Would a Dem Biden swap really save the election for the Dems?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 01:25:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would a Dem Biden swap really save the election for the Dems?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Would a Dem Biden swap really save the election for the Dems?  (Read 904 times)
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2024, 04:04:12 AM »

I don’t think so.

It would be chaotic, disorganized, rushed, and an overall folly.

No one likes Harris, so she is doomed if she picked up the mantle.

Anyone else would need time for the electorate to give proper name recognition. While Newsom is a Mitt Romney like snake, but even worse, he’s not universally known. Name recognition takes an electoral cycle to cement. (Why Romney was smart to campaign in 2008, and then ready for 2012 as an example).

It’s Biden or bust at this point.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2024, 04:20:32 AM »

Probably not, but it would give us a fighting chance, whereas with Biden we need a goddamn miracle.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2024, 06:38:35 AM »

It's too late for that, maybe if there was an obvious election winner waiting in the wings but there isn't. Any alternative candidate would be a gamble not worth taking. Like it or not we have to stick with Biden and hope.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 07:27:17 AM »

Short of a serious medical emergency, it ain't happening.  And, if it did, at this point, it would just ensure a Trump victory.
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 08:04:35 AM »

It's a roll of the dice, but it might.

Biden is less popular than the party and running behind many of its Senate candidates. Even a mediocrity like Harris could pull things in their direction. It's one thing to have a candidate who is merely uninspiring, and quite another to have a doddering, out-of-touch figure dragging the party down.

This is all the more important because Democrats are missing out on an opportunity to lay down an obvious contrast with Republicans. It's hard to keep voters focused on Trump's age-related decline when your own candidate is confusedly reading stage directions off of the teleprompter and seeming to forget what year it is.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 08:07:12 AM »

Replacing Biden would lead to an almost certain loss. It’s just not a good look. The time to replace him would have been through the primary system. The only way it wouldn’t be a disaster is if he needed to be replaced because he was sick/ passed away.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 08:31:02 AM »

Is it that time of the month again?

Biden isn't going to be replaced, and wasn't ever since he announced in April 2023. Unless there's a sudden change in his health, he's going to be the nominee. End of story.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 09:11:30 AM »

Replacing Biden would lead to an almost certain loss. It’s just not a good look. The time to replace him would have been through the primary system. The only way it wouldn’t be a disaster is if he needed to be replaced because he was sick/ passed away.

I actually disagree. I feel Biden is the weak link of this administration. I wouldn't mind giving Harris a try, frankly.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 09:43:12 AM »

Biden would’ve had to have decided in 2022 or early 2023 at the latest that he wouldn’t be seeking a second term (and not have claimed before then that he would.) It would have to look like he was not pressured into said choice. In that case, then yes, I could see a different Democrat (not literally any other Democrat, but some), in better shape than Biden, though his popularity would still be a drag on them. The conversations about replacing him even if he doesn’t want to step down, particularly from late 2023 on, have always been silly and wishful thinking.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 11:55:07 AM »

Which Dems are actually more electable than Biden?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2024, 11:56:10 AM »

If this was last yr of course Biden should of been replaced but Newsom and Harris already said they want to wait til 28 not 24
DS0816
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2024, 12:37:48 PM »

I don’t think so.

It would be chaotic, disorganized, rushed, and an overall folly.

No one likes Harris, so she is doomed if she picked up the mantle.

Anyone else would need time for the electorate to give proper name recognition. While Newsom is a Mitt Romney like snake, but even worse, he’s not universally known. Name recognition takes an electoral cycle to cement. (Why Romney was smart to campaign in 2008, and then ready for 2012 as an example).

It’s Biden or bust at this point.

On a topic of Joe Biden’s job approval, I wrote about this here — https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=583614.msg9399289#msg9399289 — with the following:

Not only is Biden not positioned for re-election … the Democratic Party is not positioned to win a hold for U.S. President. And the Democratic Party—whether Biden or anyone else [is their general-election nominee]—is also not positioned to win the 2024 U.S. Popular Vote for U.S. President.
Rubensim
Rookie
Malta

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2024, 12:43:28 PM »

"Boss, I got a call. It's Trump. He said he wants me to thank you for easily giving him back the White House." - what the new democrat candidate would hear if biden get swapped

Swapping Biden for someone else might have worked back in 2023 or even January but it may and now it Biden or a Guaranted election lost.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2024, 12:49:13 PM »

Which Dems are actually more electable than Biden?
Obama24
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2024, 12:50:34 PM »

This is going to be an issue for both parties in 2028. I can't think of anyone likable in either major party that is up and coming. Kamala, maybe, at best.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2024, 12:55:03 PM »

This is going to be an issue for both parties in 2028. I can't think of anyone likable in either major party that is up and coming. Kamala, maybe, at best.

Beshear? Whitmer? Shapiro? Warnock? Kelly? Ossoff? Gallego? Polis? Moore? The Democratic bench in 2028 is loaded with top-tier candidates.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2024, 02:12:51 PM »

At this rate, I don’t know if it would save the election for the Dems, but I certainly think the gamble would almost always improve their current standing. People are clamoring for anyone other than Biden or Trump, and Biden is under polling with Blacks, Hispanics, and youth.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2024, 02:15:02 PM »

Since I'm not allowed to make a thread on this, or anything, until after the election is over because I have the "wrong political views", I thought I'd share this.

https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/statistics/data/presidential-news-conferences

Biden has had the lowest yearly average press conferences since Ronald Reagan, and before that, Richard Nixon.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2024, 04:42:05 PM »

Not necessarily, but it may call the bluff of Americans who seem to hate Biden but love other Democrats.

(As long as it isn't Harris or Newsom as the replacement)
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2024, 04:45:21 PM »

Beshear? Whitmer? Shapiro? Warnock? Kelly? Ossoff? Gallego? Polis? Moore? The Democratic bench in 2028 is loaded with top-tier candidates.

To be fair, we don't know how popular these candidates will remain once the GOP hammers them with their attack ads, and they know how to be vicious. Hillary Clinton was extremely popular prior to the 2016 election, and we all know how that turned out. Plus some of them might fizzle out once they're actually in the spotlight a la Ron DeSantis.
henster
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2024, 07:17:23 PM »

Biden has a major communication problem, he stumbles and slurs through all of his speeches so no one is focusing on what his message is but how old and doddering he comes off as. I think just having a Democrat who can clearly articulate their vision and confidently go tit for tat with Trump or any Republican would go a long way.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2024, 04:19:00 AM »

Biden has a major communication problem, he stumbles and slurs through all of his speeches so no one is focusing on what his message is but how old and doddering he comes off as. I think just having a Democrat who can clearly articulate their vision and confidently go tit for tat with Trump or any Republican would go a long way.

This.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2024, 08:32:05 AM »

I feel like Newsom is the best bet, but it is pretty obvious that the only alternative to Biden (in case of a health emergency) is Harris. Unpopular as she is, I still think she's got a better shot than Biden right now.
Anti-Trump Truth Socialite JD Vance Enjoying Juror
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2024, 08:36:22 AM »

Virginia said it was my turn to post this thread
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2024, 02:04:17 PM »

This.

At this point Biden is systematically underperforming Generic Dem in polling and he has clear vulnerabilities that will show more and more as in-person campaigning heats up.  Are people really so worried about a couple "Dems in disarray" news cycles 3-6 months before the election that they would rather ride it out with Biden than sub in a mega-popular swing state governor?  Why?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies