People's Referendum Amendment [Failed]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:31:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  People's Referendum Amendment [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: People's Referendum Amendment [Failed]  (Read 8502 times)
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 17, 2007, 11:12:55 AM »

Nay
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #76 on: August 17, 2007, 12:54:52 PM »

Nay
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #77 on: August 17, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »

Aye
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #78 on: August 17, 2007, 06:39:04 PM »

Aye.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #79 on: August 17, 2007, 07:51:41 PM »

Nay
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #80 on: August 17, 2007, 08:07:32 PM »

Nay
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2007, 08:20:31 PM »

This bill has enough votes to fail.  Senators now have 24 hours to change their votes.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2007, 07:57:10 AM »

Nay, I stated what I wanted to happen to vote for this bill (as did Sam) and few were willing to budge
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2007, 10:04:44 AM »

This measure would have presented an opportunity to promote active citizenship, to promote interest in government and increase activity and political campaigning among the general populus.

It seems some castigated this as rather than any of the above, an attempt to undermine the Senate. Some felt that this would have fatally undercut the productiveness of government. I believe such claims to have been illjudged and fail to see the potential benefits this scheme offered.

I thank the District 5 and Pacific Senators for their support of this measure - it has been noted and appreciated. I sincerely hope to see the Senators who opposed this amendment produce ideas to help bolster political involvement and interest outside of this chamber.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2007, 10:11:42 AM »

I might have voted for the original Amendment (despite my misgivings about that style of politics, the possibility of more involvement from the population as a whole might, just might, have been able to swing my vote. Not that it would have mattered), but I'm not voting for a piece Regional Fetish legislation.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »

I might have voted for the original Amendment (despite my misgivings about that style of politics, the possibility of more involvement from the population as a whole might, just might, have been able to swing my vote. Not that it would have mattered), but I'm not voting for a piece Regional Fetish legislation.

Whilest we've seen a rise in population recently, we still see a continuous decline in regional activity. This game profits from activity and interest at that level. Without it the only forum for political activity is effectively this very body. The regions are particularly important to introducing newbies into Atlasia's political life and also at maintaining interest and activity amongst the population as a whole between federal elections.

Providing an extra outlet for regional activity through this measure was never going to be a panacea for regional decline, but it could certainly have helped. I am genuinely disappointed that so many Senators chose to ignore the potential benefits and focus instead on diluting the measure of any worth before voting against it.

Finally, I would also say that every Senator's vote matters. Further, there are certain leading voices in this Senate whose vote matters even more within the Senate's blocs. I needn't tell you that your vote is influential for other members of the left.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #86 on: August 18, 2007, 11:34:01 AM »

Whilest we've seen a rise in population recently, we still see a continuous decline in regional activity.

True. And not a surprise. Regional politics reminds me of the sort of petty politics seen between small businesses on the chambers of commerce (or other such bodies) in small towns. That people aren't too keen to get involved with that sort of thing should be no surprise.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I disagree with this. It might be what the regions should be doing (and, incidentally, I'm as much in favour of devolution (in theory) in Atlasia as I am in the real world) but it's certainly not what they actually are doing... in practice the main role of the regions seems to be to act as a block to almost all reform. I don't see why giving the regions even more power in that area (they have far too much already) helps anything.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #87 on: August 18, 2007, 10:45:10 PM »

With 2 votes in favor, 6 against and 2 not voting, this legislation has failed.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2007, 03:16:18 PM »

Nay, for the record.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2007, 04:19:29 AM »

Aye ftr.