Maybe this is the most worrying moment for the world
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 30, 2024, 01:38:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Maybe this is the most worrying moment for the world
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Maybe this is the most worrying moment for the world  (Read 558 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 28, 2024, 12:54:19 AM »

The moment the candidates clashed on NATO
Trump just shrugged when directly asked if he would stay in NATO. He did not even try to deny it later, or dodge the question like he often does. If Trump is openly taking an isolationist position, the risk is higher that he is going to act on it if re-elected. Even if the US does not officially withdraw, if the risk is more likely then both US allies and enemies are more likely to make decisions that assume the US will not be a reliable ally.

Democrats need to get their act together because this election is too important to lose.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2024, 01:06:10 AM »

The moment the candidates clashed on NATO
Trump just shrugged when directly asked if he would stay in NATO. He did not even try to deny it later, or dodge the question like he often does. If Trump is openly taking an isolationist position, the risk is higher that he is going to act on it if re-elected. Even if the US does not officially withdraw, if the risk is more likely then both US allies and enemies are more likely to make decisions that assume the US will not be a reliable ally.

Democrats need to get their act together because this election is too important to lose.
Democratic elites will gladly allow the election to be thrown to Trump. It is clear neither Biden nor the establishment really care much about America or the World, as they are sleepwalking into a second Trump term.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2024, 01:12:01 AM »

Yep, in addition to his trying to become a Franco like dictator this is one of my biggest concerns. If we leave NATO WWIII is starting and we very well may end up getting pulled into it anyway. Hundreds of thousands if not over a million dead because 45% to 50% of the country are Trump bootlickers.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2024, 01:15:36 AM »

The World is not White Europe. Correct the wording and you may have a point.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2024, 01:30:21 AM »

The World is not White Europe. Correct the wording and you may have a point.

There are ripple effects like what happened in WWII. China and North Korea could very well try to take advantage of a war in Europe, as well as many simmering conflicts in the Middle East. Dissolving NATO is an extremely stupid idea that could get hundreds of thousands killed for no reason. The only country to ever invoke NATO is us, we're not losing out here by having our name on a piece of paper to help keep the peace.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2024, 01:34:10 AM »

I'd argue October 1962, September 1939, and a few other times were a lot more worrying for the world than whether one old man wins over another old man.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2024, 01:40:54 AM »

I'd argue October 1962, September 1939, and a few other times were a lot more worrying for the world than whether one old man wins over another old man.

Most worrying moment in this debate.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2024, 01:41:28 AM »

I obviously hope to god we don’t actually leave NATO but I do hope this convinces Europe to start stepping up and taking their own defense seriously. The worst case scenario is Trump wins and plunges us back into like 1920s style isolationism, and Eurasia is fresh meat for Russia and China. Trump is right that Europe has been overly dependent on the US to be daddy for far too long, even as he is totally wrong in concluding that means we should stop supporting them at all.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2024, 01:43:16 AM »

The worrying thing for the world is that this response won't be talked about because Biden is old, and that gets more attention that dangerous rhetoric.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2024, 01:55:19 AM »

The worrying thing for the world is that this response won't be talked about because Biden is old, and that gets more attention that dangerous rhetoric.

I seriously don't give a crap if Biden is genuinely 100% senile (which he isn't) and just getting propped up by aids all the time with Kamala or whoever really running things. Trump is an authoritarian, a racist, and monumentally stupid and should never be allowed anywhere near serious authority where he is responsible for other people. And this is a fairly right wing libertarian saying this, it's not just "TE LIBS".
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2024, 01:56:22 AM »

If your only endorsement for Trump is that he's not as bad as WWII or the Cuban Missile Crisis that tells us all we need to know.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2024, 02:04:30 AM »

If your only endorsement for Trump is that he's not as bad as WWII or the Cuban Missile Crisis that tells us all we need to know.

Not so much an endorsement as I simply don't think this moment represents the most worrying in human history; I don't believe in needless partisan hyperbole. See my other posts. I don't think either of them deserve to govern this country, and I think that the fact they are what we came up with in both parties is a major indictment of our country, and a worrying sign for our future.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2024, 02:31:12 AM »

Not so much an endorsement as I simply don't think this moment represents the most worrying in human history; I don't believe in needless partisan hyperbole. See my other posts. I don't think either of them deserve to govern this country, and I think that the fact they are what we came up with in both parties is a major indictment of our country, and a worrying sign for our future.

I assumed OP meant most worrying moment for the world in the debate since that's what this particular subforum is talking about tonight. Regardless, seems like Trump's constant "hyperbole" (the most generous way to describe it) is a bigger problem for our country than that of a message board poster.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2024, 04:24:34 AM »

I obviously hope to god we don’t actually leave NATO but I do hope this convinces Europe to start stepping up and taking their own defense seriously. The worst case scenario is Trump wins and plunges us back into like 1920s style isolationism, and Eurasia is fresh meat for Russia and China. Trump is right that Europe has been overly dependent on the US to be daddy for far too long, even as he is totally wrong in concluding that means we should stop supporting them at all.

Have you been asleep for five years or something?
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2024, 05:41:33 AM »

If the US withdraws from NATO - officially or just by Trump denouncing article 5 - that is the end of the western world order and very very very dark times are ahead. Make no mistake about this.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2024, 05:53:43 AM »

I wished Trump being elected to mean the end of NATO but unfortunately, that will not be the case.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies