are you a christian?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:30:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  are you a christian?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: are you a christian?  (Read 23745 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: November 12, 2007, 06:07:55 PM »

Oh. Hello. I'd forgotten about you Smiley

The conversation in the thread has moved on somewhat. Maybe you could respond to some of the more recent posts made by other posters instead of ignoring them? I have no more to say on the matter we discussed and I thought from your last post that was the 'final word' from you too.

I thought I had...

Guilt and cheapened feeling'?  No, I never get that.  When I was young I used to fear getting caught, but only because I suspected my parents were idiots like yourself, having internalized prudery.  I never feel guilty - my only feeling is that some people are stupid enough to 'disapprove' of me.

That's actually a very sensible statement.

What ever happened to "It is better to marry than to burn with lust (1Cor 7:9)"?....oh, sorry, I mistook this for a Christian thread.

---

I have no more to say on the matter we discussed and I thought from your last post that was the 'final word' from you too.

It was my final word about the interpretation of Mat 19:11-12, but I wanted to correct your most recent assertion that Mat 19:11-12 was the whole basis of my argument.  To the contrary, my basis is the pattern set forth at the beginning and reaffirmed throughout the length of scripture.

Mat 19:11-12 is your argument, not mine.  I would have never brought the passage up, for it is a statement regarding celibacy that "only" a few (not the majority) can accept:

"(v.11) Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given."...meaning that the disciples statement, "(v10) It is better not to marry" does not hold true for the majority.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #176 on: November 12, 2007, 08:58:43 PM »

No.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #177 on: November 12, 2007, 09:45:28 PM »

Yes, although most churches tend to piss me off nowadays by pushing the evangelical crap or the homosexual agenda crap.
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #178 on: April 10, 2008, 10:13:09 PM »

I am not a Christian, but I would be very pleased if there turns out to be a super nice guy who loves everyone and gives them all a wonderful place to live after they die. Kiki
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19:52 PM »

I don't remember if I posted in this and I don't feel like looking so....

Yes, I'm a Christian.  However, I don't like going to church.  I read the Bible instead.

Someday, I hope to find a church I can actually enjoy going to....

Rin-chan
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #180 on: April 10, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »

Nope. Atheism is the way to go.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2008, 10:21:36 PM »

yes.....yes iam Smiley
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #182 on: April 10, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »

Much less than I used to be (philosophically; I was never church-going). But I will never call myself an atheist.
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2008, 10:51:25 PM »

Yes, I'm a Christian.  However, I don't like going to church.  I read the Bible instead.

Rin-chan

What is is that prevents you from enjoying your church experience? The church I used to go to was lovely. It was really fun. I've visited other churches as well and I have enjoyed them.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: April 10, 2008, 10:59:43 PM »

Rin-chan

What is is that prevents you from enjoying your church experience? The church I used to go to was lovely. It was really fun. I've visited other churches as well and I have enjoyed them.

The church I was confirmed in is filled with hypocritical people from my high school who are not actually Christian.  And, since I don't enjoy the company of any of them, I don't go.  I went to my best friend's church sometimes but this woman there kept calling me and asking me to go, which creeped me out and I stopped going lol

I did go to this other church thing that was held at my best friend's church but it was a different organization, called Liquid.  I really liked that, but it moved to Morristown and I don't know how to get there lol  I'm a bad driver lol

Rin-chan
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #185 on: April 10, 2008, 11:02:55 PM »

Seriously? I remember you were saying you were an atheist (plus your previous name).
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #186 on: April 10, 2008, 11:12:08 PM »

Seriously? I remember you were saying you were an atheist (plus your previous name).

/sarcasm
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #187 on: April 10, 2008, 11:28:41 PM »

Rin-chan

The church I was confirmed in is filled with hypocritical people from my high school who are not actually Christian.  And, since I don't enjoy the company of any of them, I don't go.  I went to my best friend's church sometimes but this woman there kept calling me and asking me to go, which creeped me out and I stopped going lol

I did go to this other church thing that was held at my best friend's church but it was a different organization, called Liquid.  I really liked that, but it moved to Morristown and I don't know how to get there lol  I'm a bad driver lol

Rin-chan

I see. Churches must be better on the West Coast, then. Wink Hahaha. Anyway, good luck finding a church that suits you. Don't give up.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix

« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2008, 11:35:39 PM »

Rin-chan

Rin-chan

I see. Churches must be better on the West Coast, then. Wink Hahaha. Anyway, good luck finding a church that suits you. Don't give up.

Smiley Thank you!!  You're so nice!!

Welcome to the forum, by the way!! XD

Rin-chan
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »

Not sure if I posted in here either but yes I am a christian, and am Catholic. I like my church though I haven't been to it, or any church in 2 years. Tongue
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #190 on: April 11, 2008, 12:04:40 AM »

I like my church but haven't been to it a few months, too.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #191 on: April 11, 2008, 01:03:00 AM »

No, though I used to be. And people like jmfcst are one of the original reasons that I began questioning it. Thanks jmfcst!
Tonberry
Rookie
United States

« Reply #192 on: April 11, 2008, 10:44:14 AM »

Rin-chan

Rin-chan

Smiley Thank you!!  You're so nice!!

Welcome to the forum, by the way!! XD

Rin-chan

Thank you! =D
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #193 on: April 11, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »

Agnostic.

Baptized Catholic though, for what it's worth.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #194 on: April 11, 2008, 12:03:36 PM »

No.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #195 on: April 11, 2008, 06:07:19 PM »

I'm more agnostic than I used to be.  The "y'all is goin' ta hell" evangelical fundamentalist crowd has really turned me off to Christianity.. the whole "fall in line.. do as you're told, don't challenge authority, and hate everybody not like you" attitude of many Christians taints the faith.

I was sort of brought back by the Catholic priests and theologians at my university who taught a lot about God's love and that an important distinction must be made between God's word being infallible and ours being quite the contrary.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #196 on: April 11, 2008, 08:48:01 PM »

Yes I am. Have been for a really long time.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #197 on: April 11, 2008, 08:53:23 PM »

Agnostic.

Baptized Catholic though, for what it's worth.
same here, except for confirmed, too.

Most of my extended family still believes me to be Catholic. Mostly because I can't bring myself to tell the older generation of my family (grandparents, great-aunts, etc). I went through the whole confirmation process for this reason. My own sponsor knew I didn't want to be there.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #198 on: April 11, 2008, 09:20:03 PM »

Yes, I am and I do go to church most of the time.
Willy Woz
Yemen

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -5.13

« Reply #199 on: April 11, 2008, 09:38:44 PM »

Yes, I am and I do go to church most of the time.

I am having a tough time guessing what your religion is; I am guessing it's some sort of Independent Baptist; please correct me if I'm wrong.

For myself, no, I'm a dirty Catholic Wink
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies