Decriminalization of LSD Bill [Passed/Vetoed/Withdrawn]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:31:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Decriminalization of LSD Bill [Passed/Vetoed/Withdrawn]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Author Topic: Decriminalization of LSD Bill [Passed/Vetoed/Withdrawn]  (Read 10852 times)
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: August 18, 2007, 07:59:13 AM »

This bill is a terrific arguement for that expanded line item veto power.  The taxation section is a fiscal nightmare.
I had a different plan for taxation, but I knew Ebowed's vote would be crucial and I did not really care where the money went as long as we were creating revenue off something we used to lose revenue off of.  It is certainly a fiscal improvement that can be rectified in the future if someone feels it necessary.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #101 on: August 18, 2007, 10:08:36 AM »

I knew Ebowed's vote would be crucial and I did not really care where the money went

Quoted.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: August 18, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »

I knew Ebowed's vote would be crucial and I did not really care where the money went

Quoted.
While the statement is true you convinently left off the last part stating how this was new revenue that we did not have before so anything would be an improvement.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #103 on: August 18, 2007, 08:21:07 PM »

Veto

I am sorry to have to do this since I agree with the basic premise of this bill however I feel that, in its current form, the bill is so badly worded that, while it achieves a noble cause, I cannot put my signature on this piece of legislation. The taxation portion of this bill is badly worded and, as it was brought up by several members of this body including Senators Sam Spade and Lewis Trondheim, made little sense. I believe in the spirit of this legislation and hope that a version that is more clear and better written than the current bill is brought, again, before this Senate. If I had paid attention to this debate before, which I apologize for, I could have brought this to the attention of the Senators sooner.

Also I would like to take time to point out that Mr. Moderate is absolutely correct. The Line-Item Veto as put forward in the administrations proposed reforms would be apt to a situation such as this as this would give the options to myself and the Senate of working on this legislation and ironing out the small shortcomings that are keeping me from affixing my signature to this bill. While I hate to use my full veto powers on a bill whose main function I support I feel that it would be a dereliction of my duty if I allowed a bill that I consider to not be up to the standard of Atlasian law to have my affirmation.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: August 18, 2007, 10:57:03 PM »

Ok, DWTL - You have 72 hours from the President's veto to call for a veto override or the bill will be withdrawn.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #105 on: August 19, 2007, 05:04:26 AM »

Well, when we reconsider a better worded bill, it would be a good idea to add a section to remove the sentences of people imprisoned solely for LSD related offenses within the appropriate jurisdiction.  That, to me, is the more serious oversight, than whatever qualms people have with the bill as it stands (as frankly, I still remain unsure what they are, exactly).
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: August 19, 2007, 07:34:29 AM »

Well, that is certainly not enough time to throw the line-item veto into effect and currently I am unable to redraft the bill and send it back to the president.  I will wait until later today to make a decision, however, I find it very unlikely that unless someone is willing to change their mind if an amendment to the bill in later on is presented, I see no reason to continue this, however, I will redraft the bill and submit it again if I choose to withdraw.

Actually, I will just withdraw it and resubmit it now.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #107 on: August 19, 2007, 10:03:24 AM »

This bill has been withdrawn.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies