Births to White mothers a minority for first time in 2023
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 10:34:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Births to White mothers a minority for first time in 2023
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Births to White mothers a minority for first time in 2023  (Read 928 times)
Beet
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 26, 2024, 10:53:40 AM »

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/vsrr/vsrr035.pdf

Table 2 says that 1,783,962 births were to non-Hispanic white mothers in the US in 2023 vs. 3,591,328 total, or under 50%. I believe this is the first time this has happened since the Colonial era?
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 02:46:59 PM »

A Pew Research Center analysis in 2012 says this happened 12 years ago:

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2012/05/17/explaining-why-minority-births-now-outnumber-white-births/

They could be wrong, and I'll defer to the cdc, but I remember reading stuff like this ten years ago.
wnwnwn
Peru

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 04:06:28 PM »

Has Dobbs any influence on this?
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2024, 04:19:57 PM »

Are non-white fertility rates actually higher than white fertility rates?
First1There
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2024, 07:49:30 PM »

They are slightly higher. Pacific Islanders the highest at 2.1 and Hispanics at 1.8. Black people are average and white people slightly below average. Native Americans and Asians are very low, at 1.4 and 1.3.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/226292/us-fertility-rates-by-race-and-ethnicity/
Kamala's side hoe
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 08:36:18 PM »

They are slightly higher. Pacific Islanders the highest at 2.1 and Hispanics at 1.8. Black people are average and white people slightly below average. Native Americans and Asians are very low, at 1.4 and 1.3.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/226292/us-fertility-rates-by-race-and-ethnicity/

Hispanic is basically 1.9, Native rounds up to 1.5, and Asian is more like 1.35. I wonder what the numbers are for "Other" and "Mixed race"
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 10:48:30 PM »

A Pew Research Center analysis in 2012 says this happened 12 years ago:

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-trends/2012/05/17/explaining-why-minority-births-now-outnumber-white-births/

They could be wrong, and I'll defer to the cdc, but I remember reading stuff like this ten years ago.

Those were based on incorrect Census estimates, I believe. The CDC data is much more accurate as it is based on actual reported births.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 11:19:56 PM »

Kinda miraculous anyone's having kids at all in this economy.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2024, 02:39:38 PM »

The better the economy is, the less people have kids.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2024, 04:46:59 PM »

I sometimes hear people express that it is too expensive to have children, but the third world seems to refute that notion. In reality a lot of what Americans consider expenses of childbearing are unreasonable (e.g. having a separate bedroom for each child).
Steve from Lambeth
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2024, 08:36:37 AM »

I sometimes hear people express that it is too expensive to have children, but the third world seems to refute that notion. In reality a lot of what Americans consider expenses of childbearing are unreasonable (e.g. having a separate bedroom for each child).
This particular assumption was a huge flashpoint during the UK Universal Credit/"bedroom tax" debates of 2013, when children of the same sex below a certain age (I think 12?) were expected to bunk together in order to avoid parents on benefits being docked a certain amount.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2024, 12:25:06 PM »

This - I think in America the cost of having children has gone up in large part because our standards for raising kids as a culture have increased. It used to be 4 kids might share a bedroom and help their parents with work, but now the convention is no more than 2 to a bedroom (ideally everyone gets their one), you need childcare, cycling through tons of fun toys as they age, ect.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2024, 01:14:28 PM »

This - I think in America the cost of having children has gone up in large part because our standards for raising kids as a culture have increased. It used to be 4 kids might share a bedroom and help their parents with work, but now the convention is no more than 2 to a bedroom (ideally everyone gets their one), you need childcare, cycling through tons of fun toys as they age, ect.

That kids are expected to be "independent" at such a young age is also why the developed world is so neurotic/mentally ill.  In real countries, like India or Nigeria, you'll constantly be sh[inks]t-tested by "the clan" your whole life, with nowhere to run or hide LMAO
Burke Bro
omelott
Israel

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2024, 01:05:31 AM »

That kids are expected to be "independent" at such a young age is also why the developed world is so neurotic/mentally ill.  In real countries, like India or Nigeria, you'll constantly be sh[inks]t-tested by "the clan" your whole life, with nowhere to run or hide LMAO

But even in highly clan-centric cultures, birth rates have collapsed. In East Asia, for instance, birth rates are on par with or below the West. India is below replacement level now too. It’s really a matter of urbanization and it being impractical raise kids in an urban area. In contrast, kids are a necessity in rural places with subsistence agriculture. Having extra labor to work your land could make the difference between your family starving or surviving a bad harvest year.
KakyoinMemeHouse
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2024, 09:27:44 AM »

This is probably a good thing.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2024, 06:44:55 PM »

Get the Nazis off of here.