Who has a better chance of becoming governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:28:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Who has a better chance of becoming governor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Who has a better chance of becoming governor?  (Read 1901 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 12, 2007, 08:02:59 AM »

John Eaves or John Murphy?

I say Murphy only because he at least has a shot in the general, his downfall would be having to get through a primary.
Conan
conan

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »

Eaves
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 08:47:48 AM »

Eaves, but only if he runs again in 2011.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 09:57:24 AM »

Any particular reason or just a blanket "Republicans will never win in NJ statement", because last time I checked MS seems to have the same problems toward Dems.  Only difference is Murphy is a GOP rising star and Eaves is like a 5th tier candidate they pulled out because no one else wanted to run
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »

As the NJ GOP proved in 2002, they don't actually nominate people who can win. There are some signs that Diane Allen might even get booted from the State Senate this year; sad.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2007, 10:40:16 AM »

As the NJ GOP proved in 2002, they don't actually nominate people who can win. There are some signs that Diane Allen might even get booted from the State Senate this year; sad.

Diane Allen to be booted from the State Senate?  What planet is this?

Certainly not by the inept Rich Dennison.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2007, 10:42:12 AM »

He received 1.5 times as many votes in the Democratic primary than she did in the Republican primary. For two uncontested primaries, that's usually a sign of weakness for the incumbent. I don't doubt that she is the better Senator, but the increasingly-Democratic 7th might dump her for partisan reasons.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 03:54:47 PM »

He received 1.5 times as many votes in the Democratic primary than she did in the Republican primary. For two uncontested primaries, that's usually a sign of weakness for the incumbent. I don't doubt that she is the better Senator, but the increasingly-Democratic 7th might dump her for partisan reasons.

It's a sign of an incredibly Democratic district—which, by the way, it has been since she first won in 1995.  The thing went, like, what, 66–33 for Al Gore?

The fact that 3,863 Democrats showed up to pull the Dennison lever means nothing.  Especially if you consider that 4,894 Democrats showed up to pull the Diane F. Gabriel lever in 2003.  (In case you're wondering 'Who?', Gabriel was the sacrificial lamb who lost to Allen in a landslide.)

Democrats should be much more worried about losing a seat to Propp in the 7th than Republicans need be that Allen will lose hers.
Conan
conan

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 04:32:35 PM »

Any particular reason or just a blanket "Republicans will never win in NJ statement", because last time I checked MS seems to have the same problems toward Dems.  Only difference is Murphy is a GOP rising star and Eaves is like a 5th tier candidate they pulled out because no one else wanted to run
Don't kid yourself with imaginary statements you think I made. I believe republicans can win in NJ. However, their next chance is in 2013 for governor or 2012 for senate. Also, as one would note, democrats hold statewide offices in MS and at least one chamber, IIRC, of the legislature. Also, Murphy isn't anyone right now.
Conan
conan

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 04:33:58 PM »

It's a sign of an incredibly Democratic district—which, by the way, it has been since she first won in 1995.  The thing went, like, what, 66–33 for Al Gore?

The fact that 3,863 Democrats showed up to pull the Dennison lever means nothing.  Especially if you consider that 4,894 Democrats showed up to pull the Diane F. Gabriel lever in 2003.  (In case you're wondering 'Who?', Gabriel was the sacrificial lamb who lost to Allen in a landslide.)

Democrats should be much more worried about losing a seat to Propp in the 7th than Republicans need be that Allen will lose hers.
And this is coming from the person who thinks Bodine has no shot?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 04:59:44 PM »

Indeed, though certainly PoliticsNJ backs me on this one.  I'm not bullish at all on GOP chances in NJ this year, but I do think that Republicans are more likely to get a pick-up in 7 than Democrats are.

Most likely, though, there will be no net change here.  Dennison will miss by a mile while Propp misses somewhat narrowly, like the GOP slate in 2003.
Conan
conan

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 05:24:38 PM »

Indeed, though certainly PoliticsNJ backs me on this one.  I'm not bullish at all on GOP chances in NJ this year, but I do think that Republicans are more likely to get a pick-up in 7 than Democrats are.

Most likely, though, there will be no net change here.  Dennison will miss by a mile while Propp misses somewhat narrowly, like the GOP slate in 2003.
Well it's obvious that Dennison looks like he's going to lose. However, Politics NJ seems to think that Bodine's district is in play and agrees this one isn't.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 05:33:13 PM »

Eaves is like a 5th tier candidate they pulled out because no one else wanted to run

Not true at all...Eaves is well known for being a trial lawyer and was well known to be planning on running for governor as long ago as 2005.  He is a second tier candidate (our first tier candidates like Mike Moore and Ray Mabus chickened out), but he's not just some random guy...
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:32:42 PM »

Barbour (R) 53%
Some Random Guy (D) 47%

Barbour (R) 58%
Eaves (D) 42%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: