Which state is most culturally representative of the country? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:22:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Which state is most culturally representative of the country? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which state is most culturally representative of the country?  (Read 6219 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

« on: December 24, 2005, 01:15:11 AM »

Ohio

- The south part is rural.
- The centre is midwestern.
- The north is northern.
- One of the closest rates of city versus rural living to the country as a whole.

Illinois also qualifies.

I would agree. OH has better balance of the different types than IL, but IL does better at representing diverse groups such as the Hispanic population. Also southern IL is more "southern" than southern OH, IMO, so it gets better diversity from that as well.

I agree with Illinois. It's southern end does stretch down further than Ohio. Ohio simply does not represent the south well to me.

As for Missouri, St. Louis is simply not big enough of a city to represent urban America. It is a bygone of the early 20th century, a relic long past its prime. And the state's persistence as a bellwether over Delaware is purely an accident of the accidental 2000 election-- if 600 votes had gone the other way in Florida, Delaware might easily be receiving all the hype that Missouri currently gets.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies