how much did Clinton fire up the base?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:07:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  how much did Clinton fire up the base?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: how much did Clinton fire up the base?  (Read 1185 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2004, 02:32:04 AM »

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=104&topic_id=2072928

I think this says it all.
khirkhib

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2004, 02:39:17 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2004, 02:46:15 AM by khirkhib »

"They need a divided America... we don't"

and the part on getting out of vietnam and getting the tax cut.

Clinton was on fire.

oh and I loved

"Stength and wisdom are not opposing values."
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004, 02:43:14 AM »

Just look at how many times that "divided America" comment was posted!

This speech is going to go down as one of the classics. Up there with the "Cross of Gold"
freedomburns
FreedomBurns

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -8.70

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004, 03:24:52 AM »

Clinton was awesome as usual.  He was his usual greatness.  I was inspired.

But I was truly impressed and surprised by Jimmy Carter!
He totally spelled it out for us.  "The soul of America is at stake."  Sock it to 'em Jimmy!
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004, 03:36:37 AM »

Excellent speech.  Even Republicans have to admit no matter whatever they think about Clinton personally or his policies his speaking ability is amazing
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004, 07:20:21 AM »

No doubt that he was/is a good speaker.  However, as my tired eyes would reveal, I stayed up to hear the end of his speach.  Much more tame than it could have been.  However, I think Clinton comparing himself to Bush as far as not going to Vietnam might hurt Kerry's "I'm a war vet" platform, since Clinton defeated two war vets in his campaigns, and those two vets had much more time in theater than Kerry's few months.
lidaker
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: 0.88, S: -4.67

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 07:47:05 AM »

Clinton is a good speaker, but there's nothing genuine about him. What he does he does to please people. I mean, maybe it's necessary to unite the democrats and defeat Bush, but it's neither moving nor inspiring. Gore was also made a crowd pleaser, but he's not as good at it. I was more touched by the genuineness of the aged Jimmy Carter, possibly the speaker with the least oratory skills of the night.
NHPolitico

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004, 01:45:30 PM »

Just look at how many times that "divided America" comment was posted!

This speech is going to go down as one of the classics. Up there with the "Cross of Gold"

I don't know about that, but Clinton gave Kerry's speech. Kerry has to use as much of that on Thursday as he can. He has to speak to voters in that same tongue.  
Niles Caulder

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 07:43:49 PM »

I'm convinced!  He fired up the base!  But what impressed me was how well he reached out to the political center (as he always could do without many equals.)  He is indeed an innately tame advocate: it was always the shaky center he relied on to save his political skin when his base rattled in disillusionment and the opposition came brandishing the big knives.

I agree that Clinton spelled out exactly what Kerry needs to pose for.  We'll see how well he executes it.

Modu, I think perhaps you're overanalyzing the 'military service' thing to extrapolate that the electorate assosiates it with losing!  Bush Sr. and Dole's tours aren't going to penetrate the thought process of any except us junkies.  Wink  If Kerry saw some serious action...it's good enough to advertize.

I don't know about Carter's speech...it didn't strike a chord with me.  It was persuasive to an extent, but it also recalled President Carter's own bull-dogged stubborn (and ineffectual) governance of foreign policy.  To the extent he reminds people of how his idealism got in the way of his success...the speaker starts to obscure his words, however true they may be.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 09:04:42 PM »

Clinton has great speaking ability and is very convincing to the simple minded.

Of course, who didn't love the peace and prosperity of the late 1990s.  Clinton implies that this would have continued unabated had he or Gore been in office.

But the reality is that by the time Clinton left office, Al-Qaeda was poised to strike, having been emboldened by Clinton's lack of response to their earlier attacks.  And the economy was slipping into recession.

I am not a guy who blames every gyration of the economy on the president.  I think the effects of a president's economic policy is felt much more over the long term than necessarily during his term in office.  Just as LBJ and Nixon messed up the economy for their successors, other presidents such as Reagan have given their successors stronger economies.

But since Clinton is so quick to take credit for a strong economy during his term, I think it's only fair that he take the blame for a recession that he passed on to Bush.

He should also take the blame for having done absolutely nothing to protect us from the gathering threat of terrorism in the US.

People must be very simple-minded if they believe that Clinton turned everything over to Bush in perfect shape, and he messed it up.  The reality is that Clinton did virtually nothing during his second term, and the gathering mess being created by his neglect was masked by the strong economy, which was faltering by the end of his term.  He got out just in a knick of time.

Clinton spoke not to boost Kerry, but ultimately to promote his own legacy.  Bill Clinton cares about Bill Clinton.  Period.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies