NBC: Biden to discuss future of campaign with family tomorrow
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 06, 2024, 12:51:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  NBC: Biden to discuss future of campaign with family tomorrow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Author Topic: NBC: Biden to discuss future of campaign with family tomorrow  (Read 8578 times)
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2024, 10:24:36 AM »

With all due respect anyone who realized JUST THURSDAY NIGHT that Joe Biden might be too old to run for president is either gullible beyond belief or has the memory of a goldfish. Guy's 81 years old, had 2 brain aneurysms, and has always stuttered with gaffes. I voted for him in the primary (End of April, by that late in the game the best path forward to beat Trump was show confidence in the Democratic nominee) with the understanding he was liable to have a senior moment on national TV and a contingent response of "see if we can get people to think Trump is even more unfit to serve". That's the corner we are backed into and the time to avoid it was in January at the latest
Honestly, the time to avoid this was 2020 in the first place, a younger candidate should have been chosen then.

I agree with your post though.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2024, 10:31:45 AM »

With all due respect anyone who realized JUST THURSDAY NIGHT that Joe Biden might be too old to run for president is either gullible beyond belief or has the memory of a goldfish. Guy's 81 years old, had 2 brain aneurysms, and has always stuttered with gaffes. I voted for him in the primary (End of April, by that late in the game the best path forward to beat Trump was show confidence in the Democratic nominee) with the understanding he was liable to have a senior moment on national TV and a contingent response of "see if we can get people to think Trump is even more unfit to serve". That's the corner we are backed into and the time to avoid it was in January at the latest
Honestly, the time to avoid this was 2020 in the first place, a younger candidate should have been chosen then.

Given that Biden only barely won, I have doubts about most of the other 2020 candidates in winning at all. I'm not necessarily saying that the other 24 all lose, but I stand by the notion that Biden was the best bet then.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2024, 10:32:51 AM »

I voted for Klobuchar even in May 2020, lol
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2024, 10:32:54 AM »

I was pretty staunchly in the "he's fine" camp prior to the debate.  No longer.

It’s also hilarious given how much the media tried to gaslight us into thinking Biden’s SOTU was somehow a return to form. We all saw it and we all cringed through it; he flubbed dozens of lines and jokes, and that was with a teleprompter. Yes, it wasn’t even close to how bad Thursday was, but it also shouldn’t have instilled false confidence in anyone.
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2024, 10:36:38 AM »

I voted for Bernie in 2020 based on electability. I'm starting to wonder if I was right about that, just four years too early. Then again, the presidency clearly ages a person much faster - we can't know what Bernie's condition would be now if he were Commander in Chief rather than Senator.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2024, 10:38:31 AM »

Guys, the campaign released a video shutting down all speculation about this trip. They said it was planned well before the debate and Biden has no intention of dropping out. Biden’s going to be the nominee.

More or less that is just the campaign not letting a narrative be set before any decisions are actually made. I can see exiting the race being on the table because family meetings being leaked is a big deal.

I think all the people who never liked Biden see this as their shot to get rid of him. Which to be fair the debate was pretty bad, but generally stuff like this is because of longstanding grudges. I think people are vastly overstating the chance that Biden is going to step down based on off the record mudslinging and leaking from long time critics.

Just like how the NYT is well known to hate Biden and did a goofy double endorsement of Warren and Klobuchar in the 2020 primary, of course they put out a call for him to step down.

So many people are suddenly acting like political operatives aren't shady backstabbing scum  as well as often liars because right now the liars are saying what they want to hear.

I like Biden. I think his has been a very effective and successful Presidentcy within the limits of the hand he was dealt. I had hoped that we would get 2020 Biden / State of the Union Biden for the campaign. I have been clear, I think, that my concern about his age was that it could easily jump up and bite him (and by extension, the campaign and the country). That appears to have come to pass.

That the NYT wants him to step down us a strong endorsement for him staying in. Personally I don't know what the best course is now, although the people claiming the debate wasn't an utter disaster get my hackles up as getting on the same train of loyalty above reality that the GOP has ridden straight to hell.

I think I'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next month or so.

WV222
masterofawesome

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.83

P
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2024, 10:41:58 AM »

Arizona Iced Tea
Minute Maid Juice
Junior Chimp

« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2024, 10:50:19 AM »

SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2024, 10:51:28 AM »

Raskin doesn't sound confident that Biden won't drop out. Maybe he actually will, though I'd still bet against it.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2024, 10:59:08 AM »

Guys, the campaign released a video shutting down all speculation about this trip. They said it was planned well before the debate and Biden has no intention of dropping out. Biden’s going to be the nominee.

More or less that is just the campaign not letting a narrative be set before any decisions are actually made. I can see exiting the race being on the table because family meetings being leaked is a big deal.

I think all the people who never liked Biden see this as their shot to get rid of him. Which to be fair the debate was pretty bad, but generally stuff like this is because of longstanding grudges. I think people are vastly overstating the chance that Biden is going to step down based on off the record mudslinging and leaking from long time critics.

Just like how the NYT is well known to hate Biden and did a goofy double endorsement of Warren and Klobuchar in the 2020 primary, of course they put out a call for him to step down.

So many people are suddenly acting like political operatives aren't shady backstabbing scum  as well as often liars because right now the liars are saying what they want to hear.

All of that is true and of course certain people were ready to report a particular perception of this meeting but I still think that exiting the race might be on the table. It certainly seems like preparation to prepare a graceful exit. Even though the meeting was pre-planned the purpose of it could have definitely been changed due to the debate.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2024, 11:15:53 AM »

Raskin doesn't sound confident that Biden won't drop out. Maybe he actually will, though I'd still bet against it.

This is the strongest statement I’ve heard yet from a high-ranking Democrat acknowledging he might not be the nominee. That’s pretty big. Almost like he’s trying to reassure us they’re not actually in denial like some other people are acting.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2024, 11:17:32 AM »

I like Biden. I think his has been a very effective and successful Presidentcy within the limits of the hand he was dealt. I had hoped that we would get 2020 Biden / State of the Union Biden for the campaign. I have been clear, I think, that my concern about his age was that it could easily jump up and bite him (and by extension, the campaign and the country). That appears to have come to pass.

That the NYT wants him to step down us a strong endorsement for him staying in. Personally I don't know what the best course is now, although the people claiming the debate wasn't an utter disaster get my hackles up as getting on the same train of loyalty above reality that the GOP has ridden straight to hell.

I think I'll just have to wait and see what happens over the next month or so.

Oh for f—k’s sake.

Come on, man. You were on point on this yesterday. Changing your mind for the sake of contrarianism is ridiculous.
LostInOhio
United States
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2024, 11:18:30 AM »

Given that Biden only barely won, I have doubts about most of the other 2020 candidates in winning at all. I'm not necessarily saying that the other 24 all lose, but I stand by the notion that Biden was the best bet then.

I actually think that either Cory Booker or Amy Klobuchar were in hindsight the two best choices for the Democrats that election - maybe even if they were on the same ticket.

I really wish neither Biden nor Bernie had ran, tbh. Bernie would be in an even worse situation than Biden right now even if he had won (and that’s a big if).
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2024, 11:20:15 AM »

I actually think that either Cory Booker or Amy Klobuchar were in hindsight the two best choices for the Democrats that election - maybe even if they were on the same ticket.

I really wish neither Biden nor Bernie had ran, tbh. Bernie would be in an even worse situation than Biden right now even if he had won (and that’s a big if).

I donated to Klobuchar for a reason. “Some interns said she was mean” affecting her campaign tells you all you need to know about how wussified much of the Democratic Party is today.
Open Source Intelligence
United States
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2024, 11:35:49 AM »

F#ck off with that bullsh*t. Dean Phillips' career is over, and Axelrod said this last fall and everyone lambasted him.
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2024, 12:07:03 PM »

It's not that I'm opposed to Biden dropping out, it's the irrational hate and childish mocking I have an issue with. The mean girl syndrome on here is real. Biden wasn't even my first choice in 2020, but I've never hated him like most people on this board do.

I don't think hatred of him is the general vibe.  I think most of us want to win and see that that won't happen with Biden, and a lot of people are also concerned about his fitness, political considerations aside.
The media never liked Biden. He was the front runner in 2020 and polled best aganist Biden, yet was given the least amount of media coverage during the 2019-2020 primaries. Buttigieg, Klobuchar, and Harris all got more media coverage. Why?

I kind of agree with this. He's the only President, certainly in my lifetime that never had a base in the media. Trump had/has FOX, OANN, and Newsmax, on top of every right wing kook and grifter doing damage control for him, and even though on the surface the mainstream media's line is "democracy is at stake," they'd like nothing more than to have Trump back in as the outrage he generated among his opponents was good for business. Obama was a darling of the mainstream press as well as the (non fringe) left podcasters/online crowd, and was for FOX and talk radio what Trump was for the mainstream media. Even Bush had FOX and talk radio till the bitter end.

Cue Beet and @noahpinion being all like "Biden is surprisingly Trumpy in many ways- at least in terms of being able to credibly rail against the mainstream media as being biased against him"

Two things can be true at once. The liberal media hates Biden and always has; they desperately wanted someone that checks their boxes like Harris or Buttigieg back in 2020 and they tried many times during that primary to use their influence to get rid of him. Biden is also way too old to handle the presidency or successfully win re-election.

kia boyz '24
slimey56
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.46, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2024, 12:14:19 PM »

I was pretty staunchly in the "he's fine" camp prior to the debate.  No longer.

It’s also hilarious given how much the media tried to gaslight us into thinking Biden’s SOTU was somehow a return to form. We all saw it and we all cringed through it; he flubbed dozens of lines and jokes, and that was with a teleprompter. Yes, it wasn’t even close to how bad Thursday was, but it also shouldn’t have instilled false confidence in anyone.

Biden's most cogent moments by far were when Trump provoked him and he got aggressive. That should've been the strategy from the get-go: make everyone watching walk away with "the one thing keeping this man alive is a smoldering hatred of Donald Trump" instead of "He's a phuckin vegetable". Alas here we are, perhaps things go better at the 2nd debate in September. Perhaps Biden drops out and voters forgive the DNC for lying solely out of relief there isn't a 2020 rematch. There are no great options forward
RBH

« Reply #167 on: June 30, 2024, 12:23:57 PM »

At least the photos of the future discussion will be above average at worst. At the risk of awakening photography enthusiasts.

It probably doesn't work like this in politics, but I'd hope some people at least have the standard of not saying anything to the press that they haven't already said privately to the people involved. But i'm kinda taking the approach of "it's like a flight, the people who always get jittery on flights aren't the reasons to be worried, but if the co-pilot/rarely nervous starts getting nervous, that's different". Some people in public life have reporters on speed dial and some don't.

So, when does the holiday weekend start this week, Wednesday afternoon?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #168 on: June 30, 2024, 12:27:02 PM »

I'll believe it when I see it.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #169 on: June 30, 2024, 12:44:57 PM »

The framing of this seems pretty disingenuous on NBC's part since you'd never know it was pre-planned unless you read the whole article
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2024, 12:46:56 PM »

Unless he barely won in spite, not because.
RBH

« Reply #171 on: June 30, 2024, 12:55:35 PM »

The framing of this seems pretty disingenuous on NBC's part since you'd never know it was pre-planned unless you read the whole article

really the "fun" disingenuous scenario is when some people that are pushing for a replacement do a 180 and blame problems on doing a replacement. Some of the coverage here really makes it difficult for a switch to not be viewed as cravenly political, as opposed to just being political.

especially if they do a replacement, and the replacement initially polls worse than Biden had been, even if the difference is all in name recognition.

if you're looking to make people happy, then you have to aim to make the people happy that could vote for you but are waffling as opposed to trying to make people happy that aren't voting for you. A switch here would be all about holding the hand of concerned Dems/Dem-lenders, squeezing it tight, and getting them to not flake out on the election.
Splash
United States

« Reply #172 on: June 30, 2024, 01:24:14 PM »

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #173 on: June 30, 2024, 01:33:28 PM »

Seems like this headline was just a nothingburger or pure speculation.
RBH

« Reply #174 on: June 30, 2024, 01:39:35 PM »

it's crunch time for the political people who watched way too many Aaron Sorkin productions
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies