Ireland General Discussion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 10:19:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ireland General Discussion (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Ireland General Discussion  (Read 280047 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« on: June 30, 2010, 12:43:47 PM »

I had a post all prepared about the hunting bill hilarity, but BRTD convinced me that Ireland was fascist police state, so I reckon I'd probably be taken out and shot by the Swiss Guard if I expressed an opinion.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:04:00 AM »

In other news, the Dáil passed the Civil Partnership Bill, legally recognising same-sex relationships. All of the parties supported it, although AFAIK a few individuals have criticised it.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:39:48 AM »

In other news, the Dáil passed the Civil Partnership Bill, legally recognising same-sex relationships. All of the parties supported it, although AFAIK a few individuals have criticised it.
This could not possibly be. Ireland is a Catholic Conservative Fascist dictatorship.

All the TDs who expressed support of the bill were summarily executed by the Papal secret police shortly after.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »

This happened without controversy in Ireland of all places? Interesting.

Ireland's really not as "conservative", in the American sense, as people like BRTD would have you believe.

I mean, if this bill was about abortion, there'd be huge controversy, but no-one cares if people want to get married.

Of course, there was a gaggle of people from shrieking right-wing nutjob organisation Cóir protesting, but no-one takes them very seriously.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »
« Edited: September 21, 2010, 07:59:24 AM by Governor Oakvale »

There's a Red C poll due out on Sunday, AFAIK, and I wouldn't be surprised if FF hit a new low - although I agree that they're probably close to their floor as is.

The more interesting question is how Labour and Fine Gael are doing - I wouldn't expect a repeat of the Irish Times poll showing Labour in first place, but I wouldn't rule it out, either.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 04:58:15 PM »
« Edited: September 23, 2010, 05:00:07 PM by Governor Oakvale »

Just for the sake of it, TV3 did a poll yesterday. I'm not sure if they're especially reliable, but hey, it'll give us something to compare the Red C (and, apparently Irish Times) polls to.

Here's the results on sometimes-horrible-sometimes-half-decent site politics.ie -

http://www.politics.ie/current-affairs/138851-tv3-news-fianna-fail-22-fine-gael-30-labour-35-sf-4-grn-2-ind-8-a.html

Labour - 35,
Fine Gael - 30,
Fianna Fáil - 22,
Independent - 8,
Sinn Féin - 4,
Green - 2

Summary - Labour doing very well, still. Most noticeably, Gilmore holds a pretty impressive lead on the "preferred Taoiseach" question. The "garglegate" fiasco hasn't much changed people's opinion of Cowen. All somewhat predictable.

EDIT: More specifically, the interview controversy only bothered people who didn't like Cowen anyway. Mind you, that's most of the population so...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 07:22:02 AM »

The Red C poll's out, with some depressing  results that are quite different from what other pollsters have been showing -

Fine Gael 31, (-2)
Fianna Fáil 24, (no change)
Labour 23, (-4)
Sinn Féin 10, (+2)
Green 3, (+1)
Others 9, (+3)

I'm fairly sceptical of this, to be honest - and that's not just because I'm a disheartened Labour supporter. Tongue

It's the first poll in a while showing FF out of third place, and, more to the point, contradicts fairly drastically with the TV3 poll released earlier this week.

Hopefully there'll be an Irish Times/MRBI poll soon which should clear up the confusion somewhat. AFAIK, they've got the best track record.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 07:29:21 AM »

Oh, and South Tipperary's Mattie McGrath - who lost the FF whip over the stag-hunting bill - has  withdrawn his support over health cuts.

The government's now got a hilariously thin majority of 2.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 09:15:04 AM »

If this was any other political party, I'd be certain that Kenny was doomed. But it's Fine Gael, and I've assumed Kenny was a goner after the George Lee resignation, and after the previous MRBI poll, and the powerful gombeen wing of Fine Gael seem intent on sticking with Kenny.

But still, this result really is disastrous for FG, so it might be what finally topples Enda. Smiley

More importantly, since MRBI have a sterling reputation this seems to confirm the results of the TV3/Lansdowne poll, and indicates that Red C results seem to have been something of a blip. Or a "rogue" poll, if you prefer.

Another thing about removing Kenny - who'd replace him? I don't know if Bruton would try again, and it's not like Fine Gael are going to go with Varadkar or someone else who's actually interesting...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 09:29:46 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2010, 09:56:20 AM by Governor Oakvale »

BTW, if anyone wants a chuckle, check out Paul Gogarty's (he of "f*** you, Deputy Stagg" fame) Twitter, where he's currently having some kind of meltdown. I don't blame him, though, since presumably he knows he's going to lose his seat at the next election.

http://twitter.com/paulgogartytd
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 09:59:27 AM »

If this was any other political party, I'd be certain that Kenny was doomed. But it's Fine Gael, and I've assumed Kenny was a goner after the George Lee resignation, and after the previous MRBI poll, and the powerful gombeen wing of Fine Gael seem intent on sticking with Kenny.

But still, this result really is disastrous for FG, so it might be what finally topples Enda. Smiley

If wishing made it so.

I suspect Enda is saved by the fact that the poll is getting only a fraction of the attention it would normally get because of (i) the release of 2 other polls just days ago, but most importantly (ii) the much bigger story of the assessment of bank liabilities today - that's where the focus is.

You're probably right - Kenny's most likely safe for now, but if polls in the next few months are anything like this I'd imagine he'll be coaxed into 'stepping aside', as they say.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bruton or bust (i.e. keep Enda) methinks.
[/quote]

Brian Hayes occured to me, but... meh.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 05:20:43 PM »

Thanks, I learned a new word today!

Gombeen is a wonderful word.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 10:34:50 AM »

The Government response is that they are studying the decision.

For those of you who haven't noticed, this is the government's response to everything. Wink
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2010, 08:49:55 AM by Governor Oakvale »

FWIW, the first poll's out, by Red C, showing Sinn Féin's Doherty leading easily.

To no-one's surprise, Labour's Eamon Gilmore is the most popular choice for Taoiseach, which is what national polling's been saying for ages now.

Here's some of the commentary on the poll relating to a general election:

EDIT: It's really impossible to stress enough how bad this result is for Fianna Fáil. If this is how they're polling in Donegal, they're going to get electorally curbstomped nationally.

It's obviously a great result for both Sinn Féin and Labour, too - the polling indicates that Doherty would easily retain the seat at a general election, and that Frank McBrearty would win a seat with 18%.

This might not seem hugely impressive, but Labour got 2.8% (!) in DSW last time around. Most hilariously, if the general elections figures are replicated next year, Mary Coughlan could quite possibly lose her seat.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:49 AM »

I for one welcome our new EU/IMF overlords.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2010, 11:36:16 AM »
« Edited: November 20, 2010, 11:40:56 AM by Governor Oakvale »

There's a Red C national poll coming out tomorrow which will apparently have FF support falling further.

Mind you, I don't put a whole lot of stock in Red C, as much as I'd like to believe that DSW poll. Wait for the Irish Times/MRBI - one's due soon, surely - which is really the gold standard as far as Irish polling goes.

EDIT: Not that Red C polls are bad, per se, but they were kind of outlier-y (...) earlier this year in comparison to the MRBI and Lansdowne polls.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 05:17:32 PM »

Excuse my ignorance of Irish politics, but Fine Gael-Labour coalition post-election?

Or Labour-Fine Gael, quite possibly.

In a more unlikely scenario where things go really well for Gilmore et al you could have some kind of left-wing coalition of Labour+SF+Independents, but, yeah, either FG-LAB or vice versa.

AFAIK there are rumours that Fine Gael or Labour will propose such tomorrow or in the next couple of days, but nothing's certain.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »

I'm inclined to blame Labour's relatively poor result on -

A) Uh, it's Frank McBrearty. Although to be fair I doubt the Labour bench is very strong in Donegal.

B) More "left"-leaning and ex-FF voters flocking to the stronger candidate (Doherty, obviously).

[/spin]

I notice that O' Neill's polling somewhat better than predicted, incidentally.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2010, 04:41:07 PM »

Someone (not me) threw together this handy chart:

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 10:49:14 AM »
« Edited: November 30, 2010, 11:30:23 AM by Governor Oakvale »

The state of the nation summarised for your convenience:

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »

The state of the nation summarised for your convenience:

Account for domain wheelspinninghamsterdead has been suspended.

Fixed.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »

New RedC poll...

FG 32, Labour 24, SF 16, FF 13

I wish Red C had waited a couple of weeks- the Sinn Féin surge is likely down to the massive good publicity they got from the DSW election. I don't see them holding at 16%.

That said, seeing Fianna Fáil in fourth place is hilarious.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2011, 02:04:37 PM »

If Paddy Power is to be believed, it looks like Ireland may elect a Gay president.

I'll get my coat.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »

This is great fun.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 01:57:23 PM »

Really obscene news out of Galway. I'm hoping against hope that this might be the impetus for an Irish government to actually do something about our genuinely disgraceful abortion laws, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they kick the can down the road, again.

"This is a Catholic country". There are no words.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies