Agree or disagree: The debates will determine Biden's fate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:05:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Agree or disagree: The debates will determine Biden's fate.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Agree or disagree: The debates will determine Biden's fate.  (Read 528 times)
Obama24
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2024, 06:53:31 AM »

I have argued over and over that there has been a consistent failure of this administration to:

1) Sell their accomplishments to the public

2) Successfully counter the image of Biden as asleep at the wheel / frail / having dementia etc, instead of creating the image of him as a hard worker for the American people that is sacrificing his golden years for the people.

3) Successfully counter the perception that the economy isn't good, or, effectively seed blame for things such as inflation as being a result of Trump's massive Covid spending

4) Failed among the average voter to really sell the differences between Biden and Trump in any meaningful way.

Your average non-partisan voter really  does not care about January 6th 2021.

I don't think many grasp that to a hungry family, democracy isn't the sanctity of a building that houses unpopular people in Washington, it's someone being able to put food on their table. To a person struggling to make rent, democracy isn't some hallowed virtue but rather the ability to live in freedom of fear from eviction. Democracy becomes an abstract for one because of our poor educational system and because ultimately people value their wallets over ideals.

5) Has failed to make young voters and voters of color, who are among the cornerstones of the Democratic Party, sufficiently excited, engaged, and enthusiastic. Low turn out traditionally is the death of a Democratic administration.

Obama due to both the novelty of his biracial heritage but also because of his natural charisma, his hard work and outreach and PR campaigns and engagement, held and still holds a sway over the youth of America even today. He'd win a 300+ EV if he could run this year.

Bill Clinton presented himself as a young, energetic, dedicated worker of the American people and essentially was the 90s version of JFK. Biden doesn't inspire any similar enthusiasm, nor does he have any similar charisma to either of his immediate Dem predecessors.

We are an apathetic, increasingly low attention having society who values the security of our wallets over most things.

We have 300 million people or so, yet, only a little over half the eligible voters of this country tend to vote with any regularity in Presidential elections. Most people simply do not care enough about this Republic or the democracy which governs it enough to sustain it, truthfully.

What people care about is image, and perception, rather than reality.

The economy is doing pretty well, but the working class person and the young voter aren't feeling that boom trickle down. There are many institutional failures such as a hard job market and unfair employment standards that have left many jaded. There is the perception that we are in a malaise even if this isn't statistically accurate.

As such, I feel that the debates - however many there will be - are Biden's last chance to turn the ship around, to present himself as an effective and strong leader who has been working hard for people. To show yes, he's old, but he's not frail or demented. To show he's the better alternative to a section of the public that doesn't see any meaningful difference in their lives from D to R or R to D.

The debates this year more than anything else will make or break this election, not any criminal conviction if there is any.

Agree? Or disagree?
SnowLabrador
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 07:47:29 AM »

I actually agree with this, at least to some extent. Biden's been letting Trump dominate the news cycle, which is his biggest mistake. Trump's a fool to agree to debate - he's leading!
Obama24
United States
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 07:58:44 AM »

I actually agree with this, at least to some extent. Biden's been letting Trump dominate the news cycle, which is his biggest mistake. Trump's a fool to agree to debate - he's leading!

I'd also blame the news media for covering every fart he makes. They've been guilty of this since 2015 because he is the ultimate form of clickbait and they are desperate for views. If Trump wasn't normalized by the media as soon as he declared a good chunk of Mexicans rapists, he'd never have had the Presidency. I feel the mainstream media is just as guilty as Trump himself for creating and building MAGA.

And I agree, Trump only really stands to lose if he debates Joe.

I don't really see an upside. Why give your opponent air time when you're leading?

Unless, of course, you yourself are scared the polls are wrong. Or you're just that deeply insecure and easily led by ego.

If Biden comes off like he did at the SOTU, or is even basically just coherent, he'll be seen as the winner; in the public's perception of Biden, the bar is that low. And Biden will be, I feel, in attack mode the entire debate.

Trump is kinda used to weak opponents like Jeb or "Little Marco", who are overwhelmed by him; we saw in 2020 Biden isn't that way; or people who hold to traditional debate standards like Hillary; Biden as we saw in 2020 isn't afraid to go low if he has to. I can actually see a curse or two being slung at these debates given the absolute and accrued animosity between these two.

Also, Trump of 2024 isn't 2016 Trump. He doesn't himself have the same ADHD manic energy he used to. If he comes off the way he has in recent rallies, and Biden comes off just basically oriented to place and time, he'll lose the debate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 11:51:49 AM »

I sort of disagree.

It will be an important opportunity to change the narrative and counter Trump's points, while making his volatility clear to all of America, but debates only remain relevant so long, especially with Trump. Certainly some material may be mined from it for the foreseeable future.

On the other hand, where I do sort of agree, Biden needs to perform well to inspire confidence again, like with the State of the Union. Though any positive effects from the debate will likely last just as long.
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 12:09:38 PM »

I actually think if the debates happen earlier this year they'll end up mattering less, they might have been forgotten by Election Day.
Bush did 311
Vatnos
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 12:28:20 PM »

I think there's a reason we have a debate before the conventions. Democrats still have a chance to replace Biden at the convention. This will be a litmus test to see if he can hack it and bring the race back and if he can't, there's always plan B. Republicans are unfortunately stuck with Trump regardless of what happens.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 01:23:05 PM »

I think there's a reason we have a debate before the conventions. Democrats still have a chance to replace Biden at the convention. This will be a litmus test to see if he can hack it and bring the race back and if he can't, there's always plan B. Republicans are unfortunately stuck with Trump regardless of what happens.

I actually think that's part of why there's been seeding for astro turf support of Kamala on Twitter etc. They're trying to set her up as the candidate who can get the youth vote. I think it's very possible Biden has been told to perform well or step down in June.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 03:19:52 PM »

The debates are meaningless they are gonna be a class warfare between the rich and poor about tax cuts and oil Companies get the bulk of Trump tax cuts when they were slashed from 35/21 it's a rehash from 2012 when Obama debated Romney, at least Romney said he wanted to close the tax loopholes for Corporate Trump doesn't even talk about that
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 03:21:37 PM »

I think they'll be highly influential, but not the sole determining factor.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2024, 10:42:58 AM »

Only if he either totally sucks or has a performance even better than SOTU. More likely they determine Trump's fate, if he has another meltdown or talks even more nonsense than usual.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2024, 11:34:15 AM »

No, most of us live in Safe D or R states the Eday is gonna come down to NV/AZ as I said Rs have the polls Ds have Maricopa and Clark county. That's it it's gonna come down to two states to get Biden to 275 and 290 without NE 2 and ME 2 but NE 2 maybe 270 vote because there is a hotly contested S race in NE
Donald Trump’s Toupée
GOP_Represent

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2024, 12:49:38 PM »

Unless Joe really does flail and flop around, I doubt the debate will have any effect.

I recall from my studies that presidential debates don’t really make a difference. Maybe it will be different with earlier debates.

I like the debates so I hope that both do debate.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2024, 12:55:02 PM »

I actually think that's part of why there's been seeding for astro turf support of Kamala on Twitter etc. They're trying to set her up as the candidate who can get the youth vote. I think it's very possible Biden has been told to perform well or step down in June.

And who exactly is telling him this
KYRockefeller
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2024, 05:38:40 PM »

Oh my, if the Democrats think replacing Joe with Kamala is going to net a better outcome, I don't know what to tell them.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2024, 07:16:38 PM »

And who exactly is telling him this

DNC figures. If you think they're happy with the poll numbers, I assure you they're not. I actually think Kamala would have a better chance of beating Trump than Biden does.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2024, 08:14:26 PM »

Short of having a senior moment or falling unconscious on stage, I strongly disagree.  Biden would like to pick up moderates and independents but the debate is not the only way.  He could do well and help his campaign or bomb and have his work cut out for him until the election, but the debates will not determine his fate.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2024, 08:18:39 PM »

No, we live in safe red or blue states it's gonna come down to the Midwest and the Sunbelt AZ/NV GA and NC are just wave insurance I keep saying the same thing
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2024, 09:47:59 PM »

The debates, if they actually happen, will matter very very little.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies