"24" will get a female President in January 2008
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:38:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  "24" will get a female President in January 2008
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: "24" will get a female President in January 2008  (Read 7678 times)
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2007, 09:15:12 PM »

Bad show, who cares about a female President. They're doing it to try and get a spike in ratings, which they'll get for a couple of weeks before the "magic" runs out.

I curse you to use the toilet for many moons.
CubOB
ChrisOB

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2007, 06:58:36 AM »

I'm not a fan of 24 by any means, but why is this even important enough to bring up? They've had a black president on the show, so why not a woman?
WiseGuy

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2007, 07:39:55 AM »

"24" will be same old dumb show in January 2008.

Tongue

*Gunshot*

Bad show, who cares about a female President. They're doing it to try and get a spike in ratings, which they'll get for a couple of weeks before the "magic" runs out.

*gunshot* *gunshot*

Tongue
WiseGuy

« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2007, 07:42:31 AM »

If this is yet another attempt to soften the nation for a Hitlery Presidency, I'l be boycotting the seventh season.

If it's a good character that simply happens to be a woman, I'm thrilled.
Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2007, 02:20:37 PM »

If this is yet another attempt to soften the nation for a Hitlery Presidency, I'l be boycotting the seventh season.

That's what I think this is, too.  Besides, I liked David Palmer better than the other 24 presidents even though he was a Democrat.

Rin-chan
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 02:31:31 PM »

That's what I think this is, too.  Besides, I liked David Palmer better than the other 24 presidents even though he was a Democrat.

Rin-chan

Of course, Rin. He was the best! His brother wasn't too good last season though, IMO.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 02:33:02 PM »

Yes, I concur. The leader lacks a penis, so therefore, it's pro-Hillary. I'm sorry. Hitlery.

Besides, given that the writers seem to be out of ideas, I'm sure the 25th amendment will be invoked sometime during the season. Or she'll be assassinated/wounded in an assassination attempt. Presidents don't seem to last very long on 24.

Rin-chan
rinchan089
YaBB God
Japan

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: 5.57

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2007, 09:19:54 PM »

Rin-chan

Of course, Rin. He was the best! His brother wasn't too good last season though, IMO.

Yeah, Wayne was a bit of a wuss sometimes...  Although, I did admire him for working even though he was so injured.

Rin-chan
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 12:34:18 PM »

"Here's your lunch..."
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »

Phil, don't you have a former Senator to call from your state? I know I do...
WiseGuy

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 07:23:52 AM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 07:26:27 AM by RonPaul08 »

Yes, I concur. The leader lacks a penis, so therefore, it's pro-Hillary. I'm sorry. Hitlery.

Besides, given that the writers seem to be out of ideas, I'm sure the 25th amendment will be invoked sometime during the season. Or she'll be assassinated/wounded in an assassination attempt. Presidents don't seem to last very long on 24.

To take a phrase from Red on That 70's Show, read my entire post, dumbass.

I said IF.  If it's a good character and not just some way of shoving a political agenda down my throat, I'd love a female president on the show.  They did David Palmer wonderfully, so I probably have nothing to worry about.  However, the timing is suspicious.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2007, 05:55:19 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 05:58:30 PM by Boris »

Did he really say that? In what context? (I haven't watched the show in years)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Ah, yes, the great conjunction of 'if.' But yeah, Actual policy has never really been discussed 24. Were it not for some remark that Sherry Palmer made in season 1, the political affiliations of the politicians wouldn't be known. The politicians on 24 spend their time either plotting against Jack Bauer, being incompetent/stupid, being assassinated, or just being cool (see David Palmer). There's nothing to be suspicious about, and even if there were, I'm sure this President will be assassinated or removed from power via the 25th amendment in no time at all. Also, the writers of 24 aren't exactly known for their left-wing politics.

btw, Hitlerly is a very witty name. Did you come up with that by yourself? If so, kudos to you. Democrats suck at coming up with creative names for their political opposition. Hell, some of the folks at Dailykos refer to Wolfowitz as 'wolfy.' C'mon.
WiseGuy

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 07:38:26 PM »

Did he really say that? In what context? (I haven't watched the show in years)

No, he just says dumbass all the time.

Hmm...the ONLY republican president has been an evil SOB, while all of the Democratic politicians have been squeaky clean except for Daniels (who seems like a blue dog.)  Nope, not left-wing at all *eyeroll*

No, I heard it on RightWingNews.  I don't know who actually invented it.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 07:58:17 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 08:02:01 PM by Boris »

Hmm...the ONLY republican president has been an evil SOB, while all of the Democratic politicians have been squeaky clean except for Daniels (who seems like a blue dog.)  Nope, not left-wing at all *eyeroll

Yes, but the odds of the writers actually insinuating anything from the aforementioned fact are slim to nil. Were they actually making a political point, it'd be far more obvious, as the only people cognizant about the presidential political affiliations are nerds like us who have seen presumably seen all six seasons. Joel Surnow, the co-creator and one of the lead writers, is a self-described conservative and I believe has donated money to the RNC as well as Rick Santorum's re-election bid. The show consistently espouses torture as being effective and necessary, bashes Amnesty International (in a rather comedic episode), portrays liberal protesters as complete pussies, and also portrays a family of Muslims as terrorists. Although Season 2 had a nice forewarning about getting the facts straight before rushing to war.

The fact that the only effective Presidents on 24 have been Democrats is nothing more than an ironic coincidence. Although I wouldn't exactly describe Palmer as being 'squeaky-clean;' he ordered the execution of the coolest character ever, Ryan Chappelle. What a douche. I would've gladly seen the U.S. destroyed but Chappelle still alive.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 09:34:29 PM »

Hmm...the ONLY republican president has been an evil SOB, while all of the Democratic politicians have been squeaky clean except for Daniels (who seems like a blue dog.)  Nope, not left-wing at all *eyeroll

Yes, but the odds of the writers actually insinuating anything from the aforementioned fact are slim to nil. Were they actually making a political point, it'd be far more obvious, as the only people cognizant about the presidential political affiliations are nerds like us who have seen presumably seen all six seasons. Joel Surnow, the co-creator and one of the lead writers, is a self-described conservative and I believe has donated money to the RNC as well as Rick Santorum's re-election bid. The show consistently espouses torture as being effective and necessary, bashes Amnesty International (in a rather comedic episode), portrays liberal protesters as complete pussies, and also portrays a family of Muslims as terrorists. Although Season 2 had a nice forewarning about getting the facts straight before rushing to war.

The fact that the only effective Presidents on 24 have been Democrats is nothing more than an ironic coincidence. Although I wouldn't exactly describe Palmer as being 'squeaky-clean;' he ordered the execution of the coolest character ever, Ryan Chappelle. What a douche. I would've gladly seen the U.S. destroyed but Chappelle still alive.

George Mason was a far cooler character...as is/was President Logan
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 09:54:29 PM »

George Mason was a far cooler character...as is/was President Logan

He was my favorite 24 character.

portrays liberal protesters as complete pussies

Your point is?
WiseGuy

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2007, 11:18:53 PM »

I've only seen seasons one and two in their entirety.  Only got into the show after 5 had ended and caught a random ep on A&E.  I've seen scattered eps ever since then, and missed the beginning of six due to vacation plans.

Once they spilled David Palmer's affiliation in Day One, one can deduct that the guy who ran against him is a Republican.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2007, 11:22:13 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2007, 11:23:53 PM by King Norris I of Atlasia »

As King of Atlasia I informed FOX studios that I desired the return of President Logan, they did not respond well, I have sacked them in response.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2007, 11:59:59 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2007, 12:02:00 AM by Boris »

Dayam, I just got served by Naso Cheesy

Once they spilled David Palmer's affiliation in Day One, one can deduct that the guy who ran against him is a Republican.

I never said otherwise.

Mason was an awesome character too. Does anyone long for the good ole days with Kim, Mason, Tony, Chappelle, Michelle, etc. The new characters really suck.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2007, 12:24:45 AM »

Hmm...the ONLY republican president has been an evil SOB, while all of the Democratic politicians have been squeaky clean except for Daniels (who seems like a blue dog.)  Nope, not left-wing at all *eyeroll*

Sounds like a show based on reality.  Which, as we know, has a well-known leftwing bias.
WiseGuy

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2007, 12:40:49 AM »

I never said otherwise. 

Right, I was just saying it didn't take a nerd who'd seen every episode.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2007, 12:49:30 AM »

I never said otherwise. 

Right, I was just saying it didn't take a nerd who'd seen every episode.

My words were an exaggeration to make a point. IIRC, the line is mentioned once by Sherry Palmer in an episode that aired six years ago. The average 24 viewer nowadays most likely is incognizant of such knowledge and is even more unlikely to then make the connection that Logan is a Republican. Being that most people are unaware of the political affiliation (since, as I mentioned before, actual policy is never really discussed), the idea to insert a political point utilizing the respective Presidents' political parties would be rather useless, wouldn't it? Especially when most of the writers probably believe in the opposite of such a point.

IIRC, that line was ad-libbed by Penny Johnson Jerald anyway and therefore wasn't in the actual script penned by the writers.
WiseGuy

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2007, 09:03:00 AM »

My words were an exaggeration to make a point. IIRC, the line is mentioned once by Sherry Palmer in an episode that aired six years ago. The average 24 viewer nowadays most likely is incognizant of such knowledge and is even more unlikely to then make the connection that Logan is a Republican.

Oh, OK Tongue

Being that most people are unaware of the political affiliation (since, as I mentioned before, actual policy is never really discussed), the idea to insert a political point utilizing the respective Presidents' political parties would be rather useless, wouldn't it? Especially when most of the writers probably believe in the opposite of such a point.

Why would a team of people who were mainly conservatives who obviously support G. W. and the war in Iraq, portray the only Republican characters as slime balls?

IIRC, that line was ad-libbed by Penny Johnson Jerald anyway and therefore wasn't in the actual script penned by the writers.

Even so, the writers knew she ad libbed the line and thus Palmer was established as a Democrat so Keeler and Logan would be Republicans.  Therefore, if they are supporters of the RNC like you claim, why would the only Republican politicians featured in the show be villains.  I really like 24, but I don't believe there are conservatives of any stripe running the show.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2007, 09:26:38 AM »

My words were an exaggeration to make a point. IIRC, the line is mentioned once by Sherry Palmer in an episode that aired six years ago. The average 24 viewer nowadays most likely is incognizant of such knowledge and is even more unlikely to then make the connection that Logan is a Republican.

Oh, OK Tongue

Being that most people are unaware of the political affiliation (since, as I mentioned before, actual policy is never really discussed), the idea to insert a political point utilizing the respective Presidents' political parties would be rather useless, wouldn't it? Especially when most of the writers probably believe in the opposite of such a point.

Why would a team of people who were mainly conservatives who obviously support G. W. and the war in Iraq, portray the only Republican characters as slime balls?

Even so, the writers knew she ad libbed the line and thus Palmer was established as a Democrat so Keeler and Logan would be Republicans.  Therefore, if they are supporters of the RNC like you claim, why would the only Republican politicians featured in the show be villains.  I really like 24, but I don't believe there are conservatives of any stripe running the show.

IIRC, one of the two main producers is a Democrat.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies