Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 06:09:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Should the US have language laws similar to Quebec?  (Read 6418 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2008, 12:52:09 AM »

I've always wondered why you can CC English channels into Spanish but you can't do so with Spanish channels.

Because if you want to watch TV in English, you already have hundreds of other channels, so there's not enough demand for CC in the only two channels that aren't in English to get it put on.

I actually do sometimes watch those cheesy soap operas on Telemundo just because the women on the are so hot even though they look like they'd be pretty dumb even if I could understand what they were saying.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2008, 12:57:11 AM »

I've always wondered why you can CC English channels into Spanish but you can't do so with Spanish channels.

Because if you want to watch TV in English, you already have hundreds of other channels, so there's not enough demand for CC in the only two channels that aren't in English to get it put on.

I actually do sometimes watch those cheesy soap operas on Telemundo just because the women on the are so hot even though they look like they'd be pretty dumb even if I could understand what they were saying.

Maybe only two channels in Minnesota.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »

Well I doubt anywhere anyone is seriously kept up at night freaking out that they are unable to watch cheesy South American soap operas in English captioning and thus demanding that such captioning be provided. If enough people did care that much, it would happen. It's all part of the market laws of supply and demand, I thought you conservatives loved the free market so much?
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2008, 01:06:50 AM »

Well I doubt anywhere anyone is seriously kept up at night freaking out that they are unable to watch cheesy South American soap operas in English captioning and thus demanding that such captioning be provided. If enough people did care that much, it would happen. It's all part of the market laws of supply and demand, I thought you conservatives loved the free market so much?

Roll Eyes Jesus, you can turn any stupid question into a complete political hack job. You're like the epitome of strawman.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2008, 01:12:08 AM »

Roll Eyes Jesus, you can turn any stupid question into a complete political hack job. You're like the epitome of strawman.

The things that Kevin, constine and the other conservatives are advocating here aren't exactly very pro-free market or pro-business. Is outlawing advertising in Spanish (Which DWTL has advocated) a pro-free market position? Or forcing restaurants to list the names of their dishes on menus in English (advocated in THIS VERY THREAD.)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2008, 01:18:24 AM »

No. Of Course not. I would like to think America isn't as paranoid as Quebec as regards language issues. At least Quebec has an excuse (still o/c doesn't justify this).

I assume these laws would also apply to Native American Languages and reservations aswell?

I was tempted to gloat with another "LOLZ LOOK AT IGNORANT GULLY FOYLE" post but I'll be mature this time.

I used to live on a Reservation. You'd have a tough time finding anything public written in Sioux. Not surprising considering I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the population could speak it in any serious manner (by that I mean knowing enough to actually engage in even simplistic communication and not just a few words or phrases for novelty value.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2008, 02:33:33 AM »

No.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 04:01:32 AM »

No. Of Course not. I would like to think America isn't as paranoid as Quebec as regards language issues. At least Quebec has an excuse (still o/c doesn't justify this).

I assume these laws would also apply to Native American Languages and reservations aswell?

I was tempted to gloat with another "LOLZ LOOK AT IGNORANT GULLY FOYLE" post but I'll be mature this time.

I used to live on a Reservation. You'd have a tough time finding anything public written in Sioux. Not surprising considering I'd be surprised if more than 20% of the population could speak it in any serious manner (by that I mean knowing enough to actually engage in even simplistic communication and not just a few words or phrases for novelty value.)

Actually I asked that because of a case I read about six months of an Apache reservation in Arizona which has a radio station which broadcasts in Apache. I think the Navajo do aswell. Just sayin'.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 12:43:51 PM »

Yes, some tribes have held on to their dying culture a little better than others.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 01:11:54 PM »

You guys can have Quebec.  We have no use for it. Tongue

We don't either.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2008, 04:15:03 PM »

Of course not. Some of you xenophobes really need to come meet some of the second and third generation mexicans here in southern california. I literally know more spanish than my mexican roommate for example. I do think we should keep english as the primary language in education. Once you change that things will go insane.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2008, 05:47:34 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2008, 05:49:09 PM by 24 DuPont Chevy »

While I think businesses should take the intiative themselves, not surprisingly BRTD has blown my views out of proportion.

I think that issues dealing with the government should be in English only.  There is no reason why the government should cater to other languages.  If businesses want to advertise in Spanish, let them.  I personally would probably not do business there and would encourage others to do the same, but I would not sanction the government cutting off that right.  I agree with only half-heartedly agree with Lonegan's stance (which is where I am assuming you derive my opinions from that discussion), I think he had the right idea but took the wrong means of correcting it.

To have a law like this would be ridiculous for the English Only movement as well.  Its sort of like how Roe v. Wade jumpstarted the pro-life movement, creating an unnecessary and most likely uninforced measure like this would only motivate the "we moved to your country but don't have the decency to adapt" crowd. 

The last thing I would want to see is laws like this.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2008, 09:56:46 PM »

Hell no.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to: