09-05 Fox News Debate Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:07:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  09-05 Fox News Debate Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: 09-05 Fox News Debate Thread  (Read 6645 times)
Reluctant Republican

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2007, 09:29:22 PM »

ROFL

Did you hear that dude laughing as soon as Ron Paul was asked the question?

Aw man, that is just rude there.  That is dang funny.

They've done that at least twice. And sadly, I think that's the last thing Paul will be asked.
Saxwsylvania
Van Der Blub

« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2007, 09:30:23 PM »

He's just laughing so loud.

The next question he's asked, he should just laugh during the entire answer.  That's good TV.
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2007, 09:33:46 PM »

Ned Flanders is full of good answers.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2007, 09:40:09 PM »

Seeing Hannity and Paul argue should be fun. I hope Paul wins the voting.

Looks like the voters were underwhelmed by the debate. I actuially thought it was pretty good.
bergie72
Germany

Political Matrix
E: 4.77, S: -3.48

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2007, 09:44:10 PM »

FoxNews voting -- text your vote to 36288 (FNCTV)

R1 - Brownback   R2 - Giuliani   R3 - Huckabee   R4 - Hunter
R5 - McCain   R6 - Paul   R7 - Romney   R8 - Tancredo

Not surprisingly, I voted for Ron Paul  :-)
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2007, 09:47:48 PM »

FoxNews voting -- text your vote to 36288 (FNCTV)

R1 - Brownback   R2 - Giuliani   R3 - Huckabee   R4 - Hunter
R5 - McCain   R6 - Paul   R7 - Romney   R8 - Tancredo

Not surprisingly, I voted for Ron Paul  :-)

Get outta town!
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2007, 09:48:49 PM »

I think the debate was suppose to end at 10:30 (Eastern) but just went over.

I heard the guy laughing as well. I am thinking it has to do with the fact that Paul's answer was not going to be what Fox was looking for.

I thought this was one of the better debates as far as the candidates' performances go, but the moderators definitely favored Rudy McRomney.

And this once again serves as a reminder that Fox News does not have a conservative bias.

Fox News has a neoconservative bias.

---
(You guys posted while I was writing this.) R6 Smiley

---
www.FoxNews.com 's main page:
Breaking News >>  Giuliani: Reagan Won The Cold War Without Firing a Single Shot 
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2007, 09:50:03 PM »

Paul & Gravel should debate.

omg lolz

Rudy is so full of funnies, he should be on Last Comic Standing, not running for President!
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »

Rudy just said they should have a Ron Paul/Mike Gravel debate. What an arrogant SOB.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2007, 09:50:28 PM »

I, personally, thought John McCain did the best job.  Rudy Guiliani did the worst, because he used New York City on almost every single question.

My vote -- R5
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2007, 09:53:43 PM »

And this once again serves as a reminder that Fox News does not have a conservative bias.

Fox News has a neoconservative bias.

The neoconservative philosophy has as much legitimacy nowadays as communism.

It was tried.

It failed.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2007, 09:55:51 PM »

My rating - best to worst:

1. Huckabee
2. Hunter
3. Tancredo
4. Romney
5. McCain
6. Brownback
7. Giuliani
8. Paul
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: September 05, 2007, 10:00:12 PM »

McCain won the debate.  Huckabee was 2nd b/c of his exchange with Paul (the rest of his debate was so-so).

Both Romney and Giuliani performed poorly - Giuliani was the worst since his first debate, talking way too much about NYC and Romney had perhaps his worst night period.  He came across snarky and sniping at other candidates.

The other candidates really don't matter.  Ron Paul's remarks aren't going to get support from Republicans at present.

Thus, I agree with a lot of what Luntz' group said (for the first time, actually).  Amusingly to Luntz' group, the constant use of McCain quotes showed that he was the true leader.  I wouldn't have picked up on that, but so be it.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #63 on: September 05, 2007, 10:01:12 PM »

McCain won the debate.  Huckabee was 2nd b/c of his exchange with Paul (the rest of his debate was so-so).

Both Romney and Giuliani performed poorly - Giuliani was the worst since his first debate, talking way too much about NYC and Romney had perhaps his worst night period.  He came across snarky and sniping at other candidates.

The other candidates really don't matter.  Ron Paul's remarks aren't going to get support from Republicans at present.

Thus, I agree with a lot of what Luntz' group said (for the first time, actually).  Amusingly to Luntz' group, the constant use of McCain quotes showed that he was the true leader.  I wouldn't have picked up on that, but so be it.

Let's put it this way - I could tell you how well Tancredo, Brownback or Hunter did, but would it really make a difference.  I thought Hunter performed the best out of the three.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2007, 10:02:47 PM »

The Paul-Huckabee exchange was awesome. My opinion of Paul increased markedly.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2007, 10:10:40 PM »

I had to get a drink and missed who was speaking...

story of my life.

I don't know.  I never know who "won" and so I wouldn't be a good guest on one of those instant-analysis, short-attention-span shows which always follow both parties' debates.  I think Duncan Hunter wins the Most Partisan award.  And I think that some distinctions are starting to come into focus.  I noticed the same phenomenon evolve with the most recent Democrat debate:  there's the occasional attack-the-other-party line, but mostly they draw distinctions between themselves.  Romney is nearly, but not quite, in a position in which he has to actually outline his position on US military involvement in Iraq.  Irrelevant for me, because he lost my vote some time ago, but for his own aspirations it's good that he's being forced to take a position.  I will say that FOX news seemed to favor McCain, and panned and cast in such a way as to optimize his presence and his comments.  I've noticed this sort of thing before, both in Democrat and Republican debates, but the pro-McCain bias of FOX was particularly hard to ignore tonight.  Ultimately, I think we all come away more convinced that the guys we liked are more worth liking, and the guys we don't like just remind us why we don't like them.  (By we, I mean us junkies following the show, and not the great unwashed masses not yet paying attention.)  I'd have a hard time believing that this particular debate changed anyone's mind about any particular candidate.  I still like Paul, and I still don't like Giuliani. 
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2007, 10:11:07 PM »

Paul has 35%. Giuliani has 17%. McCain has 15%.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »

September 5th New Hampshire Republican Debate
September 5th, 2007 by inkslwc
My rating - best to worst - based on the debating skills, NOT how I feel about the candidate and his issues:

1. Huckabee - I LOVED when he just tore the crap out of Ron Paul (who is a nutjob by the way) - he came across as I believe the strongest candidate out of the 8 & very passionate
2. Hunter - He came out strong as well - again, very passionate
3. Tancredo - Another strong debate who was very passionate in the issues
4. Romney - And here’s where we get in to the mediocre candidates.  Unfortunately, Romney, my candidate (although I like all of the above 3 - especially Huckabee) didn’t really do well, although he didn’t do poorly.  In my mind, Romney, McCain, and Brownback were all sorta tied - they weren’t really active, but their debating wasn’t poor - just par.
5. McCain - again - not a bad debater, just mediocre - he had some strong points, but nothing over the top like the 1st 3
6. Brownback - again, like the last 2 - there was nothing really strong from him in my mind
7. Giuliani - “I fixed the crime in New York”, now on to Paul.  OK, a slightly exaggerated joke, but still, does he have ANYTHING else to say?  He debated poorly in my mind - he needs to move off of the fact that he was mayor and lowered crime - talk about other issues.
8. Paul - WOW!  He got torn apart by Huckabee.  I’ll see if I can (legally) get a clip of the argument - but I just loved the cheering afte Paul, and then Huckabee responded and this ROAR erupted.

9. Thompson - HE DIDN’T SHOW UP!  This really hurt him in my mind - and I liked the little bash section at the beginning!

HOW THE HECK DID PAUL WIN THE FOX POLL!!!!!
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2007, 10:12:15 PM »

Paul has 35%. Giuliani has 17%. McCain has 15%.
Hannity seemed pissed. I'm suprised though, I half expected Fox to stop counting Paul's votes at a certain percentage.
Know Your Rights!
ABAsite
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2007, 10:13:54 PM »

8. Paul - WOW!  He got torn apart by Huckabee.  I’ll see if I can (legally) get a clip of the argument - but I just loved the cheering afte Paul, and then Huckabee responded and this ROAR erupted.

HOW THE HECK DID PAUL WIN THE FOX POLL!!!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295883,00.html

Has the text of it. People like Ron Paul because they're sick of this war, and they're sick of a huge government that is failing the people it serves.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2007, 10:16:51 PM »
« Edited: September 05, 2007, 10:18:37 PM by angus »

I'd rather ask, HOW THE HECK CAN ANY AMERICAN, DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN, PICK ANY OTHER CANDIDATE OVER RON PAUL.

of course, I'd usually ask in lower case letters.  and I'd probably punctuate it with a question mark rather than several exclamation points. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2007, 10:18:32 PM »

Maybe, just maybe, more people agree with his views?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2007, 10:19:26 PM »

Fox just replayed the exchange between Huckabee and Paul and then cut off right after Huckabee said we can't lose our honor and then Paul was about to say something else. No bias.

(And I walked out the room and didn't notice that after hitting "Post" the red new post text came up so this isn't "just replayed" any more.)

Hannity after seeing Paul leading "Not this again."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2007, 10:20:49 PM »

Fox just replayed the exchange between Huckabee and Paul and then cut off right after Huckabee said we can't lose our honor and then Paul was about to say something else. No bias.

(And I walked out the room and didn't notice that after hitting "Post" the red new post text came up so this isn't "just replayed" any more.)

Hannity after seeing Paul leading "Not this again."

But in the debate, Huckabee got the last word (I dont remember what he or Paul said after the clip cut) and the crowd ROARED
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2007, 10:26:33 PM »

Yes, they roared.  They may even have been teary-eyed.  I nearly was.  Huckabee's an honorable man, and as much as he disagrees, for example, with the scorched earth John McCain, he has the decency to recognize McCain's service.  "Not losing our honor" was a great line.  And Huckabee's a great candidate, and for the life of me I can't understand why he isn't doing better.  He seems to have all the right tag lines to win over not only the traditionalists, like yourself, but also the centrists and unaffiliated and weak republicans, as for example me.  In fact, as much as I disagree with Huckabee, I come off every debate feeling warmer and fuzzier about him, as I have posted here before.  He's, along with Ron Paul, one of the few Republicans who'd probably win my vote.  You guys really ought to nominate carefully.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies