Antillian Constitutional Convention (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:46:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Antillian Constitutional Convention (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Antillian Constitutional Convention  (Read 29767 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: November 23, 2007, 12:30:41 AM »

Egbert Dudley (ALP-New Ulster)

I believe I have something to say on this matter, Mr. Jones, before you move to vote. Being that I personally am agnostic with no demoninational faith, but wish to see fair to our other members who believe in a higher power. That being said, I feel it is somewhat presumptious and pompous to have a chaplain give us his blessing. I will however support a rotating chaplain, out of respect to my honorable collegues here today, if it be thier wishes.

I motion to close debate and move this to a vote.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »

Dudley

If it will move this along, Aye.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »

(Dudley stands during a lull)

Clearly we have a majority. I would like to know when this vote closes, as I feel we need to move on with other pressing issues.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »

Egbert Dudley

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Alexandre Denoix. We are spending far too much time voting on what is really a light vote with no real consequence. I would ask that Mr. Davey Jones close this vote so that we may please move to the important issues.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 07:18:25 PM »

Second.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:21:54 PM »

Egbert Dudley (ALP-New Ulster) rises

Mr. Cooke, I myself would ask you if you wanted an Antillian as Head of State or someone with no real concern or knowledge of the problems our tiny island faces. I am strongly opposed to Monarchy of any kind, particularly monarchy from someone of a different nation.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 09:37:04 PM »

Dudley nods and smiles at Watson's comment, then rises again after Davey Jones' resignation

Perhaps if Mr. Jones had been able to establish some kind of order, it wouldn't have been necessary. Mr. Khan is quite correct, although I don't believe Mr. Cooke meant any harm. However, for future reference, the other members of that party should speak for themselves. Just because you sit together like Mr. Watson and I do, doesn't mean you have to comply with one individual's thoughts. Take your own and speak for yourself. Mr. Cooke should take notice and refrain from using "we", and rather use "I".

I would like to move that the position of convention president be named immidiately, and motion for an individual voice vote from each member.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:31:34 PM »

Dudley

Second
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 11:10:11 PM »

Then Mr. Hordern, we need to elect a member not of this body. I am strongly opposed to monarchy of any kind. Of the choices presented, I stand in support of Mr. Khan.

Also, I would like to inquire as to why Mr. Hordern believes us all sinners and that there isn't a man among us who would act in a nonpartisan manner?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 11:13:38 PM »

Dudley

I motion Mr. Khan's proposal to a vote.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 01:22:49 AM »

Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 04:14:49 PM »

Egbert Dudley

A majority has been reached. I motion to close the vote.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2007, 09:58:41 PM »

Dudley

Third
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 02:50:30 AM »

Mr. Dudley (ALP-New Ulster) rises...

I have no reason to object to one provincial MP. I will support Mr. Hordern's motion.

Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2007, 02:44:16 PM »

I would like to know exactly who the PM is going to be? I'm getting impatient with the lack of any kind of a plan here. It seems we're just kind of making things up as we go. Mr. Hordern's motion needs to be voted on first. Then maybe we can move to the next order of business. It's extremely difficult with out a Convention President to keep the order. Mr. Jones' personality was unfortunately not strong enough. We need a Convention President.

These are just the first things that need done. We have so much work to do.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2007, 05:29:13 PM »

Dudley shrugs at Mr. Watson's suggestion
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2007, 11:52:56 PM »

Dudley rises with perspiration on his brow...

Very well, if it be your wishes. I will ask if there is any objection to my serving as Convention President? If there isn't I will immidiately set to work.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2007, 09:19:46 PM »

Dudley

Some kind of order needs kept, gentleman. If you want the job, then by all means take it, but we need someone to maintain some kind of control on votes and debate. We have everyone moving off in all directions. Mr. Hordern's motion needs voted on. Votes need taken. That's all I see the position as. To keep motions and votes in order? Would you rather just do it as chaotic as possible?... How are we to do anything, I ask you? Someone must take the job.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2007, 01:10:34 AM »

How about we just move this to a vote. I will abstain.

All in favor of Egbert Dudley (Myself) taking over the post of Convention Chair, vote aye, nay, or abstain.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 12:40:15 AM »

If you wish to propose someone else, then do it. I wanted this to move to vote, because I want to get things done, sir. Endless bickering and disorder does not accomplish anything. The position of Chairman had already been created with Mr. Jones, sir.

To suggest what I did by proposing a vote as dishonest is highly insulting to me, sir. I frankly, don't care who is Chairman, as long as we have some order. We can move about for a Vice-Chair nomination if you so wish.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2007, 01:29:17 AM »

Vice-Chair, correct?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2007, 02:47:06 PM »

If you wish to propose someone else, then do it. I wanted this to move to vote, because I want to get things done, sir. Endless bickering and disorder does not accomplish anything. The position of Chairman had already been created with Mr. Jones, sir.

To suggest what I did by proposing a vote as dishonest is highly insulting to me, sir. I frankly, don't care who is Chairman, as long as we have some order. We can move about for a Vice-Chair nomination if you so wish.

I did not suggest that a movement to vote was dishonest, I stated it was inadvertantly unethical. Nor sir do I believe it to have been intentional. I agree with the need to keep the process in motion, but not at the expense of proper consultation and debate. I say this too regarding my own unexpected nomination as vice-chair before that issue has been discussed. We have to establish a timescale as to how long a period time a motion can remain on the floor before deliberation, and how long voting is open before the motion is carried or struck down. I don't believe I am being a 'blocker' by suggesting we establish these basic rules.

I would also suggest to the next Chair that as a Convention we should be able to decide upon multiple issues over a set time period instead of proceeding in such a linear fashion.

Your point is well taken, Mr. Denoix.

I just wanted to get some leadership so that discussions wouldn't break down. I would support you for position as Vice Chair. Such rules were never established. Maybe once these positions are filled, we can come to agreement as a body on reasonable time lengths. The religious debate from early on took far too much time before being brought to vote. Trivial matters such as that aren't warranted for something like a week of debate. We have other issues before the floor, and a chair was desperately required. That is why I did what I did.

I would say something like 24 hours of debate. 24 hours to vote, and no more than five issues on the floor at one time. After that, debate becomes extremely muddled. We should establish three positions. Chairman (which is already established but not filled), Vice-Chair, which was proposed, and Secretary which would be the office in charge of record keeping, and hopefully wiki-ing this.

The Chairman's job should merely be to put votes before the floor and keep track of debate and call for the vote.

The Vice-Chair should basically follow along the lines of your earlier suggestion.

The Secretary is like any other body member, except they keep the records of party memberships, etc. and to establish the Wiki.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2007, 01:06:07 PM »

You're quite welcome, Mr. Denoix. There's no precedence established for that, so hopefully the rest of the convention won't mind if it is changed. I hope we can address voting changes as well. I would like to ask someone to come up with some procedural solution, and we can table it along with Mr. Hordern's and Mr. Tudor's proposals.

It's been about twenty four hours since both vote on Chairman began and your nomination for Vice-Chair.

I close the vote on Chairman, Egbert Dudley has been elected Chairman of Antillian Convention 7-2.

I open the vote on Alexander Denoix for Vice-Chairman. You have 24 hours to vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. You may change your vote but only within that period.

*Gavel Bang*
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 03:16:31 PM »

Convention Chair Egbert Dudley (ALP-New Ulster)

It has been more than 24 hours. Mr. Denoix is confirmed as Vice-Chair of Antillian Constitutional Convention with a vote of 7-1-1.

*Gavel Bang*

The Chair will accept nominations for Secretary.

Also before the body, we will begin debate on two motions. The first made by Mr. Hordern:

If we adopt an MMP system, we need to do one of the following:
1. Reduce the number of provincial MP's to 1.
2. Apportion the provincial MP's by population instead of a flat rate.
3. Increase the size of Parliment to more than 50 MP's.

The next motion was made by Mr. Tudor:

Our Prime Minister (whenever they come to be) be held accountable, this should be achieved by holding a weekly session (feel free to amend for time and day) of taking questions from the leader of the determined opposition, as well as members of Parliament at large, the neutral speaker will have the increased responsibility of not only keeping the questions and the body in order, but also choosing at random who shall address the PM outside of the Leader of the Opposition (and other significant parties)

To set a base set of numbers to work with:

The Question Time (Proposed name: Prime Minister's Questions) shall be held once a week (OOC: probably over a few days for forum's sake) for 3 days, Tue-Thu, or Fri-Sun, this is to be decided by the PM due to the fact his participation is the most crucial.

The QT will include a minimum 5 questions asked by the Leader of the Opposition, to be responded in turn by the PM, leaving the PM with the final word.

The Speaker may extend this exchange based on judgement of the questions remaining to be asked and time limits.

The Speaker will halt any innapropriate questions (OOC: but not delete them from view) and keep the house commentary to a minimum.

Debate on both of these motions will last 24 hours before they are brought to a vote.

*Gavel Bang*
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »

Convention Chairman Egbert Dudley (ALP-New Ulster)

So noted, Mr. Denoix.

It has been more than 24 hours. I hereby open vote on Mr. Hordern's and Mr. Tudor's propositions. Please vote aye, nay, or abstain. Vote closes 24 hours from now.

*Gavel Bang*
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies