Who would be better for America's educated class?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:48:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who would be better for America's educated class?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: So who is it?
BRTD

WalterMitty

Keystone Phil

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Who would be better for America's educated class?  (Read 5790 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 24, 2007, 02:01:28 PM »

Two attention whores vs. someone who felt like being an attention whore just this once.  Wink

Being a member of the educated class, I obviously vote for myself.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:04:58 PM »

im certainly a member of the educated class myself, phil.

however, im far more interested in seeing the powerless do better in america.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:07:50 PM »

I don't know how you can say that with some of your nanny state ideas.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:10:42 PM »

says the guy who wants to ban abortions and prevent two gays from marrying...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:23:49 PM »

Being Pro Life isn't nanny state since I believe the innocent have a right to life. I love when people try to say that that's a "big government/nanny state" view though. That's the type of governing that we should focus on - defending those that have no way to defend themselves and cannot control their own destiny.

And while I am against gays marrying, I am all for civil unions. I don't see how that's a nanny state value.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 04:06:40 PM »

Educated class?  What the hell does that mean?  A well-trained serf?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 05:43:32 PM »
« Edited: July 24, 2007, 05:48:19 PM by Angry_Weasel »

Being Pro Life isn't nanny state since I believe the innocent have a right to life. I love when people try to say that that's a "big government/nanny state" view though. That's the type of governing that we should focus on - defending those that have no way to defend themselves and cannot control their own destiny.

And while I am against gays marrying, I am all for civil unions. I don't see how that's a nanny state value.

Isn't the nanny state about "protecting the innocent"? That would include everything from being protected from things that offend you to not having to breate in poison gas. I guess protecting others from being offended/creeped out by two guys acting like a married couple or stopping someone from ending a life before it begins are nanny state values. lol. A nanny state value is ANYTHING...ANYTHING beyond basic government spending that uses taxes to be in exsistence. Abortion bans need taxes like medicaid....and conversely I can state that medicaid "defending those that have no way to defend themselves and cannot control their own destiny because the innocent and poor have a right to life.

Enough of that, What do you consider the "educated class"  to be anyway?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 05:47:04 PM »

Being a member of the *more* educated class, I naturally vote BRTD.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 05:49:12 PM »

That sounds a bit Orwellian by the way because the more educated are more equal, right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 05:50:09 PM »

That sounds a bit Orwellian by the way because the more educated are more equal, right?

I don't know, but I'm not impressed by some freshman or whatever calling himself the educated class.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 05:52:33 PM »

I don't know, but I'm not impressed by some freshman or whatever calling himself the educated class.
I'm a 2L in Law School. I have a BA. Am I in the educated class?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »

Isn't the nanny state about "protecting the innocent"? That would include everything from being protected from things that offend you to not having to breate in poison gas.

Read the second part of what I said. "... and those that cannot control their own destiny." I believe that people can control whether or not they go into an establishment where there is smoking (I assume that is what you are referring to).

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No, not at all. I'm just in favor of keeping the status quo when it comes to marriage. That isn't creating bigger government/a nanny state.

It's a joke because of Walter's new obsession with the working class.

I'm pretty sure that you can consider yourself an educated person regardless of what grade your are in.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 07:00:33 PM »

You should actually read Orwell's books before throwing around "Orwellian".
Everett
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 07:02:58 PM »

Me, because I was smart enough to not major in Political Science.

Wink
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 07:11:17 PM »

Isn't the nanny state about "protecting the innocent"? That would include everything from being protected from things that offend you to not having to breate in poison gas.

Read the second part of what I said. "... and those that cannot control their own destiny." I believe that people can control whether or not they go into an establishment where there is smoking (I assume that is what you are referring to).

No, not at all. I'm just in favor of keeping the status quo when it comes to marriage. That isn't creating bigger government/a nanny state.

It's a joke because of Walter's new obsession with the working class.

I'm pretty sure that you can consider yourself an educated person regardless of what grade your are in.

1- Many poor could be mentally ill or retarded. When you have those problems, you have trouble with self-determination

2- Yea, but it does create a more complicated legal, if not constitutional code

3- Hmmm... I guess like how a working class must do actual work to survive, the educated class lives off of formal education beyond the basic high school education.

I guess you could divide that class into  

the generally educated class  and professional class, the professional class being those who have to have special certification and training after a basic, yet complete post-secondary education, be it more formal education, or informal education that requires a college degree to begin. Then again, that could be a near-professional class...and I guess the basic educated class could be described as semi-professional.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2007, 07:12:19 PM »

You should actually read Orwell's books before throwing around "Orwellian".

I have too read them.

Me, because I was smart enough to not major in Political Science.

Wink

Eh heh.....
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2007, 07:16:20 PM »

1- Many poor could be mentally ill or retarded. When you have those problems, you have trouble with self-determination

And I definetley believe that we have to help those people to an extent.

I don't see what that has to do with my statements on a nanny state.

Or both as I am. My whole point is that these "working family" tags that Walter loves are nonsense. If you don't support Chris Dodd and the like, you are against "working families." My family is made up mostly of conservative Republicans. My immediate family is all conservative Republican. No one in my family will be supporting the "Pro working family" candidates on the Dem side. Now go tell my parents that we aren't a "working family." I'm tired of that nonsense.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2007, 07:38:52 PM »

...and don't forget abused chirldren and traumatized veterans. ...but are you admitting that you are in favor of a nanny state?

Don't you see. It's government action and regulation. Isn't that what the nanny state is to you?

Or both as I am. My whole point is that these "working family" tags that Walter loves are nonsense. If you don't support Chris Dodd and the like, you are against "working families." My family is made up mostly of conservative Republicans. My immediate family is all conservative Republican. No one in my family will be supporting the "Pro working family" candidates on the Dem side. Now go tell my parents that we aren't a "working family." I'm tired of that nonsense.
What do you mean to "conserve" and to "work"? I am not denying you do these things. I just want to know what you mean. Although, if you are lower-to-middle income, wouldn't you support someone who will provide you with an easier life? Perhaps you considered voting for Bob Casey, someone who would make your life easier and provide you oppurtunities without offending your sensibilities.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2007, 07:45:31 PM »

phil,  some folks think it is nonsense for certain right-of-centre candidates to try to insinuate they are more patriotic and/or a better christian than their left of centre opponent
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2007, 07:48:13 PM »

phil,  some folks think it is nonsense for certain right-of-centre candidates to try to insinuate they are more patriotic and/or a better christian than their left of centre opponent

ehhh....that too. I think I am on to proving a point in another thread. Go on.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2007, 07:58:18 PM »

No High School (4%)
Bush: 49% +10
Kerry: 50%

H.S. Graduate (22%)
Bush: 52% +3
Kerry: 47%

Some College (32%)
Bush: 54% +3
Kerry: 46%

College Graduate (26%)
Bush: 52% +1
Kerry: 46%

Postgrad Study (16%)
Bush: 44% + 0
Kerry: 55%

I suppose as you go up the education ladder it would either favor WalterMitty or BRTD, but with KP having significant support amongst those with "some college" and "high school graduates".
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2007, 08:05:02 PM »

...and don't forget abused chirldren and traumatized veterans. ...but are you admitting that you are in favor of a nanny state?

Don't you see. It's government action and regulation. Isn't that what the nanny state is to you?

What do you mean to "conserve" and to "work"? I am not denying you do these things. I just want to know what you mean. Although, if you are lower-to-middle income, wouldn't you support someone who will provide you with an easier life? Perhaps you considered voting for Bob Casey, someone who would make your life easier and provide you oppurtunities without offending your sensibilities.

"Provide you with an easier life"  Some of us don't feel that that's the government's role. It doesn't mean we aren't middle class/work.

And you really must be new here if you are bringing up me voting for Casey...

Brilliant, Walter! Now tell me what the hell that has to do with this topic.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2007, 08:09:26 PM »

"Provide you with an easier life"  Some of us don't feel that that's the government's role. It doesn't mean we aren't middle class/work.

And you really must be new here if you are bringing up me voting for Casey...

Brilliant, Walter! Now tell me what the hell that has to do with this topic.

I am new here. Did you?

What does it matter that someone makes it happen?
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2007, 08:13:24 PM »

Obviously none of you would be adept because of failure to recognize the patterns of government failure.  BRTD and Phil are unable to transcend the lines of left and right and Waltermitty pretty much independently arrives at the worst possible conclusions without any idelogical affiliation-which I actually find kinda amazing.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2007, 08:15:34 PM »

Wow. Can you analyze me?
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies