What would the political landscape be like if there was...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:33:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  What would the political landscape be like if there was...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What would the political landscape be like if there was...  (Read 1327 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 25, 2007, 01:40:03 PM »

no Great Depression?

Assume all other world events (save US political developments) occur as they did historically.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »

We're more free market.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 03:22:48 PM »

no Great Depression?

Assume all other world events (save US political developments) occur as they did historically.
You'll have to help me out here. No Great Depression but a World War II? How so?
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 05:49:15 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2007, 05:51:51 PM by strangeland »

no Great Depression?

the thing is that the whole world was affected by the Great Depression, not just the US. Thus if you remove the Great Depression, Hitler probably never rises to power, the British Empire is in a much better political and financial state, and the French 3rd Republic isn't as decrepit, all of which will massively affect world events all the way up to the present day.
gorkay

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 04:30:19 PM »

If there had been no Great Depression in the U.S., the long Democratic domination of American politics from the early thirties to the early fifties probably wouldn't have happened. Just as the long Republican domination of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries probably wouldn't have happened without the Civil War.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 06:54:30 PM »

no Great Depression?

You'll have to help me out here. No Great Depression but a World War II? How so?

You'll have to forgive me, I realize the Great Depression was an international event without which there would be no World War II (assuming no other particular depression occurred).

What I'm simply trying to get at is changing just that one variable...rather than doing a whole other alternate history because of the other changes that may or may not have occurred without the big one.

Perhaps I should have written the question as...

No Great Depression in the United States...you may assume, despite the origins of the GD occurring in the US, that some other depression occurs, to which the United States is somehow immune, allowing for all other world events to occur UNLESS they are directly affected by the alternate US political landscape...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies