Would you support lowering the eligibility to be President to 18?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 11:57:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Would you support lowering the eligibility to be President to 18?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Would you support lowering the eligibility to be President to 18?
Yes

No

AGEIST! Why not have it be 8?!

Some other age between 18 and 35 would be better

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: Would you support lowering the eligibility to be President to 18?  (Read 566 times)
Obama24
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 25, 2024, 06:21:23 AM »

Well? You obviously want lifelong Presidents now in an overwhelming majority. So, should we drop any age requirement whatsoever?
Trans Rights Are Human Rights
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 06:27:23 AM »

Sure, why not. Old enough to vote, old enough to run.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 12:03:12 PM »

I’ll settle this once and for all. Let’s limit the people eligible for the presidency—along with every other public office, and even voting—to citizens between the ages of 5 and 9, and those 90 and above. 10-89-year-olds (as well as people under 5) get no voice in government.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 12:08:30 PM »

Age limits are arbitrary, but this is still too low of an age.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 12:14:45 PM »

Yes, there shouldn't be age limits beyond majority age.

I think most other countries don't require minimum age for their chief executive either. There's no requirement for the chancellor of Germany for example, though 40 for the (ceremonial) president.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 03:44:24 PM »

Yes. 35 is archaic and arbitrary and it unnecessarily precludes Americans from choosing a qualified candidate just because they're "too young."

Most of the time, of course it is, and the people can see that and make that call for themselves.
But I don't believe that an 18-year-old is just by virtue of his age automatically unfit to govern; in some cases, he could be quite able, or at least be a better choice than the alternatives.

18 is a good choice because that is the age of majority and the age at which one is legally an adult - old enough to serve in the military, old enough to marry, old enough to vote, etc. They should be old enough to run for any elected office, too.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 03:54:10 PM »

Yes. 35 is archaic and arbitrary and it unnecessarily precludes Americans from choosing a qualified candidate just because they're "too young."

Most of the time, of course it is, and the people can see that and make that call for themselves.
But I don't believe that an 18-year-old is just by virtue of his age automatically unfit to govern; in some cases, he could be quite able, or at least be a better choice than the alternatives.

18 is a good choice because that is the age of majority and the age at which one is legally an adult - old enough to serve in the military, old enough to marry, old enough to vote, etc. They should be old enough to run for any elected office, too.

Brain doesn't stop developing til 25. Teenagers aren't the brightest bunch lol, still having raging hormones, and you want to hand them nuclear codes. Good luck with that.
Schiff for Senate
CentristRepublican
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2024, 04:04:47 PM »

Brain doesn't stop developing til 25. Teenagers aren't the brightest bunch lol, still having raging hormones, and you want to hand them nuclear codes. Good luck with that.

?

I don't want an 18-year-old elected president, necessarily (and given the points you've made, I highly doubt other Americans do either; ergo, it probably will never happen barring extraordinary circumstances). But nor do I want the right to elect an 18-year-old president just taken away. Even if it is granted, it's a right that likely will never be exercised. As a matter of principle, however, 18 years old is the age of adulthood and the age to begin enjoying its benefits -- one of those benefits should be the right to run for office, even if it's the highest office in the land.
Obama24
United States
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2024, 04:15:06 PM »

?

I don't want an 18-year-old elected president, necessarily (and given the points you've made, I highly doubt other Americans do either; ergo, it probably will never happen barring extraordinary circumstances). But nor do I want the right to elect an 18-year-old president just taken away. Even if it is granted, it's a right that likely will never be exercised. As a matter of principle, however, 18 years old is the age of adulthood and the age to begin enjoying its benefits -- one of those benefits should be the right to run for office, even if it's the highest office in the land.

I tend to believe that the legal age of adulthood should be raised to 21, as a compromise between 18 and the developmental adulthood of 25. 18 year old Zoomers are not the 18 year olds of times past. Much less mature and lacking in life experience that isn't online as well as generally empathy levels.
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2024, 07:20:03 PM »

25 methinks, just like House.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2024, 09:33:54 PM »

Sure.

As we've seen, most office holders are like 30-40 years older than the legal minimum anyways. Maybe this would actually lead to someone in their 40's/50's being president.
certified hummus supporter 🇵🇸🤝🇺🇸🤝🇺🇦
AverageFoodEnthusiast
Junior Chimp
Virgin Islands, U.S.

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2024, 11:51:24 PM »

Sure. I can't wait till we get TikTok E-boys on the debate stage running against literal fossils
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2024, 08:50:52 AM »

Your brain will continue to develop until the day you die. There is no significance to the age 25 whatsoever, that is something the media flat out made up
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2024, 10:34:01 AM »

Yup.

Btw, I think the only qualifactions should be voting age and US citizenship. Repeal both the natural-born citizen clause and minimum age.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2024, 10:14:15 AM »

35 might be too high, but 18 is definitely too low, as the brain isn’t even fully developed yet.
MyLifeIsYours
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -6.61

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2024, 10:35:22 AM »

30 would be a better minimum age to lower the eligibility. Good enough life experience by that age you should be able to run for the oval office.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2024, 11:09:28 AM »

25 or 30 like the House or Senate would make more sense to me.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2024, 01:28:29 PM »

Eligibility should begin at conception.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2024, 04:49:09 AM »

There won't be an old Prez after Biden or Trump ever again so it's no need
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2024, 02:57:04 PM »

Yes, 25 for House, Senate, and presidency.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2024, 03:54:40 PM »

Yes, and eligibility restrictions should be determined by legislation, not in the Constitution.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2024, 04:07:36 PM »

I think 25 (when the brain is fully developed for most people) is probably better, but the age limits for house and senate should be lowered to 18.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2024, 04:11:24 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2024, 04:27:10 PM by dead0man »

get rid of the age, add a competency test
Cokeland Saxton
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -6.26

P
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2024, 01:59:51 AM »

I would not want a president that young for some pretty obvious reasons
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2024, 02:13:01 AM »

I wonder if the 2003 California gubernatorial recall election has the widest age range of any election, featuring both an 18 year old and a 100 year old.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies