Gov. Wes Moore to pardon 175,000 marijuana convictions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2024, 05:34:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Trump is “America’s Hitler”)
  Gov. Wes Moore to pardon 175,000 marijuana convictions
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gov. Wes Moore to pardon 175,000 marijuana convictions  (Read 615 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2024, 08:53:06 AM »

Starpaul20
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -5.22

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2024, 09:36:08 AM »

Based
SloopJB3
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2024, 10:15:29 AM »
« Edited: June 17, 2024, 10:18:46 AM by SloopJB3 »

Moore is putting up BIG wins ahead of a potential presidential bid in 2028.
Hopkins/Oxford grad + Black + charisma + youth + military & executive experience as Gov
Dude is a serious contender down the road.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2024, 12:30:52 PM »

Hopkins/Oxford grad + Black + charisma + youth + military & executive experience as Gov

Agreed. Democrats have been looking for the "next Obama" and it could be him.

Although if Biden wins this year, 2028 is near-guaranteed to be a Republican-friendly year.
President Johnson
Atlas Superstar
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2024, 12:53:04 PM »

Although if Biden wins this year, 2028 is near-guaranteed to be a Republican-friendly year.

In that case, Harris is probably favored anyway, and then blowing the race. Anyway, Democrats actually have a strong reservoir of candidates that year. Him, Shapiro, Whitmer, Warnock, Ossoff or Beshear, just to name a few. I'd be thrilled with either of these on the ticket, regardless of number one and number two. The remaining ones could be in key cabinet positions.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2024, 12:59:05 PM »

Democrats will not be looking for the Next Obama, that’s for sure.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2024, 06:05:59 PM »

so, WAY more than Biden has
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2024, 06:10:00 PM »

Libertarian begs federal executive to illegally override state judicial actions....
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2024, 06:14:58 PM »

Libertarian begs federal executive to illegally override state judicial actions....
my post suggests nothing of the sort, just pointing out that Biden, despite a lot of talk, has pardoned almost no one.  Thanks, as always, for paying so close attention.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2024, 06:40:28 PM »

my post suggests nothing of the sort, just pointing out that Biden, despite a lot of talk, has pardoned almost no one.  Thanks, as always, for paying so close attention.

Yeah, no. Moore pardoned a large group of people who were arrested under state marijuana laws, which Biden has no power to do.
Biden has apparently pardoned thousands of people who were arrested under federal laws: https://apnews.com/article/biden-marijuana-pardons-clemency-02abde991a05ff7dfa29bfc3c74e9d64
And the number of people he even has the power to pardon is likely significantly lower, hence why he has called on state and municipal leaders to act under their delegated authority over state and local laws. It's okay to say you just felt like venting at Biden, but it's important to point out this particular argument has no teeth.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2024, 07:02:38 PM »

my post suggests nothing of the sort, just pointing out that Biden, despite a lot of talk, has pardoned almost no one.  Thanks, as always, for paying so close attention.

Yeah, no. Moore pardoned a large group of people who were arrested under state marijuana laws, which Biden has no power to do.
Biden has apparently pardoned thousands of people who were arrested under federal laws: https://apnews.com/article/biden-marijuana-pardons-clemency-02abde991a05ff7dfa29bfc3c74e9d64
And the number of people he even has the power to pardon is likely significantly lower, hence why he has called on state and municipal leaders to act under their delegated authority over state and local laws. It's okay to say you just felt like venting at Biden, but it's important to point out this particular argument has no teeth.
dude, I know all that. I participated in the threads.  The threads where the redavs were parroting the Biden administration that what he was doing was a Big Funkin' Deal.  And it wasn't.  The rescheduling was a bigger step, but still a far smaller step than most Americans want.  Why can't the progressive party do (or even ask for/try and pass or presidential pen whip) some of the simple steps that would actually make a difference, today, to people who haven't already been screwed over by the state?  Steps the American voter wants them to take!  it's insane and further evidence that neither party actually wants to win elections.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2024, 05:42:41 AM »

Kellogg's stock up 1.2% in early trade.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2024, 08:37:49 AM »

dude, I know all that. I participated in the threads.  The threads where the redavs were parroting the Biden administration that what he was doing was a Big Funkin' Deal.  And it wasn't.  The rescheduling was a bigger step, but still a far smaller step than most Americans want.  Why can't the progressive party do (or even ask for/try and pass or presidential pen whip) some of the simple steps that would actually make a difference, today, to people who haven't already been screwed over by the state?  Steps the American voter wants them to take!  it's insane and further evidence that neither party actually wants to win elections.

How do you expect Biden to pardon people he has no power to pardon?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2024, 09:58:41 AM »

I don't.  I was mocking Biden and the people that thought Biden's pardons were a big deal.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2024, 02:28:41 PM »

I don't.  I was mocking Biden and the people that thought Biden's pardons were a big deal.

I'm sure it's a big deal to those who Biden pardoned, where a stupid petty drug conviction was stopping them from living a full life.
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2024, 03:12:10 PM »

In that case, Harris is probably favored anyway, and then blowing the race. Anyway, Democrats actually have a strong reservoir of candidates that year. Him, Shapiro, Whitmer, Warnock, Ossoff or Beshear, just to name a few. I'd be thrilled with either of these on the ticket, regardless of number one and number two. The remaining ones could be in key cabinet positions.

a.) I don't expect Harris to win a national primary unless Biden wins the election, dies in office and hands the reins of power to her.
b.) Not sure if Ossoff is really that strong a candidate.
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2024, 03:15:04 PM »

I'm sure it's a big deal to those who Biden pardoned, where a stupid petty drug conviction was stopping them from living a full life.

I'm pretty sure Dead0man was talking about pardons on a larger, macro scale, not disputing how Biden's pardons have been life-changing for the few individuals who it affected.

His point, I'm pretty sure, is that one way or another, whatever the reason, Moore has done more on this issue in a year and a half than Biden has in more than three.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2024, 03:21:59 PM »

I don't.  I was mocking Biden and the people that thought Biden's pardons were a big deal.

I'm pretty sure Dead0man was talking about pardons on a larger, macro scale, not disputing how Biden's pardons have been life-changing for the few individuals who it affected.

His point, I'm pretty sure, is that one way or another, whatever the reason, Moore has done more on this issue in a year and a half than Biden has in more than three.

Never forget that things like pardons have real people on the other side of them and never let the perfect be the enemy of the good. We can always push Biden to do more, but Biden has been the most progressive President on cannabis reform and decriminalization in our entire lifetime, that is a fact.

Deadoman always has bad words for Democrats even though they are achieving more on an issue he supposedly cares about over any GOP official. Why not save criticism for the GOP who are mostly still stuck in the past on this issue?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2024, 07:14:20 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2024, 05:36:05 AM by dead0man »

Deadoman always has bad words for Democrats even though they are achieving more on an issue he supposedly cares about over any GOP official. Why not save criticism for the GOP who are mostly still stuck in the past on this issue?
Who the hell expects the conservative party to take the lead on this issue?  That would be like criticising the Democrats for not doing more about making it easier to get a gun or open a business.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2024, 08:08:22 PM »

I don't think this particularly helps Moore for a future Presidential run, but it was the right thing to do.
Spectator
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2024, 08:42:00 PM »

Gallego as well. If Biden loses this year, Harris won’t stand a chance in the 2028 primary. Moore would be my early bet, followed by Gallego.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2024, 11:48:14 PM »

I don't think this particularly helps Moore for a future Presidential run, but it was the right thing to do.

I think it could help him in a primary run to stand out from a lot of competitive candidates. But I totally agree it was the right thing to do regardless
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies