What are you willing to do to combat global warming?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:13:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What are you willing to do to combat global warming?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: What are you willing to do to combat global warming?  (Read 10398 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2007, 10:26:48 PM »

I would gladly give up Al Gore - he emits CO2 when he breathes.  I say - GET RID OF AL!
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2007, 10:44:38 PM »

Just provoke some sort of nuclear confrontation between Russia, the US, and China, and sit back as thousands of nukes get fired in all directions. Then we can say global warming is no longer a problem when we're in a 10-year-long nuclear winter.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2007, 10:48:59 PM »

I propose doing absolutely nothing for global warming.

For a better environment ( at least once I can afford it)

-basic, turn off all lights/utilities when I'm not using them and buy power-saving utilities (I heard doing this alone can save a LOT)

-no car, but if I have to a hybrid or a high mpg car.  I would much rather motorcycle everywhere (much higher gas mileage, less consumption).  Again this would save me a lot

(who says libertarians aren't concerned with the environment, it's definitely within self-interest)

On top of this, recycle my waste.  I think it'd be nice to start a compost heap to share with neighbors.  Again, this is when I can afford to, but eating organic foods definitely save the environment, putting pesticides and other crap on fruits doesn't help the air and water pollution...

There's other stuff I would also do that doesn't readily come to mind.  Gore does have a legit concern for the environment, however I hate the fact that people think that government intervention should be the first step to protecting the environment and not the last.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 10:49:28 PM »

All you need to do is sell a nuke to a regional secessionist group or three then watch as India bombs any country which is more than 30% muslim into mad max land with the big cities being glass starting with Pakistan and Iran. It would be insane yes but it would put a dent in global warming. Can't be any worse then the radical green dreams of reducing everyone back to medievalism or worse the stone age in the name of stopping global warming...
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2007, 11:32:40 PM »

I'm prepared to launch an all out assault on global warming. My SuperDeluxe Montana Libertarian Militia and I are willing to bring all arms to bear at global warming. We've been stockpiling munitions for months now to fight a long, arduous campaign against this threat to our freedom. We intend to shoot, stab, and explode global warming until it surrenders. If it fails to do so, we may be forced to petition the government to fire nuclear missiles directly at global warming.

No wonder people think libertarians are nuts.  John, you have to reason with global warming first! Tongue
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2007, 11:46:12 PM »

Nothing, in fact I do things purposely to try and harm the environment like spraying aerosol cans.  This is because it freaks eco-nuts out and does nothing actually because man-made global warming is false.  I also plan to buy a Hummer when I can.

You know that CFCs were banned about two decades ago, so there aren't any in aerosols, right?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2007, 12:38:00 AM »

I actually bought a Honda Civic to replace my old Ford Taurus, tacking about 10mpg onto my daily commute.

If I could, I'd take mass transit to work, but that's just not an option.  It'd be a heck of a lot cheaper.

I also bought an energy usage montior from my electric company for about thirty bucks.  It's really cool -- it hooks up to the meter and tells you how many kWh you're using at any given moment.

I try to rely on the ceiling fan as much as possible over the AC, and I shut the air vents in rooms I'm not using when the air/heat is on.

Then again, I don't really do all that stuff for the environment, necessarily.  I do it because it's cheaper.  You know, fiscal conservatism and all that.

I don't know why people don't make more of an effort to be "green."  You can save a heck of a lot of money doing it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2007, 07:37:39 AM »

Nothing, in fact I do things purposely to try and harm the environment like spraying aerosol cans.  This is because it freaks eco-nuts out and does nothing actually because man-made global warming is false.  I also plan to buy a Hummer when I can.

You know that CFCs were banned about two decades ago, so there aren't any in aerosols, right?

Yeah, but they are in my refrigerator and people still freak out when you spray an aerosol can.  I think I need some new plans, maybe I'll go dump some oil in the Passaic River (although that might do anything if you know that river)
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2007, 09:35:40 AM »

Yeah, but they are in my refrigerator and people still freak out when you spray an aerosol can.  I think I need some new plans, maybe I'll go dump some oil in the Passaic River (although that might do anything if you know that river)

I can understand you don't believe in global warming and understand you won't do anything to help stop it, but why are you destroying the earth and the environment?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2007, 01:30:17 PM »

I can understand you don't believe in global warming and understand you won't do anything to help stop it, but why are you destroying the earth and the environment?

But because what I'm doing actually causes no harm unless your a TexasIndy/chicken little type
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2007, 01:33:01 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2007, 01:35:00 PM by Carving Stars »

I would say that DUMPING OIL IN A RIVER would cause quite a bit of harm.

I wonder how you would respond to some woman who doesn't consider a fetus a human, so she deliberately gets pregnant just to get an abortion so she can piss off pro-lifers? Because that's the equivalent of what you're saying.

Grow up.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2007, 01:47:13 PM »

I wonder how you would respond to some woman who doesn't consider a fetus a human, so she deliberately gets pregnant just to get an abortion so she can piss off pro-lifers? Because that's the equivalent of what you're saying.

Grow up.

Why don't you make a poll about it?  There is also a difference between actions and words.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2007, 02:36:05 PM »

I'm prepared to launch an all out assault on global warming. My SuperDeluxe Montana Libertarian Militia and I are willing to bring all arms to bear at global warming. We've been stockpiling munitions for months now to fight a long, arduous campaign against this threat to our freedom. We intend to shoot, stab, and explode global warming until it surrenders. If it fails to do so, we may be forced to petition the government to fire nuclear missiles directly at global warming.

No wonder people think libertarians are nuts.  John, you have to reason with global warming first! Tongue

I'm sorry, but global warming is beyond reasoning. Global warming is trying to kill us by overheating us or by flooding our homes! There will be no negotiation. Global warming will just use the extra time to ensure our destruction - we must strike first or die.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2007, 02:45:20 PM »

There is also a difference between actions and words.

Then stop saying things like "I really do this", and then make up random sh**t.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2007, 02:56:09 PM »

I'll try and stop farting so much.  That's about it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2007, 03:01:50 PM »

There is also a difference between actions and words.

Then stop saying things like "I really do this", and then make up random sh**t.

No I really do most of the stuff, but think about it logically, where would I get filled up oil drums?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2007, 05:12:45 PM »

Aren't you even interested in reducing your electric bill?  You could save ~$1350 a year.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2007, 06:19:47 PM »

Hmm looks like I have reduced my carbon footprint. Just got my electric bill and it shows my electricity use is down by about 20% from last year. I guess that's a result of two things:
1) I replaced many of my light bulbs with CFLs.
2) My central A/C unit kicked the bucket two months ago and I replaced it with a new one which is quite a bit more efficient. Even though we've used the AC more this year than last we're still using less electricity.

I have to admit that my motivation is financial not environmental, but I guess the result is the same either way.

Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2007, 09:12:42 PM »

One thing we have to do: ban SUV's.

I don't have air conditioning at home, and I don't have a car, so I'm not doing anything to contribute to the problem.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2007, 10:07:36 PM »

One thing we have to do: ban SUV's.

I don't have air conditioning at home, and I don't have a car, so I'm not doing anything to contribute to the problem.

Right, because that doesn't conflict with the ideology that you say Newt Gingrich, Tommy Thompson, and that other guy share.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2007, 10:26:57 PM »

Not much.  My family owns two SUVs, we leave the air conditioning on all day, we keep things on and plugged in even when we aren't using them, but my brother bought those squiggly lights that save energy and we put them in where you can't see them.

Fezzy, you're becoming a parody of yourself.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2007, 10:52:52 PM »

Meh. Not in the Passaic River. I doubt anything lives in it anyway.

(Just kidding, of course.)
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2007, 11:08:07 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2007, 11:16:38 PM by Lieutenant Governor Sensei »

Not much.  My family owns two SUVs, we leave the air conditioning on all day, we keep things on and plugged in even when we aren't using them, but my brother bought those squiggly lights that save energy and we put them in where you can't see them.

Except none of it is my fault, as I drive a small Japanese car, and tell my parents to be more environmentally conscious.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 11:10:40 PM »

I'll stop lighting my farts.

actually, methane has even more internal modes of vibration in the infrared range than carbon dioxide, and some of them have fairly high oscillator strength, so maybe we should all light our farts all the time.  Hmmm.  Somebody ought to do that calculation and compare the outcomes.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2007, 11:18:45 PM »

Well hold on there cowboy. Your home has electricity doesn't it? and heat for the wintertime and hot water doesn't it? All of those things contribute to CO2. And how about cooking? Whether you use a gas stove or electric range, or microwave, or a charcoal grille. All those things contribute. So how are you going to cut your consumption?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies