Reps and Religion?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 04:55:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reps and Religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Reps and Religion?  (Read 3375 times)
TommyC1776
KucinichforPrez

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 24, 2007, 08:47:53 PM »

How come the Republicans use religion to deny rights to people (gays and women getting abortions).  I know that they believe what the Bible says.  Why can't religions respect everyone's right? jw.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 08:59:05 PM »

As anyone can tell from my sig, I hate the fact that Republicans feel if you're religous you need to vote with them.  I am a Democratic Catholic and I believe that God wants us to live our lives without judging others and instead devoting ourselves to their aid, which is why I am a liberal Democrat.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 01:42:35 AM »

As far as I know, gays are allowed to get abortions.  I'm sure the need for them to do so is much less though, for logistical reasons.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:51:43 AM »

As far as I know, gays are allowed to get abortions.

They weren't in South Dakota, for a little while. Sad
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2007, 01:55:03 AM »

As far as I know, gays are allowed to get abortions.

They weren't in South Dakota, for a little while. Sad

That doesn't matter, no one lives there anyway.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 08:41:04 AM »

Why do christians hate freedom?
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 08:55:35 AM »

I don't think we hate freedom; it’s more that most Christians want to push our views on others, but pushing your views on someone just makes them push them away even harder. I believe that you should state your views, in this case show them what the Bible says. After that it is between them and God, who are we to judge or even tell people what to do with their life? God gave us the will to choose our paths in life, why should we be any different?
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 08:57:28 AM »

Christianity is as worthless as Islam. Actually scratch that. all the abrahamic religions fail equally. The only difference is that Christianity's point at which it's incompatible with further technological/social change is at the 1950s level as opposed to Islam's middle ages level stoppage point.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 12:15:01 PM »

Actually, they were all limited to the middle ages...but with enlightenment, any of them can reach to the millenium. Right now, the Jewish faith is the most enlightened, but there are enlightened christians (which I include myself) and perhaps a growing handful of enlightened muslims.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 12:28:51 PM »

Islam and Enlightenment don't go together.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 12:47:29 PM »

Islam and Enlightenment don't go together.
Well, not at the moment. I have heard some promising shakes though.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 12:50:19 PM »

Islam will probably wipe itself out in a suicide war/get exterminated by every other group on the planet tired of Jihadi attacks long before we get into space in a big way. Even if Isalm survives it would be as a TINY majority of american muslims(America is the only western nation to digest its muslims).
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 12:52:53 PM »

Islam will probably wipe itself out in a suicide war/get exterminated by every other group on the planet tired of Jihadi attacks long before we get into space in a big way. Even if Isalm survives it would be as a TINY majority of american muslims(America is the only western nation to digest its muslims).

When do you think we will be in space by, we are already on the brink of many people going into space.

...and some muslim countries are beginning to warm to us due to growth and change.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 11:15:35 PM »

Because Christianity is the only right religion - and God commanded us to have some simple morals be applied to the government, so it's the government's job to push those morals on you.  Republicans believe those morals more often than Dems., so liberals get angry.

Let the angry comments begin...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 11:19:00 PM »

Because Christianity is the only right religion - and God commanded us to have some simple morals be applied to the government, so it's the government's job to push those morals on you.  Republicans believe those morals more often than Dems., so liberals get angry.

Where does God say that you must force others to follow your moral code?  To convert them?  Even if acting moral is illegal, that does not mean you will make those people believe and save their souls.

And how would you feel if Christianity was the minority religion, and the majority was persecuting you because practicing Christianity is "immoral"?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2007, 11:21:10 PM »

Where does God say that you must force others to follow your moral code?  To convert them?  Even if acting moral is illegal, that does not mean you will make those people believe and save their souls.

And how would you feel if Christianity was the minority religion, and the majority was persecuting you because practicing Christianity is "immoral"?

Not all my moral codes - but basic ones - a good government is one that follows God's code - it says that.  No murder (abortion), gay marriage - but tithing is not a government regulated authority.

Even if Christianity were the minority religion, it's still the only right religion.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2007, 11:22:51 PM »

Not all my moral codes - but basic ones - a good government is one that follows God's code - it says that.  No murder (abortion), gay marriage - but tithing is not a government regulated authority.

That's not really a basic moral code.  That's actually a series of very specific interpretations of old codes, that weren't basic to begin with.  Are you making a religious argument against taxation in your last sentence?

Even if Christianity were the minority religion, it's still the only right religion.

But you wouldn't object, because they are in the majority, and that entitles them to force their religion on you?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2007, 11:25:37 PM »

That's not really a basic moral code.  That's actually a series of very specific interpretations of old codes, that weren't basic to begin with.  Are you making a religious argument against taxation in your last sentence?

STRAWMAN!

Jesus himself told his disciples that it was Caeser's right to tax the people (and really duty, so that the gov't can function).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But you wouldn't object, because they are in the majority, and that entitles them to force their religion on you?
[/quote]

I'd object because I'm right and they're wrong.  But I may not be able to physically stop them.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2007, 11:28:01 PM »

What there's a strawman?  I just argued with you about the baseness of the codes.  Then I asked you a question.  I don't see where there was a strawman.

Jesus himself told his disciples that it was Caeser's right to tax the people (and really duty, so that the gov't can function).

OK.

I'd object because I'm right and they're wrong.  But I may not be able to physically stop them.

Fair enough.  I disagree, and find your beliefs a dangerous intrusion on my own, but that's rational.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2007, 11:29:31 PM »

What there's a strawman?  I just argued with you about the baseness of the codes.  Then I asked you a question.  I don't see where there was a strawman.

Fair enough.

It's a strawman b/c you tried to take a command to tithe to mean that the gov't should make you pay taxes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2007, 11:31:29 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2007, 11:34:11 PM by Alcon »

It's a strawman b/c you tried to take a command to tithe to mean that the gov't should make you pay taxes.

I wasn't arguing that...

I was actually asking a question.  I don't really know what a "command to tithe" is, in the Biblical sense.  My Biblical knowledge is deeply lacking.

I couldn't defend, or oppose, taxes (or anything) based on Biblical knowledge if my life depended on it.  And why would I?  I'm not a Christian, after all... Tongue
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2007, 11:33:47 PM »

I wasn't arguing that...

I was actually asking a question.  I don't really know what a "command to tithe" is, in the Biblical sense.  My Biblical knowledge is deeply lacking.

I couldn't defend, or oppose, taxes (or anything) based on Biblical knowledge if my life depended on it.

My apologies - I just figured somebody as smart as you was somewhat versed Biblically - (I know that sounds mean and sarcastic, but it's not meant to be - I'm just trying to explain what happened in my mind - so again, my apologies for the misunderstanding).
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2007, 11:35:45 PM »

My apologies - I just figured somebody as smart as you was somewhat versed Biblically - (I know that sounds mean and sarcastic, but it's not meant to be - I'm just trying to explain what happened in my mind - so again, my apologies for the misunderstanding).

No, no.  I know it's shameful (thanks, btw Smiley).  I really should know more, but I don't.  Few people I know do, but still...it's shameful.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2007, 12:27:21 AM »

You must not be aware of the War on Christmas.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2007, 05:41:10 AM »

Please do not clutter up the forum with your useless assertions of personal preference, Inks.  There cannot be any objective morality, as evidenced by the fact that while you like christianity, I dislike it.

The only thing that matters is who has the gun, Inks old boy.  Right now you religious have it.. better hope it stays that way.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies