1976: Muskie/Sanford (D) vs. Ford/Dole (R) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:13:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1976: Muskie/Sanford (D) vs. Ford/Dole (R) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1976: Muskie/Sanford (D) vs. Ford/Dole (R)  (Read 1794 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« on: July 20, 2007, 12:09:52 AM »
« edited: July 20, 2007, 12:15:30 AM by Tammany Hall Republican »

In 1976, Muskie was a credible candidate.  Ford had improved somewhat since taking office, but his pardon of Nixon, though the right decision in the long run, still left bitterness in much of the country in 1976.  As well, Ford had a tendency for making missteps.

Liberal Muskie is pretty well shut out of the south.  Sanford is not much help in the south, but is able to deliver North Carolina, where he is popular.  Muskie picks up strength in the northeast, midwest, and west, to win the election.

(Actually, I doubt that Muskie would have carried North Carolina even with Sanford on the ticket, but I put it for Muskie on the map in recognition of Sanford)

Muskie/Sanford            298
Ford/Dole                     240

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:24:34 PM »

Just me thinking out loud, but I think had Muskie been the Dem candidate in 1976, he would not have pursued any kind of a "southern strategy," by picking a southerner for VP.  This would have done him no good under any circumstances anyway, as far as gaining any electoral advantage in the south.

I believe Muskie would have picked Washington Senator Henry Jackson for VP.

Muskie had the liberal credentials.  Jackson was more of a moderate, and was a hawk when it came to defense and national security, which would have been good for a ticket with Muskie.

Jackson was credible and well thought of, although the Democratic left was not fond of him, but like I said, Muskie had the liberal credentials which would have appealed to the Democratic left.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies