Hillary blames women for her loss
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 06:45:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hillary blames women for her loss
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Hillary blames women for her loss  (Read 853 times)
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2024, 11:29:45 PM »

I'm not sure why Horus couldn't have added that quote, but it still doesn't say who the 'they' is. Is it 'women'? Is it a certain subset of women? Maybe she wasn't even referring to women.

Again - you have the power and ability to seek this out for yourself! If you are unsure about this I encourage you to read the source interview.

She's certainly not wrong in so far as polls still show that many more people won't vote for a woman for President than for a man. There certainly should be nothing controversial about that quote for anybody to make anything out of, and it certainly doesn't suggest she's unwilling to take responsibility.

This debate is ancient at this point, and extremely tedious, so I'm not going to put a lot of effort into  pointing out the many, many reasons why it is ridiculous. But I have so, so little patience for this kind of argument these days.

If you take the premise seriously - that women face an electoral penalty from voters that men don't face - then the obvious conclusion is that women shouldn't be running in at all in any movement that wants to win elections. The only goal of a Presidential candidate is to win the damn race. If Hillary was aware of this risk and decided to run despite the massive handicap - not only that but embrace it as part of her campaign - then she was committing malpractice that was extremely damaging to any movement that she supports. You don't get to choose to run for office then complain that you face a unique disadvantage when you don't win - if you're taking your job and this apparently obvious disadvantage seriously, then you shouldn't run in the first place.

As far as "responsibility" goes, it's hard to think of anything further from taking responsibility than her quote. "Voters didn't vote for me because they demanded perfection" only makes sense if you assume the premise that you are not perfect, i.e., made mistakes. Yet the blame here doesn't lie with her for making mistakes, but instead with the voters because they did not tolerate her mistakes. It's honestly embarrassing that you'd even think of arguing that the quoted passage looks anything like taking responsibility.

And before I get assaulted with personal attacks I voted for Clinton twice in 2016 and was a diehard Warren supporter until it was obvious her campaign was not viable.

I said basically this after the 2016 election and was accused of being a misogynist.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2024, 12:12:44 AM »

This is another piece of evidence that Hillary is seeking to blame only external factors for her defeat instead of looking inward. Given how close the election ended up being (the margin in the tipping point state was <1%), all she needed to do was to improve her campaign strategy a little bit in order to get past the finish line.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2024, 12:25:09 AM »

This is another piece of evidence that Hillary is seeking to blame only external factors for her defeat instead of looking inward. Given how close the election ended up being (the margin in the tipping point state was <1%), all she needed to do was to improve her campaign strategy a little bit in order to get past the finish line.

Is it not factual that Biden barely outperformed Clinton in a few places despite being declared a superior candidate? There are a number of indicators that there were things totally out of Clinton's control as proven by the fact at Biden under performed polling as she did. There are simply people who aren't going to vote for you no matter what you say or do, but that's what a lot of Democrats don't get. They think carpetbombing West Virginia with ads saying "we care" is going to make a difference when it won't.
Benjamin Frank 2.0
Frank 2.0
Canada

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2024, 12:54:25 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2024, 01:05:29 AM by Benjamin Frank 2.0 »

I'm not sure why Horus couldn't have added that quote, but it still doesn't say who the 'they' is. Is it 'women'? Is it a certain subset of women? Maybe she wasn't even referring to women.

Again - you have the power and ability to seek this out for yourself! If you are unsure about this I encourage you to read the source interview.

She's certainly not wrong in so far as polls still show that many more people won't vote for a woman for President than for a man. There certainly should be nothing controversial about that quote for anybody to make anything out of, and it certainly doesn't suggest she's unwilling to take responsibility.

This debate is ancient at this point, and extremely tedious, so I'm not going to put a lot of effort into  pointing out the many, many reasons why it is ridiculous. But I have so, so little patience for this kind of argument these days.

If you take the premise seriously - that women face an electoral penalty from voters that men don't face - then the obvious conclusion is that women shouldn't be running in at all in any movement that wants to win elections. The only goal of a Presidential candidate is to win the damn race. If Hillary was aware of this risk and decided to run despite the massive handicap - not only that but embrace it as part of her campaign - then she was committing malpractice that was extremely damaging to any movement that she supports. You don't get to choose to run for office then complain that you face a unique disadvantage when you don't win - if you're taking your job and this apparently obvious disadvantage seriously, then you shouldn't run in the first place.

As far as "responsibility" goes, it's hard to think of anything further from taking responsibility than her quote. "Voters didn't vote for me because they demanded perfection" only makes sense if you assume the premise that you are not perfect, i.e., made mistakes. Yet the blame here doesn't lie with her for making mistakes, but instead with the voters because they did not tolerate her mistakes. It's honestly embarrassing that you'd even think of arguing that the quoted passage looks anything like taking responsibility.

And before I get assaulted with personal attacks I voted for Clinton twice in 2016 and was a diehard Warren supporter until it was obvious her campaign was not viable.

Yes, you are tedious.

1.Somebody has to crack the glass ceiling.

2.You added the word 'massive' to handicap. Even if she and the people who voted for her in the primary agreed at that time this was a handicap, it's certain she thought that it wasn't impossible to overcome. And, she did win the popular vote.

3.She was neither taking responsibility here nor denying it.

It is interesting that you argue with me over Hilary Clinton but, I forget the specifics of the previous time we got into a debate, but I believe you were saying that I was being unfair to not give some obvious horrible person the benefit of the doubt for being clearly sexist. It seems to me, despite what you say about how you voted, that you're clearly sexist as well.

Maybe you should take responsibility for that rather than ridiculously claiming 'some of my favorite politicians are women.'
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2024, 02:26:14 AM »

Who hasn't she blamed at this point?

(I mean, aside from herself)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2024, 02:48:31 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2024, 02:52:17 AM by Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers »

Actually it the McCain phenomenal, because without McCain the GOP Maverick wing is gone and Biden won in 2020 when AZ changed from R to D. McCain outreach to women and Cindy McCain was great. He didn't win in 2008 because of Obama coalition, Larry Craig downlow sex sting and Maga Palin. But, he helped Bush W and Trump win. Remember Pence praised McCain in 2016 when they won, because AZ was in play and without AZ Rs don't win

Ever since 2018 Maricopa has become an D county. So, the Maverick wing of the R party cost Hillary the Prez with it's outreach to women.

Ds lost Teddy Kennedy in 2008 and Scott Brown won and 2010 turned into a bloodbath because there was no Teddy Kennedy to sell Obamacare, Ds recovered because of McCain's death as I  said already

If McCain won in 2000 instead of Bush W we could of seen a GOP realignment by now, but Bush W won
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2024, 02:52:01 AM »

Apparently people here don't even bother anymore to read other people's posts. So let me put this up again in case somebody is really interested about the facts instead of venting against the ogress who ruined their childhoods.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/12/politics/hillary-clinton-what-happened-mistakes/index.html
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2024, 05:03:38 AM »

She's right.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2024, 06:46:06 AM »

Hillary looking for who cost her the election
quesaisje
Electric Circus
United States

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2024, 07:39:16 AM »

Bill. She's been more critical of herself than she has of him.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2024, 07:44:30 AM »

Can she (and her disgusting letch of a husband) please just go away and sin no more?

Was Kim Campbell still whining in the early 2000s about how her political career ended?

Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2024, 07:45:20 AM »

A certain woman decided to run ads in California and Texas  and not Michigan or Wisconsin.

She campaigned heavily in Pennsylvania and all she got was higher turnout on both sides than MI or WI with Trump still eking out a win.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2024, 08:20:27 AM »

Is it not factual that Biden barely outperformed Clinton in a few places despite being declared a superior candidate? There are a number of indicators that there were things totally out of Clinton's control as proven by the fact at Biden under performed polling as she did. There are simply people who aren't going to vote for you no matter what you say or do, but that's what a lot of Democrats don't get. They think carpetbombing West Virginia with ads saying "we care" is going to make a difference when it won't.

Biden is the superior candidate because he won. That is literally the only job ultimately a candidate has to do, win. Things like downballot races are bonuses; in a race, the goal is to win. He won; she didn't. She took the Rust Belt for granted; he didn't.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2024, 06:20:00 PM »

If America could elect a black president despite Black people only being 13% of the electorate, then it can elect a women president, with women being most of the electorate.

The idea that America will never elect a woman is ridiculous. Hillary was just a terrible candidate, no different than Michael Dukakis or Mitt Romney.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2024, 01:13:12 PM »

If America could elect a black president despite Black people only being 13% of the electorate, then it can elect a women president, with women being most of the electorate.

The idea that America will never elect a woman is ridiculous. Hillary was just a terrible candidate, no different than Michael Dukakis or Mitt Romney.

Agreed. Also, Hillary would have won in 2008, like almost any Democrat.

I think it's somewhat fair game to put blame on the electorate though. Yes, Hillary wasn't a good candidate or at least ran a medicore campaign, the question is whether that was justification to vote for Trump instead. I would say No. This man was utterly unqualified for the job, both professionally and morally.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2024, 01:55:08 PM »

The absolute state of the Democratic Party. We're never allowed to hold them accountable.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2024, 02:08:02 PM »

Turns out that after all these years, Hillary Clinton is in fact standing by her man like Tammy Wynette.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2024, 02:16:46 PM »

That’s probably because he is a complete afterthought in her life at this point. Do you think they even talk or spend any time together? The whole relationship is nonexistent, it seems.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2024, 02:19:05 PM »

That’s probably because he is a complete afterthought in her life at this point. Do you think they even talk or spend any time together? The whole relationship is nonexistent, it seems.

Would guess they are the type of couple who are still together both for political reasons and because in their generation you didn't get divorced, but sleep in separate bedrooms and have separate lives. This is just a guess based on Boomers I've known with similar troubled marital lives.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies