and that diversity essentialises the end to all talk of monarchy, particularly foreign monarchy, on our island.

I have spent much time in the United Kingdom, and I recognise the role the monarchy plays there is uniting rather than dividing the people under a figurehead. I strongly support the same role for the Head of State of Antillia-but an Antillian Head of State should be just that-Antillian. A parliamentary republic is the system that most clearly and least divisively leads to a governmental structure of fairness to all the many diverse groups; inheriting the parliamentary system from the United Kingdom is no bad thing. Inheriting their monarch stifles our democracy and diminshes the rights of non-British ethnic Antillians for their leader to reflect them.

A strong, representative parliament in a Commonwealth-member republic is the official stance of my party and will remain so in the long term as determined through the party's internal and democratic process.

Thank you.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 12:05:13 AM »

Now, I have some questions regarding human rights:

• Do you believe there should be a right to bear arms?
  • Do you believe there should be a right to vote?

Vijay Prabhusanjil, SDP-Reginia (Jennings)

Bears most certainly have a right to their own arms, but it is cruel to allow Antillians to have them.

Personally, I support significant regulation of guns, including a universal ban on semi-automatic weaponry.

I also believe there is not only the necesity of a right to vote, but indeed a responsibility to vote. I strongly support universal francise and universal compulsion for adults to vote in our nation.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 03:17:53 AM »

Vijay Prabhusanjil (SDP-Reginia)

I am in agreement with my colleague Mr. Khan in support of the first change as suggested by Mr. Hordern.

I am strongly opposed to a first-past-the-post voting system.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 12:29:49 AM »

Aye
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 07:21:25 AM »

Vijay bPabhusanjil, SDP-Reginia

I am of the opinion that whilst each province must be assured of at least one MP, parliamentary seats must be apportioned on the basis of population. That said, if one province were to narrowly miss a second, third or even fourth quota, parliament should have the ability to create an extra seat in any province if that province was within 30% of making a second quota, 15% of making a third quota, and 5% of making any later quotas. It would not, however, be automatic.

On the subject of PMQ's, I feel that all members of parliament have not only the right but also the responsibility to represent their electors in our parliament, not only the leader of the opposition, nor only those whom are aligned against the government in parties or even coalitions. I do, however, support a gaurantee that the leader of the opposition shall be granted one question minimum in each question time.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 09:14:45 PM »

Nay to both; and I believe we have not actually determined a system for amending proposals at this stage, nor do I think we should determine one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies