PA 2010
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:10:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA 2010
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA 2010  (Read 3530 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 07, 2007, 03:20:28 PM »

Yes, we're over three years away but the candidates are already starting to come forward. 2010 will be an interesting year here - an open Governor spot and a hot U.S. Senate race - so it's not odd that things are starting up this early.

The recent big news is that Bob Mellow, the State Senate Dem leader, is seriously considering a run but it's now looking like it's likely to happen - http://www.postgazette.com/pg/07219/807566-100.stm

He's from the Scranton area. This guy is the definition of a weak candidate - he's old, has a bad temper and is only a State Senator (meaning very little name recognition even though he is the Dem leader). The GOP is very likely to win if he is nominated.

County Executive Cunningham is tricky. He comes from a very interesting area - the Lehigh Valley. That could be key in swinging the election to the Dems. I don't know much else about him though. This could be a tough race for the GOP if he is nominated.

County Executive Dan Onorato and Auditor General Jack Wagner are the candidates from out west. Onorato could be a strong candidate (a young guy) but Wagner is...blah. Onorato would give the GOP a good run. Wagner doesn't have much to him - former State Senator, 2002 Lt. Governor candidate (Casey's "running mate." He came in second) and now Auditor General. He'll be re-elected next year. He, like Mellow, is an older guy and not exciting at all. The GOP would probably be favored in a race against Wagner though his politics fit the state well.

Now for the Republicans - Attorney General Tom Corbett (who will face a tough re-election fight next year), former Congressman Pat Toomey, former Lt. Governor Bill Scranton and U.S. Attorney Pat Meehan.

Corbett - Might lose next year. He has a reputation for being quite the partisan.

Toomey - I don't see him doing it. I want/think a rematch with Specter is more likely.

Scranton - He's been staying involved so he's probably going to run. Not a strong candidate.

Meehan - Might run for Congress next year. If he does and gets elected, he won't run for Governor as a one term Congressman. If he doesn't run, he'll definetley look into a race for Governor in 2010. He'd be a strong candidate - conservative, law and order type of candidate from SE PA (appeals to swing voters down here yet satisfies the base).

There are a few others considering a run and they'd make things very interesting. Look for two hard fought primaries on both sides but the GOP primary will likely be a bigger deal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 06:36:41 PM »

And belief that the GOP state committee might decide against endorsing in the primary - http://www.thetimes-tribune.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18675962&BRD=2185&PAG=461&dept_id=416046&rfi=6
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007, 01:28:16 AM »

Im still holding on to my hope that Joe Hoeffel will run. I dont care what happens, Im closing my eyes and saying "LALALALALA" and pretending he's running. Tongue
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »

Any chance Castor throws his hat in the ring?

And Mellow would be a joke. He had his hands all over the pay raise and would get blown out in any primary. I lol'd when I read that in the Times Leader.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2007, 01:13:26 PM »

Any chance Castor throws his hat in the ring?

I think he will definetley consider it. He's running for County Commissioner this year and is very likely to be the top vote getter. Hopefully he stays out because I am rooting for someone else from SE PA.  Wink

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I don't know about being blown out in the primary. The man has establishment backing and if both Wagner and Onorato run, there is a serious chance that a split in the western PA vote which would greatly help Mellow.

There's another Dem considering a run from the eastern part of the state and we all know this guy - Tom Knox for Governor (or Senator) in 2010? - http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20070810_Clout___OK__so_not_mayor__How_bout_Sen__Knox_.html
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 01:30:57 PM »

Talk about insanity...

I can't belive...no, wait, I can believe this because she is crazy...

www.grassrootspa.com

Knoll Eyes 2010 Gov Run
Al Neri’s The Insider (subscription):

Sources close to Lt. Gov. Catherine Baker Knoll say she wants to run for governor.

And then, the world stopped.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 02:44:42 PM »

Hahaha
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 02:06:48 AM »

No.....nonononononono....Oh lord no! Not CBK! Oh we gotta get someone stronger than her in the Democratic Primary. Anybody that can beat her. Knoll in the Governor's Mansion? What a horrible nightmare.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:33:21 AM »

No.....nonononononono....Oh lord no! Not CBK! Oh we gotta get someone stronger than her in the Democratic Primary. Anybody that can beat her. Knoll in the Governor's Mansion? What a horrible nightmare.

It would be hilarious. It would be a real win-win for the GOP (since Knoll satisfies us for laughs and is conservative).
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 09:09:59 PM »

It would be hilarious. It would be a real win-win for the GOP (since Knoll satisfies us for laughs and is conservative).

I wish people knew how truly nuts (and conservative) she really is.  I'd actually vote for Bill Scranton if it was a race between CBK and her.  That said I could not see CBK running.  She'd get trounced in the primary unless Rendell backs her.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 10:13:52 PM »

said I could not see CBK running.  She'd get trounced in the primary unless Rendell backs her.

Remember how she was supposed to be trounced last year when people were talking about how Rendell truly wanted her off the ticket? He stood by her nominally. That's it. People underestimate her (though I'm not saying that she'd win).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 11:54:32 PM »

General article about the possibile candidates in 2010...but Speedy should read this one to find out what the last two paragraphs says  Wink  -  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07224/808855-178.stm

Interesting note about Wagner - The idea of him running for the Senate was brought up. This may happen if the Dems are divided going into 2010. It would be a party compromise. If this was to happen, the Dems would have a socially conservative Dem challenging a liberal Republican. Wagner could attract significant conservative Republican support. As pointed out in the article, Wagner is in the mold of Casey (Wagner happened to be Casey's unofficial running mate in the 2002 primary but he narrowly lost to CBK). Wagner as a Senate candidate sets up a very interesting General but an even more interesting primary - Schwartz vs. Wagner. Talk about a fight...
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 07:38:16 PM »

General article about the possibile candidates in 2010...but Speedy should read this one to find out what the last two paragraphs says  Wink  -  http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07224/808855-178.stm

Interesting note about Wagner - The idea of him running for the Senate was brought up. This may happen if the Dems are divided going into 2010. It would be a party compromise. If this was to happen, the Dems would have a socially conservative Dem challenging a liberal Republican. Wagner could attract significant conservative Republican support. As pointed out in the article, Wagner is in the mold of Casey (Wagner happened to be Casey's unofficial running mate in the 2002 primary but he narrowly lost to CBK). Wagner as a Senate candidate sets up a very interesting General but an even more interesting primary - Schwartz vs. Wagner. Talk about a fight...

I think Schwartz would beat Wagner, but I'd have to see a divisive race.  I'm also afraid Schwartz would be Joe Hoeffel-like cannon fodder if Specter decides to run again.  I could also see a conservative primary challenger for Specter.  As for me, I'd likely vote Specter in a Specter-Wagner scenario, but my vote is up for debate there.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 08:56:34 PM »

I think Schwartz would beat Wagner, but I'd have to see a divisive race.  I'm also afraid Schwartz would be Joe Hoeffel-like cannon fodder if Specter decides to run again.  I could also see a conservative primary challenger for Specter.  As for me, I'd likely vote Specter in a Specter-Wagner scenario, but my vote is up for debate there.

I agree with everything you said except I'd strongly consider voting for Wagner (unless control of the Senate was up in the air). My real problem with him, though, is that he is a Casey man.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 09:46:08 PM »

Sweet! Its draft Hoeffel time! (always good to get a good start Wink)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 09:50:19 PM »

If that clown is elected Commissioner this fall (which is likely. If he can't even get a spot as the minority member then he is a certifiable loser), he'll probably consider running.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 10:12:44 PM »

If that clown is elected Commissioner this fall (which is likely. If he can't even get a spot as the minority member then he is a certifiable loser), he'll probably consider running.

Cry Cry Cry
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 10:31:14 PM »

I really hope Toomey runs for the senate again. I don't know if he could win the primary though, and if he loses again, I don't think he's try a third time, which saddens me. But I'd love to see Specter beaten by him, it would fill me with much pleasure.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 10:36:58 PM »

I really hope Toomey runs for the senate again. I don't know if he could win the primary though, and if he loses again, I don't think he's try a third time, which saddens me. But I'd love to see Specter beaten by him, it would fill me with much pleasure.

Are you being serious? I thought you were a moderate to liberal Republican, figuring you'd like Specter.

Great to see you on the right side.  Smiley  I agree that he should run for the Senate again, not Governor.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2007, 10:44:12 PM »

Are you being serious? I thought you were a moderate to liberal Republican, figuring you'd like Specter.

Great to see you on the right side.  Smiley  I agree that he should run for the Senate again, not Governor.

Nah, I consider myself mainly Libertarian in political leanings, but I’ve always had an intense dislike for Specter. Besides, I like to see new blood in the senate every once in awhile, as I don’t believe that many of these elderly politicians understand a lot of today’s issues. I also supported Santorum in 2006, But that was more of a protest vote because Casey really did not seem to have a plan to do anything, and he seems to be proving me correct in that regard, ha.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2007, 10:52:24 PM »

I also supported Santorum in 2006, But that was more of a protest vote because Casey really did not seem to have a plan to do anything, and he seems to be proving me correct in that regard, ha.

God bless you. Let's hope that PA sees it that way.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2007, 11:13:39 PM »

I also supported Santorum in 2006, But that was more of a protest vote because Casey really did not seem to have a plan to do anything, and he seems to be proving me correct in that regard, ha.

Lets all hope. Maybe if we close our eyes and wish reeeeaaaallllyyyy hard.....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2007, 11:35:34 PM »

Or you guys could primary him.  Smiley
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2007, 11:53:39 PM »

Or you guys could primary him.  Smiley
I wonder if Ill be old by then........... Wink Just kidding. I know I wont be, and Id do worse than Pennachio. -_- Maybe Knoll? Cheesy
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies