Mr. Moderate Transition Team HQ
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 29, 2024, 03:30:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mr. Moderate Transition Team HQ
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Mr. Moderate Transition Team HQ  (Read 12550 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2008, 01:01:17 AM »

Well, with a week to go until the general election officially starts, I figure it's time to start unveiling my plans to help revitalize Atlasia.

First of all, let us all realize that Atlasia is, first and foremost, an election sim.  And the level of interest in this current set of elections...well... it's disappointing to say the least.

PR-STV wasn't an unbridled success, but it was a success.  We had significantly more candidates than we had seats, and we had some of the best Atlasia had to offer run for those seats.  The main problem with electing people from the regions, I've come to realize, is that by separating Atlasia into five distinct regions, we've all but eliminated any interregional conflict: conservatives in the Southeast, moderates (mostly) in the Northeast, a PLP-minded Mideast, an ultrafriendly Midwestern pseudocult with a population in the single digits, and a Pacific region where almost everyone is a member of the JCP.  People don't want to run against incumbents they know and like on a personal level, and each region gets more homogenous by the month, so there's little ideological disagreement with each other, further reducing interest in competing for seats.

I can't say I was here for the "golden days," but I know there was a lot more competition for seats.  And that, really, is what Atlasia is all about.  That's why I'm starting to believe that we should extend PR-STV to the regional level seats.

This effectively creates two levels of Atlasia.  One set of regional governments, where partisans get to have control and create a moderate, liberal, or conservative utopia; and one federal government where there is competition for that ideological control.

Atlasia is rapidly approaching its fifth anniversary. If it is going to survive for another five years after that, it's going to need to adapt and evolve.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2008, 07:34:34 AM »

I must say that I'm opposed to this.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2008, 10:42:28 AM »

If you think that is unpopular, wait until you hear this:

Throughout this campaign, I have repeatedly ascertained that Altasia is first and foremost an election sim.  Further, I believe that one of the most important and crucial jobs of the federal government is to protect the rights of its citizenry in this area—regional governments shall not, in any way, infringe on the rights of the people to have their voices heard.

This is why recent developments in select areas of our country disturb me. The government of the Southeast has delayed passing along constitutional amendments to its people (essentially rendering their opinions moot), and the Midwest does not have a governor directly elected by its people.

For these reasons, I wish to enshrine in our constitution a statement confirming this key item that I believe: that regional governments shall not infringe on the peoples' right to hold regular elections for Governor, and that regional governments shall not infringe on the peoples' right to participate in referenda.

With regard to the Midwest, this amendment would be used to "encourage" the direct election of their Governor.  This is not meant as a slight to "Governor for Life" Ilikeverin, who would clearly have little problem winning a direct election there.  But let us realize this: If all regions went the path of the Midwest, we may as well just disband Atlasia right here and now.

I cannot say with any level of certainty that making Ilikeverin governor for life is the reason for the area's decline into single-digit population.  I can say, on a personal level, that I personally would have very little desire to participate in an election sim that doesn't actually hold elections.

With regard to the Southeast, this amendment would be used to "encourage" the timely opening of ballots.  Should their government fail to open a regularly scheduled or constitutional amendment ballot (as has been the case in the past), this new constitutional amendment would be interpreted by a Moderate administration to allow the SoFA the ability to open or close a voting booth in an "emergency" situation to protect the rights of the people of the Southeast.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2008, 02:05:02 PM »

I, on the other hand, do fully support this.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2008, 02:35:53 PM »

MR. MODERATE FOR PRESIDENT: IT'S ALL HIT-OR-MISSTM
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2008, 02:54:31 PM »

I have now made the decision to completely and fully support the Mr. Moderate campaign. Mr. Secretary and Mr. Vice President you have my full support and I wish you the best in the upcoming election.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2008, 11:16:45 PM »

- An email to the Mr Moderate mailing list -

Fellow Citizens,

I have made the decision to support Secretary Moderate for the presidency. This decision was certainly not easily made, and took a great deal of time weighing up all options.

The issue I made central in both of my presidential runs was change. But that idea of change isn't just about a new guard, or different political ideology being in charge. Change for me is about a new attitude of leadership. Mr Moderate has shown me in his work in Atlasia that he wants to bring that most crucial of changes about. He wants to lead this nation, not dictate. Like me, he wants to challenge the Atlasian people to be the masters of their own destiny, not participants in a game where they aren't informed of the rules.

Change like this isn't easy. Change like this isn't always popular.

We have two regions that are on life support, Mr Moderate has a plan to help bring these regions back as active members of this community. It will take a willingness on the part of the citizens of those regions to take up the challenge.

Regional tribalism is a big problem here, when you have a set-up where the results of any election can virtually be foretold, it's not good. Mr Moderate's deep concern for the two-layer government in this country which ends up with a partisan fifedom at the regional level and attempts at ideological perfection at the federal level, is a real one. When people consider ideology and party identity more important than getting the job done. Then serious problems can be the only result.

Many might be surprised that I'm supporting the Secretary, but I've always considered ideology to be far too overrated. I have views and opinions that do often lean strongly left. When I ran for office I always welcomed the support of people of any stripe, and often received it. Not because they agreed with me on the environment or gay rights, but because they trusted me to lead and do the right thing by all those who I served. I say this because I am putting my faith in Mr Moderate, not because I necessarily agree with him on everything, but because I feel he is the right leader for Atlasia at this time.

Best wishes.

Jack.

Jack Polnut.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2008, 11:38:09 PM »
« Edited: June 13, 2008, 11:49:29 PM by Torie »

Eloquent post Polnut. Kudos. Some of it is a bit of "inside baseball" to me, but as a possible example of some of this (and maybe not that to which you had in mind), and at the risk of making  this to seem self serving (well it probably is damn it), I have been "assured" that my little candidacy for a subsidiary office was and is "hopeless,"  from the "getgo." I don't have a problem with that personally, bit would like to believe it is not true. I would like to think there was more give and take than that, more "eclecticism" as it were.  Isn't the issue more about who one believes has the most to contribute to make our little place a better place, for us to enjoy and learn from? We shall see.
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2008, 11:54:50 PM »

Interesting ideas Mr. Moderate, as I would expect. And I support both ideas regarding the use of PR-STV voting for Regional Senatorial Elections and your proposial for the Midwest. I'm sure we'll see alot of these Angry in the Midwest Capital tonight. Do you have any other plans on unveiling policy?

Best of luck in the final week of the campaign Mr. Secretary and you have my support, which you alread know Wink.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2008, 06:07:36 AM »

Eloquent post Polnut. Kudos. Some of it is a bit of "inside baseball" to me, but as a possible example of some of this (and maybe not that to which you had in mind), and at the risk of making  this to seem self serving (well it probably is damn it), I have been "assured" that my little candidacy for a subsidiary office was and is "hopeless,"  from the "getgo." I don't have a problem with that personally, bit would like to believe it is not true. I would like to think there was more give and take than that, more "eclecticism" as it were.  Isn't the issue more about who one believes has the most to contribute to make our little place a better place, for us to enjoy and learn from? We shall see.

One would hope. You just happened to pick the one region that doesn't give a toss about any of the things you mention. In any other region you'd be a genuine contender for a seat. In the Pacific, you have to depend on the JCP leadership developing ennui for the incumbent empty suit.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2008, 04:43:21 PM »

One would hope. You just happened to pick the one region that doesn't give a toss about any of the things you mention. In any other region you'd be a genuine contender for a seat. In the Pacific, you have to depend on the JCP leadership developing ennui for the incumbent empty suit.

I'll vouch for that. But Torie has my vote (big deal).
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2008, 07:32:10 PM »

Interesting ideas Mr. Moderate, as I would expect. And I support both ideas regarding the use of PR-STV voting for Regional Senatorial Elections and your proposial for the Midwest. I'm sure we'll see alot of these Angry in the Midwest Capital tonight. Do you have any other plans on unveiling policy?

Clearly, I know my plans will be quite unpopular there in the region, and will probably cost me a first preference or two and maybe even a slew of valuable second and third preferences, but I didn't announce the policy because I thought it would be popular.  I announced it because I truly believe it's the right thing to do, and I don't want people voting for me and not understanding exactly what kind of presidency they're buying into.

And, in answer to your question, I will probably be releasing one or two more pieces of my campaign platform in the closing days of the campaign.

Best of luck in the final week of the campaign Mr. Secretary and you have my support, which you alread know Wink.

Thank you, I appreciate your vote in the Progressive Primary, I appreciate your support in the General Election, and you know I'll need your support in actually helping me get stuff done in the Senate should I actually win!  Smiley
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2008, 07:57:47 PM »

I would also like to take a moment to thank my friend AndrewCT for his heartfelt praise on behalf of my candidacy.  We both got involved in Atlasian politics in the same election, and I think we've both done quite well for ourselves since.  Smiley

I wish him the best of luck and wholeheartedly support his bid for re-election as Governor of the Northeast, along with Lt. Governor Lief.

I also want to thank former President ColinWixted for his support in this endeavor.  I greatly look forward to the opportunity to work with him again, though with our roles reversed, this time.  Smiley

And last, but certainly not least, I want to thank former Governor Polnut for his eloquent words.  We have not always been on the same side of the issues, but we have always been respectful colleagues.  I was quite surprised and humbled to receive his support, and further humbled to read his praise here.

We both have a very high opinion of Atlasia—specifically, of what Atlasia can be.  And we both firmly believe that the future of this country is worth fighting for.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #88 on: June 23, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »

Again, I do want to thank the people of Atlasia for electing me President.  Over the next couple of weeks (leading up to the innauguration), I will be announcing my cabinet members, as well as appointing a press secretary.

In the meantime, I wish to take a moment to address an area of growing concern: the Southeast.  To address these concerns, my administration will take the following steps to ensure a smooth transition of power in the critical region.

1) Expand the watchful eye of the Secretary of Forum Affairs.
This new duty will not be an official power, but more of an advisory position to the regions.  The next SoFA will be unofficially tasked with learning the regular election schedules of the five regions and ensuring that these elections are well publicized. In this way, all of Atlasia will be better able to follow the goings on of the regions.  After all, knowledge is power.  (Yo, Joe!)

(This will also be excellent preparation for my proposed constitutional amendment to allow the feds to step in and open regional voting booths in times of regional instability.) 

2) Advise new regional office holders of their duties and responsibilities.
Rather than assume that new regional office holders will figure everything out on their own, I'd like the federal government to step in (again, unofficially) and advise regional office holders of their duties, such as opening ballots, proposing and signing legislation, and filling vacancies.  This seems a relatively simple step that will do more for building healthy government than anything else.

Following the inauguration, I'll be attempting to build on this.  Revisiting the "Intro to Atlasia" thread will be a good start.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #89 on: June 23, 2008, 05:25:25 PM »

WE WANT NASO! WE WANT NASO!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #90 on: June 24, 2008, 06:38:39 AM »

Following the inauguration, I'll be attempting to build on this.  Revisiting the "Intro to Atlasia" thread will be a good start.

The Introduction to Atlasia Act mandates that each new incoming President should effectively restart the thread.

(Needless to say the current incumbent overlooked this responsibility.)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: June 27, 2008, 12:55:41 PM »

Okay, so...I suppose it's time to get things started here.

I am currently working to assemble my administration, interviewing a number of persons for the positions of SoEA, SoFA, and Attorney General.  I will not be making any firm and hard decisions until the issues of the Pacific runoff, the Southeastern runoff, and the related court case are settled.

In the meantime, the first order of business is to select a person to serve as my Press Secretary for the transition—to handle inquiries and to spin my many, many mistakes and stumbles (past, present, and future) into something awesome, plush, and cuddly.

After much thought, I have decided upon someone who is well-spoken, attuned with the political theater of the game, and in general agreement with the goals and aspirations of my admittedly controversial agenda: former Governor Jack Polnut.

Let the first slings and arrows be fired (if they haven't been launched already)!

With hugs and kisses,
Your President Elect
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #92 on: June 27, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »

Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2008, 01:20:59 PM by Mr. Moderate-Elect »

Heheheheheheh.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2008, 01:22:13 PM »

Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #95 on: June 30, 2008, 06:59:06 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

Midnight.

In the light of the present case of Inks v Sam Spade, president-elect Moderate will enact a series of reforms to make sure such cases do not come about again.

These reforms will take place in legislation and also constitutional detail.

The president-elect believes in the importance of dotting i's and crossing t's, to make sure that equity is ensured in this most important of civil responsibilities.

Jack Polnut
Transition-team Press Secretary
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #96 on: June 30, 2008, 08:35:19 PM »

I look forward to my Supreme Court appointment. Smiley
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »
« Edited: July 03, 2008, 12:41:31 PM by Mr. Moderate-Elect »

For those keeping score, my steadily building agenda:

Appointment to Secretary of Forum Affairs: To be announced.
Appointment to Secretary of External Affairs: To be announced.
Appointment to Attorney General: To be announced.

Second Amendment to the Consolidated Electoral System Reform Act
Purpose: Replaces instances of Midnight with 0001; removes references to "standard time"; defines midnight as it applies to election as the earliest moment in the day.

Amendment [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution
Purpose: Replaces instances of Midnight with 0001; removes references to "standard time".  Effectively replaces the 11th Amendment.

Amendment  [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution
Purpose: Gives the SoFA the power, in times of emergency or regional inactivity (at the President's discretion), to open and close regional voting booths.

Carbon Import Tax
Purpose: Extends the Atlasian Carbon Tax to goods manufactured abroad for sale domestically. Also subjects carbon created during import to tax.

Mass Transit Infrastructure Investment Act
Purpose: Allocate $15 billion (25% of the FY2009 Carbon Tax receipts) to new mass transit projects and upgrades throughout the regions.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2008, 04:58:05 PM »

Amendment  [to be determined] to the Atlasian Constitution
Purpose: Gives the SoFA the power, in times of emergency or regional inactivity (at the President's discretion), to open and close regional voting booths.

I am all for this amendment, when I wrote the Northeast Consitution I even included something like this, however I have problems with it being "at the President's discretion" I would prefer the Supreme Court or someone else to determine when the SoFA should have those powers.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2008, 09:45:48 PM »

For those keeping score, my steadily building agenda:

Appointment to Secretary of Forum Affairs: To be announced.
Appointment to Secretary of External Affairs: To be announced.
Appointment to Attorney General: To be announced.

Just to let everyone know, the President elect has asked me to serve all three positions. I have accepted, and will be making gporter my deputy.

Thank you for your time.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies